RaspberryPiBoy

Return To Basic Vs Python?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:50 am

Which is the easiest to learn Return To Basic Or Python?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Return To Basic Vs Python?

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:52 am

Depends on who you ask.

I suggest giving both a go and seeing which one works for you.

jamesh

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:02 am

I leant on BASIC some years ago, but if I were learning now I would probably go with Python. It used more widely.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

RaspberryPiBoy

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 am

thanks guys. For me Python seems quite easy to understand in most cases, the thing I am struggling to get my head round is 'classes'. I read lots of books that always give you examples, but reading them over and over makes my head want to explode lol.

ame

Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:55 am

RaspberryPiBoy wrote:thanks guys. For me Python seems quite easy to understand in most cases, the thing I am struggling to get my head round is 'classes'. I read lots of books that always give you examples, but reading them over and over makes my head want to explode lol.
You can do an awful lot without classes. It is not necessary to use them. It is also not necessary to understand them to use them. However, when the time is ripe, they'll be there if you need them.

So, in summary, learn Python.

RaspberryPiBoy

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:00 am

Hi Ame

Thanks, I was getting very frustrated with it to be honest. I think I will leave them alone for a bit until I have more of an understanding of Python.

simplesi

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:12 am

You can do an awful lot without classes. It is not necessary to use them. It is also not necessary to understand them to use them. However, when the time is ripe, they'll be there if you need them.
Waht they said :)

Python is not had to get started with but has a lot of the advanced stuff available to use when your ready to try it.

Simon

PS But Return to BASIC is easier to get started with :)
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

RaspberryPiBoy

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:18 am

They does not seem to be much tutorials around for 'Return To Basic' though? Or should I be searching for just 'Basic Tutorials' ?

Is RTB same as the old basic?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:31 am

I think it comes down to KISS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

To paraphrase Einstein...Pick the right tool, for the right job and makes things as simple simple as possible (but not simpler).

I've done a bit of python and had no need to touch the object oriented stuff yet. One of the main reasons I prefer C to C++ is that I just don't need OOP most of the time. If I can do without it, I don't need an extra level of abstraction getting in the way. On the other hand, I've had a project I started in C, but found that I really needed the OOP features of C++, so I shelved it until I'm in the mood for that.

Having gone on about all that, I can't recommend this site enough: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
The problem with most tutorials is that they dumb the information down and leave out details and reasons why things are the way they are. That leads to 'copy/paste programming', where you just copy example code and arrange it in a way that does what you want. But if you need to write something original, you'd be completely lost. The linked book is free and gets into all of the necessary information. I also recommend referring to the actual documentation on the python website. It may be a little tedious at first, but the habit of looking at the primary source of information rather than other peoples interpretation of it will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Regarding RTB, keep in mind it's a hobby project of one guy (Gordon Henderson). It's not intended to be used as an everyday programming language, but something to introduce the basics. You won't find much third party information on it. All the information you need can be found here http://project-downloads.drogon.net/rtb/rtb.pdf

croston

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:59 am

I never really understood OOP until I started using Python 13 years ago to write GUI applications. I knew how to write OO code in Java and C++ having learnt them several years earlier privately and in university but it never 'clicked' with me - I couldn't find a suitable place to use OOP.

A suitable place to use OOP only fell into place with me when I was writing a GUI in Python - every type of 'widget' you put on the screen is a class (e.g. a type of button) and every instance of a 'widget' is an object (a button in your application). In other words, classes are types of brick and objects are physical bricks. You can modify existing classes to create your own 'widget'. When there is an action or 'event' with an object e.g. a button is clicked then it calls a method of the class/object.

Using OOP just for the sake of it (I'm looking at you Java) overcomplicates matters - especially if you are just starting to learn programming. Python has the advantage of being able to learn the language in stages, leaving OOP until you need it later on.

RaspberryPiBoy

Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Croston

Thanks for the good advice :D

simplesi

Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:29 pm

That looks an excellent guide to Python - Ta :)
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

Return to “General discussion”