RaspberryPiBoy

Web Browsing

Fri May 30, 2014 3:02 pm

Why is the web browsing so slow?

piglet

Re: Web Browsing

Fri May 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Because many modern web sites are so complex and it's not a powerful machine.

RaTTuS

Fri May 30, 2014 3:06 pm

because of bad web pages and bad x
elinks from the terminal is fine
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Running a WebBrowser in Kiosk Mode ie from CLi negates the need for a Desktop and this will free up some resources

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 66&t=40860
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

BillStephenson

Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 am

On my Pi Midori takes 5 secs to start and another 10 secs to load the home page of this site. That's not too bad.

I have it over clocked to "Turbo" and use an official "NOOBS" SD card. This is a stable set up so there's really no good reason not to use it.

gkreidl

Sat May 31, 2014 3:40 pm

Minimal Kiosk browser starts in less than 2 seconds and opens the start page of raspberrypi.org in about 3 seconds with Javascript disabled, and needs one or two seconds longer with javascript enabled.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

rmwebs

Sat May 31, 2014 7:31 pm

RaTTuS wrote:because of bad web pages and bad x
elinks from the terminal is fine
Come again?

The web pages are not 'bad'. The pi's SOC is the real issue. Some sites will perform better than others. Most modern sites will be slow to use on the Pi as it's simply not up to the task.

gkreidl

Sat May 31, 2014 9:09 pm

rmwebs wrote: The web pages are not 'bad'. The pi's SOC is the real issue. Some sites will perform better than others. Most modern sites will be slow to use on the Pi as it's simply not up to the task.
"Modern sites" - terribly designed, often consisting of a few hundred elements, quite a number of javascript libraries coming from other servers (slowing things down), with lots of superfluous stuff, full of ads and stupid things nobody wants to see (sliding images, movies starting to lay automatically etc.). Do we really need that?

Run a simple test: ask yourself, how much of a web page contains information you are really looking for.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Jessie

Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:11 am

I don't think the Pi is a good tool for web browsing myself. Does it get the job done? Yes most of the time, but if you are used to a modern 4 core PC it will seem jerky and sluggish. There are plenty of things that the Pi is well suited but IMO (and this is just my opinion) anything using x server is not a good fit.

pluggy

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:51 pm

It depends from whose standpoint as to why the web is slow on a Pi. The web has evolved with PCs, PCs are powerful so they can put a lot of 'fluff in the pages and a modern PC can handle it, but you go back a couple of decades in performance which is what you're doing with a Pi and its intolerably slow. It would handle early internet OK, but we're way past early internet....

The is fabulous for some things, but it won't replace a modern computer.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

RaspberryPiBoy

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:07 pm

I have not had the RPI long but in the short time I have, I have loved tinkering around with Raspbian etc. I installed Mame4ALL which runs great, although be better when I get a controller for it. Looking for something else to do with the RPI now I have got hold of some spare SD Cards lol

BillStephenson

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:43 pm

RaspberryPiBoy wrote:I have not had the RPI long but in the short time I have, I have loved tinkering around with Raspbian etc. I installed Mame4ALL which runs great, although be better when I get a controller for it. Looking for something else to do with the RPI now I have got hold of some spare SD Cards lol
There's a good thread on SD cards and some benchmarks on different cards here. The cards that work best with Raspbian are generally not the fastest rated cards.

And try out the over clocking settings too. I haven't had any issues using these settings, but you do need a good power supply for the pi and a good self powered usb hub.

These two things will make a noticeable difference in web surfing.

The Pi will never be a great web surfing machine but there are applications where it's a much better choice than a hot rod quad core and it has gotten better since it was first released. For example, it's working great in my wife's office where her employees have mucked up at least a dozen PCs over the years. The Pi works fine for surfing where they need to but they're finding it's pretty sucky for their favorite sites that'll muck up a PC. They called a couple times to declare their successes but ended up disappointed when they saw how easy it was to swap out the SD card and everything was back to where it should be. I haven't heard from them in awhile now. I guess they've mostly quit trying. :D

Return to “General discussion”