normanlove

Tabletop RPGs and the Raspberry Pi.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Friends.

I have been tinkering about with my pi since quite literally day one release, and my current project has given me a nagging idea that i would like to find more about.

I have just finished making a cocktail tabletop arcade cabinet (typical standard build done a 100 times over already) but the finished product has been built into an existing cocktail table so its purposefully massive and sat in the middle of my living room as intended. I have noticed that the large screen i used (23 inch widescreen) would be absolutely fantastic to use as a screen for tabletop RPGs. Personally i run a few games using roll20.net and ive heard maptools is quite popular as well, but i have heard literally nothing of either being ported for Pi use, nor development of ANYTHING even remotely similar.

Has anyone heard of anything like this floating around in the ether? Surely, any model of pi should be able to handle the requirements of a basic maptools/roll20. I'm not talking any of the really cool stuff like dynamic lighting and 3d dice rolling (although one can hope!) but just the ability to import resources, place them upon a grid for display on the screen and the players to interact with. as well as a simple RNG system for composing mixed dice rolls. If noone has, would it be difficult to find someone who would start such a project? i imagine its a perfect little project for someone and shouldn't be too overly complicated.

Forrrge

Re: Tabletop RPGs and the Raspberry Pi.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:33 am

Their website states that it runs on HTML 5 (firefox or chrome recommended) and that for video chat it needs flash. I guess there are a couple of browsers that should work but you're not going to get the video.

BMS Doug

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:44 am

normanlove wrote:I have just finished making a cocktail tabletop arcade cabinet (typical standard build done a 100 times over already) but the finished product has been built into an existing cocktail table so its purposefully massive and sat in the middle of my living room as intended. I have noticed that the large screen i used (23 inch widescreen) would be absolutely fantastic to use as a screen for tabletop RPGs. Personally i run a few games using roll20.net and ive heard maptools is quite popular as well, but i have heard literally nothing of either being ported for Pi use, nor development of ANYTHING even remotely similar.
I am so Jealous....

Unfortunately a tabletop TV wouldn't work in my house, my kids would ruin it. I have been considering a Projector aiming downwards to throw a map onto the table.... but that will have to wait until I redecorate.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

normanlove

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 am

Forrrge wrote:Their website states that it runs on HTML 5 (firefox or chrome recommended) and that for video chat it needs flash. I guess there are a couple of browsers that should work but you're not going to get the video.
Another pi user from Gateshead? i wasnt aware most of us even had electricity.

Which browsers would they be? obviously given that im intending this for "offline" use so the video component is entirely useless. Roll20 was designed mainly for chrome (i think, at least thats what it recommends). I have to admit that while it would be fantastic to be able to use Roll20 because the online component means that with someone hosting a skype call or something, people could essentially join your RL session via the net. However my experience of internet browsing on anything other than RISC OS was rather slow, at least slow enough to have a significant impact on roll20. I had a dual core Turion laptop (around 2.5GHz) that i played with once that was choppy as hell.

Forrrge

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm obviously from the posh end of Gateshead :D

I mainly use my RPi as a media player so don't have much experiance with it from a surfing perspective, but I recon your best bet from a speed point of view is this foundation sponsored browser, optimised for speed and HTML 5 capable. I've not seen an update on this for quite a few months so hopefully its coming along nicely.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/web-browser-beta/

DougieLawson

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Forrrge wrote:I'm obviously from the posh end of Gateshead :D
Is there such a thing, since you're starting out on the wrong side of the Tyne.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

Forrrge

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:53 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Forrrge wrote:I'm obviously from the posh end of Gateshead :D
Is there such a thing, since you're starting out on the wrong side of the Tyne.
:lol: hurtful

normanlove

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:37 pm

believe it or not there are parts of Gateshead that not only have gardens, but gardens that aren't immediately filled with trampolines and/or "staffies".

Anyway, i took it upon myself to try "web" a few hours ago after looking for HTML5 stuff, as well as Chromium.

While they both "work", its not really operable. I mean, its an achievement in of itself that they load at all. And they are bottom line playable, but it takes like 10 seconds for anything to register, including scrolling up and down. This was tested with no resources on the screen at all bar 5 player tokens (from last weeks game). Chromium operated and responded noticeably faster, but its still nowhere near playable. It would do as a "spectator", but theres no functionality for that in r20 (as far as i'm aware).

I could envision it working fine if there was a native program or environment built to run it in, but it doesnt look like r20 is going to be useable at all unless there are some serious performance upgrades achieved in the future.

Although, i will say i was impressed at Webs ability to "play" youtube videos. granted its quicker to actually draw the frames by hand and make a flipbook than it is actually watching it but i never thought the pi would ever be handle in-browser videos at all in the first place.

