mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: HDMI to VGA cable

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:13 pm

The point of the buyers guide is that cheap ($1 to $2) cables do not work, but you need a more expensive converter. Nothing has changed in that, except that there seems to be a price war and converters that once cost at least $20, now cost far less.

Thanks Pluggy for your interesting insight, but I prefer to call it precise instead of pedant :lol:

where possible I will do anything to write for a noob audience, but I try to educate as well.

pluggy

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:19 pm

Borderline Asperger's Syndrome...... AKA the geek gene. ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:24 pm

mahjongg wrote:The point of the buyers guide is that cheap ($1 to $2) cables do not work, but you need a more expensive converter. Nothing has changed in that, except that there seems to be a price war and converters that once cost at least $20, now cost far less.

Thanks Pluggy for your interesting insight, but I prefer to call it precise instead of pedant :lol:

where possible I will do anything to write for a noob audience, but I try to educate as well.
OK.. let a noob educate the learned one as well..

Had the original poster posted it today looking for a hdmi vga cable... and say he got my response.. that such a cable (or converter) is available for this price.. and available from here.. and it is USD12.. and it works really well... he will be more than happy with reading my response than any of the other pedantic response from others.

So.. will I who bumped into this thread from google searches looking for the exact answer that I found from my own research..

I didn't get any useful input (on this topic hdmi to vga) from the Pictorial Buying Guide page. http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 91&t=83446

That page is still misleading by saying "out of luck!!" and "not possible"... no one is expecting anything for $1 or $3... (Is the question really about.. can we get a hdmi to vga converter for under USD3... to say it is not possible and out of luck)...

The paragraph should be re-written as per my suggestion.. by using the words.. in a positive tone... "is possible" and "are full of luck" to have hdmi to vga converter.. for about USD8 to USD12.
Last edited by ihightower on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:41 pm

My response would be that there is no such cable that will work, but there are converters available (now) for X price.

Correct terminology in some cases is not being pedantic if it prevents someone making a mistake.

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:44 pm

rpdom wrote:My response would be that there is no such cable that will work, but there are converters available (now) for X price.

Correct terminology in some cases is not being pedantic if it prevents someone making a mistake.
I agree with using correct terminology by saying "converter"... but the page should still be corrected to let the common man understand.. that there are converters available in a postive tone rather than full of negativity in that paragraph.. as if it is doom and gloom if one has a VGA monitor.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:46 pm

The pictorial buying guide does recommend an convertor like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-to-VGA-R ... 0823426911
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

ihightower

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:53 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:The pictorial buying guide does recommend an convertor like this

Thank you and understand.. my comment is just the negativity that surrounds this paragraph... which really could be better explained in the start of the paragraph.. and all the cautions about cheap cable can come after.

it read like this earlier today...

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are out of luck! It is not possible to buy a cheap HDMI->VGA Cable ! If you see a cable that is VGA on one end and HDMI on the other it will not work. If you want to go from HDMI to VGA you will have to buy a more expensive convertor box, ideally one that uses an external power supply, like this one.

and now modified to this:

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are more or less out of luck! It is not possible to buy a cheap (that is $1 to $3) HDMI->VGA Cable ! If you see a cable that is VGA on one end and HDMI on the other it will not work. If you want to go from HDMI to VGA you will have to buy a more expensive (the cheapest are now sold around $10) convertor box.

This can be certainly written better under a positive tone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Just to let you know that I've taken your critique to heart, and have actually now made many changes to the pictorial buyers guide, and will still make more to come, hope you like what I did.

And to Pluggy, I recently did an on-line test because I also expected I was perhaps a "functioning autist", but the test said otherwise, I actually score low on the autism scale. Instead I have found out a long time ago that Im actually a "picture thinker" (beeld denker in Dutch ). As is my sister, and my nieces, so its an inheritable thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_thinking

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:57 pm

ihightower wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:The pictorial buying guide does recommend an convertor like this

Thank you and understand.. my comment is just the negativity that surrounds this paragraph... which really could be better explained in the start of the paragraph.. and all the cautions about cheap cable can come after.

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are out of luck! It is not possible to buy a cheap HDMI->VGA Cable ! If you see a cable that is VGA on one end and HDMI on the other it will not work. If you want to go from HDMI to VGA you will have to buy a more expensive convertor box, ideally one that uses an external power supply, like this one.

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are more or less out of luck! It is not possible to buy a cheap (that is $1 to $3) HDMI->VGA Cable ! If you see a cable that is VGA on one end and HDMI on the other it will not work. If you want to go from HDMI to VGA you will have to buy a more expensive (the cheapest are now sold around $10) convertor box.

Yes, I did that, and more, what is negative about it, the fact that you need to spend $8 instead of $1.50 for a HDMI cable? Yeah, that is perhaps a bit disappointing for some, but I think its now quite positive of tone, also read the rest please.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Thanks, ill use it to renew the link in the guide!

