dmarples

Shipping to Russia

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:43 am

Folks,

Due to a screwup (on my part) I am in the very fortunate situation to have two RPIs. I have established contact with a guy in Russia who would dearly like it and, since it seems to be difficult to get them delivered there directly, I'm perfectly happy to send my spare over to him.

Does anyone know of any legal or procedural reasons why I can't just put this one in a box and post it over? Are there any markings or anything else needed for the Russian Federation that aren't needed anywhere else?

DAVE

itsonlyme

Re: Shipping to Russia

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am

I send packages to Russia by mail occasionally. Be aware that there are significant problems with items being stolen by customs and postal staff. I get roughly a 50% success rate with delivery about 3 weeks.

All you need on the package is a standard customs slip.

DHL might take if your friend can collect from their depot. Domestic delivery of small parcels in Russia by DHL seems to be a no go area these days for the same reasons.

Malcolm

Spark

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:29 pm

itsonlyme wrote:Be aware that there are significant problems with items being stolen by customs and postal staff. I get roughly a 50% success rate with delivery about 3 weeks.
I recieved more than 50 parcels last few years from China, Singapore, UK, Germany, US - there wasn't any case of stealing. Long delivery time - yes. Up to 2 months sometimes, unfortunately.
itsonlyme wrote:All you need on the package is a standard customs slip.
Yes.

DHL, EMS... I think it's better to buy beaglebone or something like that than pay a half of Pi's price for delivery(in case of only 1 PI board).

Also there are many mailforwarding services from UK to RF .

MadHorseman

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:52 pm

Won't there be quite a few Russians going back after the Olympics - maybe they could hide a few RPi's amongst their Gold Medals??

Evilronald

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:44 pm

I have recieved parcels from a friend in Russia and vice versa without problems in the past, the only problems Russian customs seem to have is with food, which never gets through. Though thats common in lots of places, Australia, NZ etc.
I can't see why you would have any trouble sending a Pi ;)

Phil Spiegel

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Evilronald wrote:........., the only problems Russian customs seem to have is with food, which never gets through. Though thats common in lots of places, Australia, NZ etc. I can't see why you would have any trouble sending a Pi ;)
Better be careful how you describe it on the customs form then! If FOOD is blocked, a Raspberry Pi may not make it through :lol:

Evilronald

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Phil Spiegel wrote:
Evilronald wrote:........., the only problems Russian customs seem to have is with food, which never gets through. Though thats common in lots of places, Australia, NZ etc. I can't see why you would have any trouble sending a Pi ;)
Better be careful how you describe it on the customs form then! If FOOD is blocked, a Raspberry Pi may not make it through :lol:
BUD DUM TSSSSH!...can't believe i didn't see that one! lol :mrgreen:

Return to “General discussion”