asandford

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:35 pm

I tried to order one from CPC, but got this:
  • Pending Your order has been received.
    Received Your order has been assigned an order number and is currently being processed.
    Complete Your order has been processed and shipped.
    Processing Your order is being processed.
    Shipped This item has been processed and shipped. Click the tracking number for shipment information.
    Partially shipped Part of this item has been shipped. Click the tracking number for shipment information.
    Back order This item is on back order and will be despatched when stock is available.
    Scheduled This item is scheduled for delivery at a future date.
    Cancelled This item has been cancelled.
If you try and order it, it's still stating that it's in stock.

[EDIT] And no email saying that they had cancelled it.
Last edited by asandford on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikronauts

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Hopefully they will ship my B+'s tomorrow.

Compute Module kits show no stock, some arriving soon, lead time 11 weeks :(
fruitoftheloom wrote:
mikronauts wrote:I managed to order some Raspberry Pi Model B+'s!

All those test points on the bottom of the board look mighty tempting...

Now waiting for the compute module starter kit to be in stock.
It is a Compute Module Development Kit $230.00
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

Richard-TX

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Heater wrote:Richard-Tx,
If you guys are bored, why not come up with a SBC that uses the ARMv8-A processor running at 3 Ghz?
Food for thought.
It's the same food for thought that has been regurgitated here many times. It's a pointless idea. Such an SBC would be a total redesign, for which the resources are not available I guess. It would not be totally backward compatible so it's uptake among the two million and growing Pi users would be limited. It would require a whole new OS to be supported. Not to mention all the documentation. It would cause endless confusion among "Pi" users. It would end up just being in competition with the Cubie boards and many others and it would not succeed.
Backwards compatibility, a single "Pi" standard and the longevity of the platform is very valuable to everyone. A whole new design is not, there are already a bunch to choose from if you so wish.
I don't agree with any of your points and/or see any relevance. If there are no resources for a new design then the foundation's is in trouble long term. As it is today, the cubie is not competition. Neither is the Beaglebone due to TI's lame business plan. Frankly I don't see any serious contenders out there today. That could all change... Dropping a good selling item because something bigger and better is out there is stupid. Not even NCR (the second worst managed company I have ever seen) does that.
Last edited by Richard-TX on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Richard-TX

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:55 pm

jdb wrote:
madara_x64 wrote:Question: Amongst the new pins added, does any of them double as a PWM pin? There was only one PWM pin broken out on the model B..
http://elinux.org/RPi_BCM2835_GPIOs

GPIOs 0-27 are available on the B+ GPIO header. PWM is on 12/13.
Correct. See the pinout at http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... s-gpio.png and compare with the matrix at http://elinux.org/RPi_BCM2835_GPIOs
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

toxibunny

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 pm

First of all, Congrats for getting out of beta :) The new revision looks awesome.

Question: Will unpowered HDMI>VGA converters be safer to use with the B+? I gather it was just a matter of 1 diode before...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:06 pm

toxibunny wrote:First of all, Congrats for getting out of beta :) The new revision looks awesome.

Question: Will unpowered HDMI>VGA converters be safer to use with the B+? I gather it was just a matter of 1 diode before...
Yes. The HDMI hotplug supply now has a current limit device on it, similar to the USB output current limit.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jamesh

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Richard-TX wrote:
Heater wrote:Richard-Tx,
If you guys are bored, why not come up with a SBC that uses the ARMv8-A processor running at 3 Ghz?
Food for thought.
It's the same food for thought that has been regurgitated here many times. It's a pointless idea. Such an SBC would be a total redesign, for which the resources are not available I guess. It would not be totally backward compatible so it's uptake among the two million and growing Pi users would be limited. It would require a whole new OS to be supported. Not to mention all the documentation. It would cause endless confusion among "Pi" users. It would end up just being in competition with the Cubie boards and many others and it would not succeed.
Backwards compatibility, a single "Pi" standard and the longevity of the platform is very valuable to everyone. A whole new design is not, there are already a bunch to choose from if you so wish.
I don't agree with any of your points and/or see any relevance. If there are no resources for a new design then the foundation's is in trouble long term. As it is today, the cubie is not competition. Neither is the Beaglebone due to TI's lame business plan. Frankly I don't see any serious contenders out there today. That could all change... Dropping a good selling item because something bigger and better is out there is stupid. Not even NCR (the second worst managed company I have ever seen) does that.
Richard, please stop with the concern trolling. You have no knowledge of the Foundations future plans or resources - so you have absolutely no reason to make comment on any long term trouble.

