scorpi

Raspberry Pi laptop

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello,

I'm highly interested in pursuing one of the following 3 Pi projects, but am having a hard time committing. I'd love anyone's opinion on what they might be interested in or passionate about:

1 - Designing + 3D-printing a new laptop base module that allows people to switch Raspberry Pi boards in and out, without having to pop open the case.

2 - Building a new laptop using 2 Raspberry Pi's to run multiple OS (Android/Linux) simultaneously, also adding an Eye Tracker, Pixel Qi screen, Xbee Radio and 4G LTE modem.

3 - Hacking a big-battery to function w/ a RPi

Is one of the above more exciting to you?

Thanks!

riklaunim

Re: Raspberry Pi laptop

Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:26 pm

There is no and will be no (usable) Android on Raspberry Pi. The generation of this ARM is just to old.

From a consumer point of view there is no need for a laptop with ancient hardware that can't run Windows and/or many Linux apps with even acceptable performance. There are Atrix Lapdocks which are use by hobbyists with Raspberry or other tiny computers. If you would want to build a laptop you would fail with price (At $300 you now have quite good Bay Trail laptops, not to mention cheaper tables with Android and all of it apps. Atrix Lapdock is half that price - and that's obsolete hardware! Adding cables and raspberry gets the price close to real laptops).

scorpi

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:14 pm

I appreciate the feedback!

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:42 pm

In the UK a Windows 8.1 Laptop £225.00 http://www.ebuyer.com/624113-lenovo-ide ... p-59416352

Android 21" all-in-one £200.00 http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/deskt ... 3Dfeatures

Therefore you would need a significantly lower price point, which for low volume is not feasible
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Shadow_7

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:58 pm

I've often thought of this type of thing myself. It's not cost effective, until you factor in that upgrading it is the cost of the next generation pi like board. And if one thing breaks, you replace that one thing, not the whole thing. Coffee in the keyboard, repair costs $15. Also factor in something boutique like a dual display laptop (with two pi's) or some board with dual display outs like a utilite pro. The only similar thing that I've seen and currently exists in laptop form is $2K+ so that would be more cost effective.

Cramming all that into a single package would be closer to a portable desktop that runs on battery, since we'll be talking 10lbs+ and a briefcase or even suitcase sized result. Or something closer to a lunch pail or shoe box in size if small screens are used. Although without a size limitation (custom case) you could scale the thing to whatever target battery life you desire. Imagine 80 hours or more of battery life while actually using it to do stuff.

scorpi

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I realize you'll never be able to customize a laptop quite like a desktop, due to real estate, but it seems like an opportunity to design a new laptop base that makes it simple to change out single board computers like RPi, Hummingboard or BananaPi, since they're becoming more and more powerful. A laptop case that functions similar to the Google phone concept of interchangeable parts.

riklaunim

Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:02 pm

scorpi wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I realize you'll never be able to customize a laptop quite like a desktop, due to real estate, but it seems like an opportunity to design a new laptop base that makes it simple to change out single board computers like RPi, Hummingboard or BananaPi, since they're becoming more and more powerful. A laptop case that functions similar to the Google phone concept of interchangeable parts.
On the one side there are tablets. You can't make a SBC like Banana/HummingBoard etc. as thin as tables get. COM or custom PCB helps but you have to design the rest of the device and its electronics. On the laptop side there are real x86 laptops that just can do much more than ARM. It's hard to make a product that makes "sense" from the business and consumer point of view that would use SBC for makers/hardware hackers. You can get nice 7" tablets with RK3188 cheaper than Radxa Rock with the same SoC. Android HDMI dongles with it are now getting cheaper than Raspberry in local shops. It's rather impossible to win with consumer market products using low quantity hobbyist components.

You can use the Atrix Lapdock and connect over HDMI any HDMI ready SBC and you get interchangeable SBC feature (but still no power integration).

Return to “General discussion”