scologic

Re: Loan Alphas

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 pm

IN one of the last videos there is mention of a loan of Alpha boards to companies looking to develop the PI...
How can we get a hold of a loan as I've got a real need in the next few weeks and November is a little late for some projects. A loan lets us test apps and show the customer the concept. November - end of December can then be a delivery timescale.
I appreciate all the marketing of the product worldwide but without physical hardware to run and test on this all seems a little like hot air, and working with others on projects is also fine but we need kit to work on.

The current worry is the hype from your world marketing means little or no availability, or a small glitch on a massive initial version kills all the good work and affects the longer term running of the project. (this happened to globalscale and the guru devices)

comments please, and if there is anyone with a board that can loan, sell, donate please let me know.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34 pm

The alpha boards are already with the various developers (I believe Arch, XBMC and so on), so the 'small glitch' thing isn't really an issue. Also, the initial release isn't THE release. Initially, the device is just meant for hackers, testers and the community. That's another opportunity to develop and test opportunities before the 'proper' release.

As for needing something to show the customers, then it's just a matter of working with what's available. I certainly wouldn't plan a project around something that's not available yet.

'course I am not affiliated with the project, so I may be wrong and they'll send one, but I doubt it.

Lakes

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:39 pm

This may have been covered elsewhere, but I was wondering what will happen to the "loan" alphas after the devs have finished with them?

abishur

Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 am

As to the OP, I believe it's been said (on the most recent video I think...) that all the alpha boards are spoken for at this point.

@Lakes, I believe once things get up and running, they were considering eBaying (or auctioning somehow) the alpha boards off. I might be crossing up two different things I read on the forum, but if that's not true 1)I'm sure Liz will correct me :P and 2) I hope it becomes the truth as that would be awesome ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Michael

Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:31 am

The alpha boards were loaned on the proviso that once you've finished with it, you return it. Liz was talking about getting the trustees to sign and then auctioning some of the first batch of production units.

jamesh

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:37 am

To paraphrase the late and great Charlton Heston...

"you can have my <raspberry pi alpha> when you prise it from my cold dead hands"
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

scologic

Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:43 am

Jamesh - my point exactly

Personally I need a hold of a unit for around 2 weeks to A) load the software and B) to show the customer what we can deliver at the end of the year. After that you can do with ti what you will and I'll be a happy bunny having created a demand for around 20 - 40 units.
Is there anyone in Scotland that is willing to let us borrow a unit for the 2 weeks we need it for?

crundy

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Is it possible to create a virtual machine with the same spec and (virtual) chipset as as a release R-Pi? It would give people such as scologic the chance to compile and test apps in a sandbox ready for release.

MDC

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 pm

It's already been done, it is at the top of the collaboration part of the forum. It's stuck permanently on the top of the forum

MDC

Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:40 pm

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....#038;f=4.0

Click the link

Look it's on the sticky topics part

scologic

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 pm

emulators are fine but they dont actually show how quickly the device operates. I know the software i have should work on any arm linux device with linux.

emercer

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 pm

@crundy If you're running Windows and feeling lazy, I've put together a few disk images for QEMU, here's the topic: http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....#038;t=577

Return to “General discussion”