As for resource for development - there is plenty of development going on in various areas. The LCD's are on their way for example. But perhaps it would be useful to understand exactly how long this revision (and yes, it is just a revision) has been in development. I first saw a prototype in January. So in January it had the basic design in place. It has taken 6 MONTHS to go from something that basically works to something that was releasable. And that is a relatively simple REVISION change. Now consider that timescale if it was a new chip, requiring new software (because of course, when released it MUST be at least software equivalent to the current device). I estimate it would takes about 18 months to go from initial ideas to saleable product. A lot of that time is not actually HW/SW development of course- it's EMC testing and the myriad of other things that you have to do to a product to make it manufacturable in large quantities.

The Foundation have a number of full time engineers working full time on all sorts of stuff. Plus interns.

As Eben said, this is the final revision of the Model B. I'll leave you to fill in the gaps.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:08 pm

+1 to jamesh
Retired disgracefully.....

teeth_03

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:34 pm

I look forward to trying out a B+ one day with 2x controllers (SNES style), Wifi Adapter and Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo dongle.

Great job guys!

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:11 am

Richard-TX wrote:Reserving an i2c address for an eeprom is fine. Reserving an entire bus is another matter altogether.
OTOH the expanded GPIO header now means you have access to both the existing SPI0 (with 2 chip-selects) and SPI1 (with 3 chip-selects).

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:17 am

jdb wrote:
croston wrote:What is the board revision number as reported by /proc/cpuinfo ? Is there a complete list somewhere of all revision numbers that have ever been used?

I need this to update the RPi.GPIO module!
Board revision for the B+ is 0x10.
And 0x11 for the Compute Module http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 58#p570358

It's not official, but users have gathered a collection of revision numbers at http://elinux.org/RPi_HardwareHistory#B ... on_History

Heater

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:21 am

Richard-Tx,
I don't agree with any of your points...
You are of course free to disagree.
...and/or see any relevance.
Well, if you insist on ignoring all the relevant facts then it's easier to disagree:)

I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable of the Foundation's condition, position and strategy to set you straight.

Personally I am very happy to see that the B+ is a very elegant rearrangement, expansion and improvement on the Pi. Whist maintaining 100% backwards compatibility. I would be yawning very hard with total disinterest if they had tossed out yet another different ARM board that needed me to get to grips with and tinker around with yet another Linux installation variant. I've been around that loop so many times already.

I dream of the next Pi being a real shocker, say a 64 bit ARM SoC for starters:) To make the change worthwhile.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:24 am

Alexander Brown wrote:Speaking of which is there any chance that any of the pi versions might come as a do-it-yourself kit you can build yourself?
(typos fixed)

No. Would require a big change to the manufacturing process and be too expensive. You can design & build your own Compute Module baseboard if you want :)

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:32 am

Burngate wrote:I hope we get more of a complete diagram, since there're some bits that seem to be missing.
Ditto. But of course that's entirely up to the Foundation.
My one gripe is that I've just made a board that puts all the 17 available GPIOs into LEDs. So now I've got to buy a new piece of vero-board, a new connector, a new ribbon, and ten more LEDs (I've got enough resistors) Hmph.
At least 40-pin connectors and ribbon cables (i.e. old IDE cables) are more commonly available than 26-pin variants ;)

Edit: Although looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA I see that pin20 is sometimes used as a key, so you'd need to make sure you had a cable / connectors in which pin20 is connected.
Last edited by AndrewS on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 am

GadgetUK wrote:
dom wrote: less. I measure the B having a USB port overhang of 7mm.
The B+ has a USB port overhang of 2mm (and ethernet is the same).
Great, I know it's a detail but crucial. The current drawing only has measurement to centers no connector widths or heights.
The pedant in me also spots that the DSI connector only has its vertical offset specified and not its horizontal offset. :geek:

AndrewS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:45 am

Pygar wrote:How do we connect to the RUN header- are those solder pads?
Yup, same as P6 on the Model B http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals#P6_header
Is the small round object near the R, a shutdown button?
I think you may be talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiducial_marker#PCB :?:

geoffs

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:09 am

geoffs wrote:I like the idea of 4 USB ports (and 4 mounting holes!) but not crazy about the nearly 18% increase in price from the local supplier (element 14) :o
Maybe an exchange rate thing?
May have been just a new product glitch.
The B+ shows on the element14 site as $A38 plus tax, the same as the Model B.
If I'd ordered one last night instead of complaining about the apparent price increase, I'd have had it tomorrow in time for the local hackerspace meeting :cry:

RaTTuS

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 am

jamesh wrote:...
As Eben said, this is the final revision of the Model B. I'll leave you to fill in the gaps.
as mentioned http://www.raspi.today/podcast-episode-6/ detailed
http://www.raspi.today/raspberry-pi-2-expected-in-2017/

not before 2017 ... personally I'd expect it Christmas 2016 but that's just IMO
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:06 am

I dream of the next Pi being a real shocker, say a 64 bit ARM SoC for starters:) To make the change worthwhile.
One can not leave it alone about the wants, hidden in a reply, jeez.

