blachanc

Re: The Raspberry Pi Model B+ Q&A thread

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:26 pm

ame wrote:Does the new board have the capability to turn itself off (i.e. sudo shutdown -h now turns off power)? Or must we have an external switch?
+1 on this question..

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:33 pm

tvoverbeek wrote:No USB backpowering on B+
As has been mentioned several times it will not be possible to power the B+ using USB back-power.
My guess it this is because of the AP2331W which provides better USB hot plugging support.
The AP2331W also blocks back-current and I am assuming the H5V goes from the AP2331W to the four USB ports.
Hence no back-powering.
See also the Adafruit explanation https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... wer-supply
Is this explanation correct?

I ususally backpower my Bs when using the Motorola Lapdock. For the B+ I will need an extra power lead.
Not really a problem, especially since now the B+ provides better protection against faulty back-powering.
I might be wrong, but a preliminary reading of the schematic does NOT suggest that backpowering is now impossible, it is rather the reverse, backpowering is now harmless in that it will not collide with an also connected regular PSU, because of the "ideal diode", (a device acting like a diode, but with zero forward voltage) directly behind the microUSB power input, no current can flow back into such a regular PSU and damage it.
As a side benefit, the "diode" also protects the PI against reverse polarity, although with microUSB accidental polarity reversals should be almost impossible.

P.S. I just read the excellent adafruit article, and now I stand corrected in the sense that the rush-in protection IC between 5V and 5VH will in fact block any back current, so indeed back powering will probably not work anymore (read as "is not a problem anymore").

solar3000

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:37 pm

blachanc wrote:
ame wrote:Does the new board have the capability to turn itself off (i.e. sudo shutdown -h now turns off power)? Or must we have an external switch?
+1 on this question..

Ben

probably not. being its the same core structure [same cpu]. they just moved things around and added some stuff.
also the pi is never completely off.
Antikythera

madara_x64

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 pm

Question: Amongst the new pins added, does any of them double as a PWM pin? There was only one PWM pin broken out on the model B..

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:51 pm

madara_x64 wrote:Question: Amongst the new pins added, does any of them double as a PWM pin? There was only one PWM pin broken out on the model B..
http://elinux.org/RPi_BCM2835_GPIOs

GPIOs 0-27 are available on the B+ GPIO header. PWM is on 12/13.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

raspberrypilover

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:03 pm

So, with the new 4 port USB2 hub on the Raspberry Pi Model B+ what is the speed of:

(1) the USB2 ports individually going to be?
(2) the ethernet port going to be?

The speed of the ethernet on the old Model B was 5 MB/s at most. Is there a new microprocessor / USB2 / ethernet combo that enhances data transmission speeds?

Thanks.

Jessie

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:05 pm

Burngate

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:08 pm

I hope we get more of a complete diagram, since there're some bits that seem to be missing.

I'm happy I understand how the new "ideal diode" should work - if the o/p side (right hand end) has a higher voltage than the i/p side (left hand end) then the FET will be off
What I can't see is where the 5v goes after that. Obviously into the buck converter, and also into the H5V current limit for HDMI, as well as the PWR LED flashing doobrie. But does the USB power come from the H5V line, have its own not shown device, or direct from the 5v?
And does the PWR_LOW_N go anywhere else?

What changes have happened round the audio? Obviously the jack, but other things have happened. Changes to the power - which pin on the SoC? Change to the series caps, but what about the resistor chains to reduce the source impedance? Protection diodes?

I like the extra GPIOs, though I'm not convinced the loss of 28-31 isn't a bad deal. My one gripe is that I've just made a board that puts all the 17 available GPIOs into LEDs. So now I've got to buy a new piece of vero-board, a new connector, a new ribbon, and ten more LEDs (I've got enough resistors) Hmph.

GadgetUK

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:15 pm

One thing missing from the dimensions is the amount the connectors overhang the end of the PCB ?

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

raspberrypilover wrote:So, with the new 4 port USB2 hub on the Raspberry Pi Model B+ what is the speed of:

(1) the USB2 ports individually going to be?
(2) the ethernet port going to be?

The speed of the ethernet on the old Model B was 5 MB/s at most. Is there a new microprocessor / USB2 / ethernet combo that enhances data transmission speeds?

