KeaganCook

Change wifi network over vnc

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi everybody

I have kali linux installed on my raspberry pi with tightvnc installed. I don't have access to a keyboard/mouse. Right now my setup is this: I configured my iPad the pi to automatically connect to my iPhone hotspot, then I use the iPad to vnc into the pi.

I would like to use vnc (or something similar) to change the wifi network my pi is connected to, and stay connected on vnc. For example if I went into a McDonald's and wanted to connect to the wifi on my pi without losing connection on my iPad.

DaveDriesen

Re: Change wifi network over vnc

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:56 pm

I don't think you can achieve this using your current setup seeing as your IP link will be broken when you switch WiFi networks..

Having trouble contemplating further because you mentioned McD and my brain is now spamming quarter pounder. With cheese. What's that? Yea supersize it. Definitely -- thanks.

Dave Driesen
Linux Dev and Oldskool Elite

KeaganCook

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:15 am

Lol thanks for the reply. I wonder if there is something better than vnc that doesn't require you to be on the same wifi network. For my iMac, I use jump desktop and I can connect from my phone. Not sure how it works but I know it uses your google account.

DaveDriesen

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:40 pm

One thing way better than VNC is NX. You should definitely look into this for the simple reason that VNC is insecure. You don't want some numbnuts bruteforcing your VNC while you eat your fries and pentest :P But sadly I think in your scenario NX will suffer the same fate, i.e. you will still lose your connection when switching wifi networks, and will have to reconnect because the IP link will go dead.

Do you have a home LAN you can have both devices connect to? Like, say, using OpenVPN? Otherwise just auto-phone home on both devices when they roam into the new network.. If you then tunnel or proxy your traffic over this VPN, your VNC or NX connection may even stay up, although it would certainly freeze for a while.

Dave Driesen
Linux Dev and Oldskool Elite

ghans

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:51 am

You can setup the Pi itself as WiFi AP ... google
"Raspberry Pi hostapd" .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”