TonyD

Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Sorry for going off topic but if there are any Pi users from Gateshead, Newcastle or even Sunderland interested in meeting other Pi users we have a healthy number of Pi users at Makerspace in Newcastle. Details how to find us etc. on website: http://www.makerspace.org.uk

Pop along on a Wednesday night and meet us.
Tony

stubright

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:24 pm

normanlove wrote:believe it or not there are parts of Gateshead that not only have gardens, but gardens that aren't immediately filled with trampolines and/or "staffies".
Can you say the same about Felling, or should I say 'The Felling'?

Stu
From the right side of the Tyne.

normanlove

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:58 pm

stubright wrote:
normanlove wrote:believe it or not there are parts of Gateshead that not only have gardens, but gardens that aren't immediately filled with trampolines and/or "staffies".
Can you say the same about Felling, or should I say 'The Felling'?

Stu
From the right side of the Tyne.

I could, but that doesn't make it true.

Anyway, id be potentially interested in makerspace, but can't really afford a membership at the moment. Is there any point in turning up if theres nothing to work on? how many people generally attend on a wednesday?

TonyD

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:57 pm

normanlove wrote:... Is there any point in turning up if theres nothing to work on? how many people generally attend on a wednesday?
Well to start its always nice to know there are other people local who share a common interest. There's usually several members projects on display and its not unknown for an impromptu show and tell discussion to get started.

Wednesday's usually see somewhere between 10 to 20 guests popping along to visit the Makerspace.
Tony

S0AndS0

Fri May 29, 2015 2:11 pm

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24082
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W0H ... wBXOU/edit
Maptools works just fine on Android or Raspberrypi; see above links to old guide I wrote when first porting to Android; things are much easier now though, see bellow instructions.
Basic setup instructions:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xrdp tightvncserver
apt-cache search java
# install either open or closed source. I'm running 8 with hard float support on RPi.
wget http://download.rptools.net/zip/maptool-1.3.b91.zip
# I'm using version 1.3.b91 but have tried others with sucess, see following link for other options
# http://www.rptools.net/downloadsw/
unzip maptool-1.3.b91.zip
Running headless I'll pipe-out to Android using xRDP for lower lag, to controll a guest session piped out to my Wii I'll use VNC so as to mirror the desktop.
Running headfull is the least laggy option for the GM and likely what your tabble top will be doing via a 'startx' command auto running, so here's the command that you can modify to start maptools in an exsisting boot script.

java -jar /pathto/maptools.jar
Check 'java -jar --help' for more options that can be passed.

Those are the updated instructions, quick, easy, and takes less then half an hour to setup for map trasfer.

To start and stop xRDP and VNC

sudo service xrdp # start stop restart status
vncserver :1
vncserver -kill :1
Client connection address:port
xRDP : localhost:3389 or IPaddr:3389
VNC : localhost:5901 or IPaddr:5901
~ sometimes VNC will default to 5900

I spent a lot of time on transferring files and testing different methods of syncing maps from development device to hosting devices; so here's the script that I use to blast/sync all my nodes with the same set of maps or really anything

#!/bin/bash
if [ ${#@} = 0 ]
then
	echo "No arguemtns passed. Exiting"
	echo "Usage: '\$1' should be a file path to a list of user@host file"
	echo "Usage: '\$2' should be a file or directory to share to the above listed file"
	echo "Example : rsync_multi.sh '~/sshAddresses.txt' '/media/rpmaps'"
	echo "The file for addresses should be formatted : User@hostIP port : one per line"
	exit 1
fi
UsersFile="$1"
FILE="$2"
 : ${USER?}
KEY="/home/$USER/.ssh/id_rsa"
while read line
do
	ADDR=$line
	UserName=$(echo "$ADDR" | sed 's/\@/ /' | awk '{print $1}')
	IPaddr=$(echo "$ADDR" | sed 's/\@/ /' | awk '{print $2}')
	Port=$(echo "$ADDR" | sed 's/\@/ /' | awk '{print $3}')
	echo "User-$UserName via port-$Port at-$IPaddr : Will have the following preformed : "
	echo "rsync --progress -vazh -e \"ssh -i ${KEY} -p ${Port}\" ${FILE} ${UserName}@${IPaddr}:/home/${UserName}/sync/"
		rsync --progress -vazh -e "ssh -i ${KEY} -p ${Port}" ${FILE} ${UserName}@${IPaddr}:/home/${UserName}/sync/
done < $UsersFile
I place the above under : /usr/local/sbin/multi_rsync
Then run~

chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/multi_rsync
~ so that I need only call the script by name; no file path required :-D
The sshAddress file looks like

pi@192.168.1.5 22
pi@192.168.1.6 2222
# and so on...
Using the above is as easy as~

multi_rsync '/path/to/sshAddresses' '/path/to/file_or_dir'
~ which happely will update all the RPi's and any other device setup in the sshAddresses file that has my public key.
Hope your table gets it's game on; please post pictures for us if the instructions work out.

Return to “General discussion”