Thanks.
It is the same USB to USB / Ethernet Chipset, except for 4 ports http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/De ... ct=LAN9514
Adieu

dom

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:30 pm

GadgetUK wrote:One thing missing from the dimensions is the amount the connectors overhang the end of the PCB ?
It's less. I measure the B having a USB port overhang of 7mm.
The B+ has a USB port overhang of 2mm (and ethernet is the same).

GadgetUK

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 pm

dom wrote: less. I measure the B having a USB port overhang of 7mm.
Great, I know it's a detail but crucial. The current drawing only has measurement to centers no connector widths or heights.

redhawk

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:36 pm

Is the micro SD card flush with the edge of the board or does it sticks out??

Richard S.

redhawk

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:43 pm

GadgetUK wrote:It sticks out
http://cl.ly/image/1N3A123e0q0q
Well that's disappointing :(

Richard S.

Pygar

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:50 pm

How do we connect to the RUN header- are those solder pads? Is the small round object near the R, a shutdown button? I have a use for Pi that will make it much more convenient if I can remote a shutdown button, you see.

I'll be buying mine as soon as a certain wooden case gets stocked... especially if a certain long-promised screen comes in...
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"

jdb

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:51 pm

redhawk wrote:

Richard S.
How are you going to remove the SD card if you can't push the release spring in?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

GadgetUK

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:52 pm

jdb wrote:
redhawk wrote:

Richard S.
How are you going to remove the SD card if you can't push the release spring in?
With a plastic paperclip :P

redhawk

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 pm

The micro SD card isn't completely inaccessible I would simply push my thumb or finger at the underside of the board to release it.
Unless you have a really poorly designed case with a 1mm gap to stick your fingers inside I don't see how this can be a problem.
I have several examples of memory card devices that sit flush inside their casing i.e. a Panasonic Digital Camera (spring loaded SD holder) and a 808#16 Micro HD video recorder (spring loaded Micro SD holder).

I suppose on the plus side it doesn't stick out as much as the SD Card version but still I would have preferred a flushed finish. :)

Richard S.

Pi_Fanatic

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:25 pm

Once the board is in a case the memory card is barely noticeable. This should make the EDU crowd very pleased. On the plus side there will be no more broken SD slots.

Pi_Fanatic

mcmelectronics

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 pm

GadgetUK wrote:
dom wrote: less. I measure the B having a USB port overhang of 7mm.
Great, I know it's a detail but crucial. The current drawing only has measurement to centers no connector widths or heights.
We did a drawing based on measurements we took of a board in the office. It has connector widths, but bear in mind, it's not the official schematic.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mcmelectronics ... nsions.pdf
Last edited by mcmelectronics on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MCM Electronics
@mcmelectronics
facebook.com/mcmelectronics

mikronauts

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:29 pm

I managed to order some Raspberry Pi Model B+'s!

All those test points on the bottom of the board look mighty tempting...

Now waiting for the compute module starter kit to be in stock.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:40 pm

mikronauts wrote:I managed to order some Raspberry Pi Model B+'s!

All those test points on the bottom of the board look mighty tempting...

Now waiting for the compute module starter kit to be in stock.
It is a Compute Module Development Kit $230.00
Adieu

GadgetUK

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:42 pm

mcmelectronics wrote:
We did a drawing based on measurements we took of a board in the office. It has connector widths, but bare in mind, it's not the official schematic.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mcmelectronics ... nsions.pdf
Great, very useful.

[email protected]

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Burngate wrote: I like the extra GPIOs, though I'm not convinced the loss of 28-31 isn't a bad deal. My one gripe is that I've just made a board that puts all the 17 available GPIOs into LEDs. So now I've got to buy a new piece of vero-board, a new connector, a new ribbon, and ten more LEDs (I've got enough resistors) Hmph.
Although 28-31 are gone, their functions can be found on the additional pins.

And remember the 50mA limit through the SoC core. If you want 28 LEDs on it, then max. 2mA per LED, or limit the number on at any one time - or multiplex.

Those are in 2 banks of 14 LEDs paralleled up via one resistor on each side. Not the ideal way to drive LEDs (their brightness varys) but good enough to test.

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

Return to “General discussion”