dextop

Re: Fantasy RPi 2 spec (what's yours?)

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:36 pm

My Rpi_2 specs:
- CPU: positronic unit
- Audio/Video out: DbRI (Direct brain render interface)
- Network: hw telepathy
- Storage: quantum memory
- PRICE: €10 + €5 for mpeg/VC-1 licenses
Sorry but it's friday......

tufty

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:To make Gigabit Ethernet realistic would require that there be a dedicated channel on the processor fast enough to keep up with it, and--probably--some sort of controller chip as well. That would complicate things and make it a lot more expensive.
Basically, the easiest way to do gigabit ethernet would be by using a different SoC - there's plenty of ARM based SoCs out there with gigabit "on chip" - Marvell's Armada 5x0, GridConnect's GridARM devices (no onboard video on those, though, IIRC), ST's SPEAr1310, and so on. Whether it's currently possible to put a gigabit-equipped SoC on a board with all the bits and pieces required and hit a Pi-like pricepoint is another thing entirely, of course.

My argument would, of course, be that you don't really need all that stuff to hit the goals of the Pi.

Simon

sdpenaloza

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:46 pm

1 GB ram - expandable capability (a man can wish)
Multiple ARM cores (to mess with parallel programming)
1Gbit or 100Mbit ethernet connectivity (use the A or B model like current to have that optional between versions)
e-sata connection (for the luxuary RPi users they can mess with SSD or the power hungry with external HDs)

All wishful thinking as i am not sure how viable some of the specs I would like is possible without compromising power usage.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:20 pm

sdpenaloza wrote:1 GB ram - expandable capability (a man can wish)
Multiple ARM cores (to mess with parallel programming)
1Gbit or 100Mbit ethernet connectivity (use the A or B model like current to have that optional between versions)
e-sata connection (for the luxuary RPi users they can mess with SSD or the power hungry with external HDs)

All wishful thinking as i am not sure how viable some of the specs I would like is possible without compromising power usage.
So far as I know, to go to 1GB memory would take either a different SoC (as other boards are doing) or a change to the BCM2835 (*very* expensive) by Broadcom. Either of those options would require a complete new PCB design. 512MB is doable today, but cost prohibitive. It is unclear just how serious Farnell was with the--briefly--posted price of $50 for a 512MB Pi Model "B". The closer that was to a real price, the sooner it is likely to happen in practice.

There are a couple of boards that have a single SATA port. Both use the Allwinner A10 Cortex A8 chip with the Mali400 GPU. I have seen some reports suggesting that support for the GPU is less than overwhelmingly good. It appears that the VideoCore IV on the BCM2835 is one of the best you can get, and there is good support for it as well.

Personally, I would *love* to see a SATA port added to a future version of the Pi, or a related device. I would see a multicore, 1GB (or more), with SATA and a faster default clock "Pi-like" device as a sort of "Pi Server" to go with current Pis as "Pi Clients"...but my applications are not the kind that the Foundation is--so far at least--interested in. (This is not to say that a classroom full of Pis with a server for some functions would be a bad thing...but it's not where the Foundation is now, and there is nothing so far that suggests the Foundation is going in that direction.)

That's why I look at every other ultra-small "Pi-like" system that people mention. So far, the cubieboard appears to be the closest to a "Pi-like" server that I've seen. I'm just not sure that the cubieboard will actually get into full production...let alone at the price they're talking about so far ($50). If they're available in about 6 months, with a Debian/Ubuntu port that works, I'll probably buy 2 to 4 of them, where two would be a paired set of database servers (with replication), one to test and develop on, and one for a spare.

adlambert

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:44 pm

I'd like a 700MHz BCM2835, 256MB RAM, Ethernet, USB, HDMI.

If I wanted anything else, then I would just go and pay the extra and buy it.

Mr Nod

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:58 pm

adlambert wrote:I'd like a 700MHz BCM2835, 256MB RAM, Ethernet, USB, HDMI.

If I wanted anything else, then I would just go and pay the extra and buy it.
At last, some common sense.

Why are people expecting lots of hardware upgrades to the Pi which pushes it more into the "PC" arena. If you want multi-core CPUs, with a gazillion MB RAM, VRAM, HDRAM or whatever, go out and the spend money! This isn't what the Pi was designed for or aimed at.

This thread getting really daft.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:53 am

I dunno. Daft but sometimes interesting!

But is odd when people describe something they want THAT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE!

I guess they just mean 'I want this, but cheaper than the current ones'.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

thradtke

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:35 am

jamesh wrote:I guess they just mean 'I want this, but cheaper than the current ones'.
Maybe, but the Pi does have other strengths those people likely wouldn't want to miss, like good support, a nice community, and the concept of a quite closed set of hardware which makes it easier to setup a stable system. It's as close to the concept of an old homecomputer as nothing else available today that I know of. Very appealing.
Rocket Scientist.

chris_c

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 am

I started this thread because there is no harm imagining what spec Pi 2.0 might have, it might just even give someone inspiration. It also does illuminate very well what features people deem important or would find most utility from, something that aside from being interesting is actually useful.

Wherever Pi 2.0 comes from it will almost certainly be based on a chip(set) from an existing product, very possibly a product like a tablet or phone that's in existence today, although I do have to wonder what will happen once itel's ivy bridge range has paid its R&D bill... (2025? :o) ) I was shocked and delighted when I saw first hand the performance of the HD 4000, imagine an i5 (2 cores 4 threads) slightly under clocked so it can be passively cooled.... mind blowing!

What does interest me is what "built in" devices do people consider important.

for example if it has wifi, is Ethernet important (still very useful for clusters...)

is hdmi only okay or should there be a rca video jack too?

Is some simple sound hardware okay, or should there be some multi channel DMA enabled hardware mixing beastie in there?

What specific device mix would you like in your dream Pi....?

jamesh

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:41 am

thradtke wrote:
jamesh wrote:I guess they just mean 'I want this, but cheaper than the current ones'.
Maybe, but the Pi does have other strengths those people likely wouldn't want to miss, like good support, a nice community, and the concept of a quite closed set of hardware which makes it easier to setup a stable system. It's as close to the concept of an old homecomputer as nothing else available today that I know of. Very appealing.
Fair points!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 am

I wouldn't like to see a new RPi until Moore's Law made it possible at the same price point, at which time we would be able to get, say, twice the computing power and twice the RAM.

There are a huge number of projects out there that would profit from two upgrades: good audio with input as well as output and good networking with WiFi. You can do that now, but only using external hardware, which fragments the effort and ruins the form-factor. Having everything sat on the same USB bus reduces bandwidth, so I'd like to see the networking on a built-in NIC on the SoC.

So maybe in 2015, we might get a new Broadcom SoC with dual or quad cores and network and sound interfaces built-in. The second chip might be a WiFi transceiver. And of course the memory would be at least 512MB at the same price point.

My remaining wish would be for a cheap and universal LCD interface, but that would have to wait on industry producing a standard... or HDMI may just get encapsulated in a single cheap chip in the next few years and become ubiquitous.

Burngate

Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 am

This thread is about a Fantasy, just like unicorns.
I'd just like a Pi that didn't rely so much on USB, in fact didn't have it at all.

And big knockers

Return to “General discussion”