Mods can we have an autodelete this crap button ?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 am

AndrewS wrote:
Burngate wrote:I hope we get more of a complete diagram, since there're some bits that seem to be missing.
Ditto. But of course that's entirely up to the Foundation.
My one gripe is that I've just made a board that puts all the 17 available GPIOs into LEDs. So now I've got to buy a new piece of vero-board, a new connector, a new ribbon, and ten more LEDs (I've got enough resistors) Hmph.
At least 40-pin connectors and ribbon cables (i.e. old IDE cables) are more commonly available than 26-pin variants ;)
Edit: Although looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA I see that pin20 is sometimes used as a key, so you'd need to make sure you had a cable / connectors in which pin20 is connected.
I'm quite lucky w.r.t. those old IDE cables - realised (re-discovered) that I have a dozen or so, most of which are w/o the "pin 20 key", which I'd salvaged from the various PC's I'd put together over the years until it became "just as cheap" to buy one "off the shelf". I also have a few 26-way "crimp-style" headers so I'll probably be making a few 40 to 26 way adapter cables :) .
Trev.

Edit: Having checked the B+'s pinout it looks as if pin 20 is (one of the) a "Gnd" pin, so may possibly be removed to "polarize" the connection?
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Sjefke

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:45 am

Just received my first B+ (thank you European Union, merchandize is a breeze nowadays).
The new board is nice and tidy. The status leds are more modest. Just two instead of four. On the old board these light were very bright.
The corners of the board are rounded.

I have not discovered P6, for resetting RPi.
And the socket "Display" underlines a final wish: a special lcd display with touch for the RPi. I will wait patiently.

PiGraham

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:54 am

Sjefke wrote:I have not discovered P6, for resetting RPi.
It's marked "RUN" on B+

Burngate

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:31 am

[email protected] wrote:
Burngate wrote:... Hmph.
Although 28-31 are gone, their functions can be found on the additional pins.
And remember the 50mA limit through the SoC core. If you want 28 LEDs on it, then max. 2mA per LED, or limit the number on at any one time - or multiplex.
Those are in 2 banks of 14 LEDs paralleled up via one resistor on each side. Not the ideal way to drive LEDs (their brightness varys) but good enough to test.
-Gordon
Crop3-1b.jpg
Crop3-1b.jpg (53.61 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
A reel of about a thousand 270Ω is what I've got, so 270Ω is what I'll use. And no, I'm not going to throw them away just to keep the Pi happy. Maybe I'll put a current limit into the 3v3 line, just to be nice to it, but it'd better be a two-terminal device to replace the bit of wire curently in place.

So the old Pis can use the old floppy ribbons, and now the B+ can use the IDE ribbons from the same source. I still haven't found a use for the SCSI cables. Hmph.

As for the GPIOs 28-31, I'm now confused. I think I need to revisit the spreadsheets to unconfuse myself

Heater

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:47 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Don't be so touchy. You know that my comment re: a 64 bit ARM SoC was made with tongue firmly in cheek. You can tell because I put a smiley at the end just to make it excessively obvious.

I'm certainly not expecting the Foundation to produce such a machine any time soon, if ever. The statement was more a poke at all those who constantly plead for some super-duper 4 core 4 GHz Pi upgrade.
Try not to be so rude to fellow your fellow Raspi users in future. Especially when you miss the point of their posts.

I could say "Mods can we have an autodelete these rude posts button"

A good day to you.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Heater wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Don't be so touchy. You know that my comment re: a 64 bit ARM SoC was made with tongue firmly in cheek. You can tell because I put a smiley at the end just to make it excessively obvious.

I'm certainly not expecting the Foundation to produce such a machine any time soon, if ever. The statement was more a poke at all those who constantly plead for some super-duper 4 core 4 GHz Pi upgrade.
Try not to be so rude to fellow your fellow Raspi users in future. Especially when you miss the point of their posts.

I could say "Mods can we have an autodelete these rude posts button"

A good day to you.
I am absolutely sick and tired of the I WANT posts and apologies if offended anyone. :shock:

Everytime the RPF Blog something new it is full of detractors which 2000% spoils everything :twisted:

There is so much choice in the under $100.00 can they not buy one of those ??? and plague their forums ??? :D

Return to “General discussion”