Mandrewpi

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:11 pm

mahjongg wrote:
ihightower wrote:

Yes, I did that, and more, what is negative about it, the fact that you need to spend $8 instead of $1.50 for a HDMI cable? Yeah, that is perhaps a bit disappointing for some, but I think its now quite positive of tone, also read the rest please.
well as long as we know what works and what does not. This thread should make it a lot easier (and possibly cheaper from buying a cable that does not work to instead buying a converter that does work) to know what works and what does not.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:17 pm

I remind readers that the original topic, the use of a HDMI->VGA cable (i.e. wires with connectors at each end) has become an altogether different discussion. We strayed a bit off the mark here....
enough said, I think documentation is quite clear about the subject now.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Great that the "stickies' are updated, unfortunately many new users can not be bothered to read them.......... :roll:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Yeah... Sigh, tell me about it! :roll:

They rather post the umpteenth identical question, rather than trying to read what is already here, and neatly eviscerated for them.

Luke269

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello everyone, during 2012 when i had my r pi, i was unable to use the s video or hdmi outlet as my monitor only supported VGA. firstly i tried using a HDMI to Vga cable but the problem was that it only went from VGA to HDMI, therefore this didn't work. the second thing that i used was powered converter which had an input of the s video (yellow cable) into the box, and VGA out to the monitor. I think that the problem was because the s-video is an input rather than an output? As a result of this i was unable to use the R Pi. howver, i would suspect that there is a cable or converter that would now do this? if there isnt, i suspect you can get a module from R Pis website or a developers website or even maplins?

Additionally, my monitor has now been upgraded and will support HDMI connections. Do people think that i should get another model B? The only problem is that i have forgotten how to most of the programming functions and commands?

hope this has helped and i look forward to seeing your comments. :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:05 pm

S-video, picture here from wikipedia
isn't supported on a PI, it never was (am I being pedantic again ?) so its not S-video you are taking about, but probably composite video.

But if you mean a composite to VGA adapter, it was in the pictorial buying guide until today when any mention of them was removed, as its such a bad solution that I don't even want it mentioned! For less than such a converter you can now buy a HDMI to VGA converter, that was always the case and the buyers guide initially did warn NOT to use them.
composite to VGA converters are a bad joke!

ihightower

Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:05 am

mahjongg wrote:Just to let you know that I've taken your critique to heart, and have actually now made many changes to the pictorial buyers guide, and will still make more to come, hope you like what I did.
Thank you for your update in that page... This is my final comment... and for your info I only started this discussion just because I got misled from what I read from this thread... that is I was looking for a "HDMI to VGA Cable" to be used on my monitor... and looking for "something" (and that something is a cable or whatever) to be used so that I can hook up my RPi to my VGA Monitor.

While searching it in Google.. the first posting that came up for me at least was this... and it immediately said "not possible" etc. And, I was shocked to see crazypi selling that "something" which contradicted the first response by mahjongg.

After the replies from all of you... I get to know.. that the thread is sooo outdated and in this modern day 2015... such a "something" which is correctly called a converter is readily available and can be used with RPi HDMI to VGA Monitor...

Then, I was introduced to the "Pictorial Buying Guide".. and it starts on the HDMI to VGA in a negative tone.. same as the first answer in this thread... (even in this modern time Jan 2015)... so I asked for a rewriting.. so newbies.. can readily find their answer from either this thread or Pictorial Buying Guide... One must understand that... for newbies.. the first point of entry to something is Google Search.. and the first few links to their keywords... Pictorial Buying Guide.. only comes after when they click from one link to another. One may not even reach the Pictorial Buying Guide.. if the search didn't turn that up for their choice of keywords... or someone suggested it in their thread, etc.

--

OK.. now I am thankful for all of you guys explanation.. and here is my final comment on the "Pictorial Buying Guide"

Just put it in this correct order than the current ordering given in that page..
That is... I have put the $10 solution first.. the comment on the old $100 solution.. comes after.

Here is my suggested correctly ordered version... which is more meaningful at this time and age (Jan 2015)...

If your monitor only has a VGA Connector, you are more or less out of luck! It is not possible to buy a cheap (that is $1 to $3) HDMI->VGA Cable ! If you see a cable that is VGA on one end and HDMI on the other it will not work.

However, If you want to go from HDMI to VGA you will have to buy a more expensive (the cheapest are now sold around $10) convertor.

But lately direct conversion "dongle" type converters have replaced them for prices around $10 and sinking, they often look something like this:

[new picture]

comment: the below paragraph should be after the above paragraph.. instead of before as it is currently...
no one (at least the beginners) cares about the expensive converters... while they can get away with the USD10 converter which is readily available.

Older "frame buffer grabber" converters like the ones below were the original but expensive (>$100) solution.

[the two frame buffer $100 pictures]

Hope this helps.. and I am not going to drag this any longer and I will not reply anymore on this topic.. as now I understand it pretty well... and I was just doing a service to the community especially for the newbies.. NOT for them to get disappointed when reading HDMI to VGA is not possible for under USD12... and the solution really works!!!

GarfieldEatsPi

different name

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:29 pm

you can find this on amazon but it has a different name it has to do something with male and female, I am looking for the same thing

Return to “General discussion”