Sabrina

Re: XBMC Live USB Persistent

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello everyone

It's fantastic what you do, the size of this little computer is really unreal

I wanted to know if Pi is able to run XBMC Live USB and play 1080p x264 and also install a distribution Lubuntu like to surf the web ?

Can give me a link with models A and Ip Ip B, because I do not know that it is the model A or B

I think you will become famous soon with that little computer

Thanks

Sabrina of France

Chris

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:29 pm

No it wont, XBMC is very resource heavy and claim that it wont ever run on the R-Pi on their own forums. There was a whole debate over this which ended up pointing out that XBMC is very poorly coded in the way of efficiency.

I actually used it a few years back on my pc which was high end at the time and it felt sluggish and bulky.

xxxstarmanxxx

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:17 pm

It may be worth exploring some of the unofficial boxee live cd stuff floating around - I have had much more success using boxee on linux boxes over XMBC in the past.

J.

Sabrina

Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:29 pm

For which software it will be necessary to read the videos 1080p?
Lubuntu and Gnome Player?

Thanks

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:14 am

Interesting the XBMC guys on their forums are saying that - it's absolutely the opposite of what we've heard from some of their devs, who are working with alpha boards. I can't promise anything, but at the moment a port is looking like a real possibility for when we launch.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

IcyK

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:14 am

Quote from liz on September 18, 2011, 02:14
I can't promise anything, but at the moment a [XBMC] port is looking like a real possibility for when we launch.
That 's +1 Model B for me, then ... 8-)

Chris

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:13 am

Interesting the XBMC guys on their forums are saying that - it's absolutely the opposite of what we've heard from some of their devs, who are working with alpha boards. I can't promise anything, but at the moment a port is looking like a real possibility for when we launch.

Thats great news

Ren

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Quote from Chris on September 17, 2011, 17:29
No it wont, XBMC is very resource heavy and claim that it wont ever run on the R-Pi on their own forums. There was a whole debate over this which ended up pointing out that XBMC is very poorly coded in the way of efficiency.

I actually used it a few years back on my pc which was high end at the time and it felt sluggish and bulky.

It's hard to imagine what XBMC frontend does over something like WebKit. Think there is a definite argument for scrapping their frontend and going entirely web based. Nothing I've seen in XBMC can't be done in a modern web browser imo.

botdream

Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Wow, wonderful news, even if is just a 'maybe', just knowing that someone is looking at it I feel happy!
I've been running XBMC on an old XBOX (V1), still working pretty well (OK, not doing HD stuff, no horsepower for that), crossing my fingers!

Regards,
Nelson.

joukio

Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:44 am

Liz,

do I really read that there are already XBMC developers working with some alpha boards? And do they really think it would be possible to run XBMC on the RPI?

That would mean 10+ on top of the 4 I already had in mind.... :)

liz

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:25 pm

They sent us some screenshots (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them here; I'll try to find out) of XBMC running on Raspi at the weekend; it's looking very good indeed. Oh - and yes, please do buy 10!

Chris

Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:05 pm

Quote from liz on September 20, 2011, 17:25
They sent us some screenshots (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them here; I'll try to find out) of XBMC running on Raspi at the weekend; it's looking very good indeed. Oh - and yes, please do buy 10!

I know I should not, but I take that statement as XBMC does work on the R-Pi. looks like I am buying an extra 2 now.

joukio

Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 am

I will buy 10 of these babies when I finish up with the first 4. Besides that I am spreading the word around in the company I work for and there are a lot (>10) of people that want to buy one or more of these devices (B-model mostly).

Think that once xbmc is running nicely the number of people will increase by 2 or 3.

regards and please keep up the good work

Jouk

Benja

Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Well if this thing runs xbmc it is sure to sit behind my (and a few of my friends') tv very shortly after release!
* Hopes for the best *

blc

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Excellent. Though from what I understand of the GPU & licensing situation, we may not see GPU-accelerated video decoding. XBMC does support VDPAU - if I remember correctly - but from what I've read on these forums, the RasPi uses OpenMAX. I don't know if XBMC (or it's MPlayer backend) supports OpenMAX. Without GPU-accelerated decoding, you can forget about HD video in XBMC.

Though there are ongoing discussions around licensing, so I don't really want to speculate too much on this. Either way, if XBMC devs are positive about this then it's a good sign :). Even if it only ends up supporting SD content, you could still potentially buy a media centre PC for $35!! :)

mcscruff

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:34 pm

dont forget good old geexbox, the new version uses xbmc front end and it runs on arm i think..

joukio

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:30 am

hi Liz,

any news yet on the screenshots?

regards

Jouk

s7mx1

Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

XBMC does support openmax and GLES2. You can remove X11 if you want. That's how xbmc being build under IOS (GLES2 without x11).

I can imagine there may be a few issues with GLES2 initially but I would expect a fully working system to be available soon if someone (hopefully those worked on the iOS port) are already working on it.

Will try to grab one when its available and try to put xbmc on it just for fun.

Quote from blc on September 22, 2011, 18:29
Excellent. Though from what I understand of the GPU & licensing situation, we may not see GPU-accelerated video decoding. XBMC does support VDPAU - if I remember correctly - but from what I've read on these forums, the RasPi uses OpenMAX. I don't know if XBMC (or it's MPlayer backend) supports OpenMAX. Without GPU-accelerated decoding, you can forget about HD video in XBMC.

Though there are ongoing discussions around licensing, so I don't really want to speculate too much on this. Either way, if XBMC devs are positive about this then it's a good sign :). Even if it only ends up supporting SD content, you could still potentially buy a media centre PC for $35!! :)

Luka666

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Quote from joukio on September 30, 2011, 09:30

hi Liz,

any news yet on the screenshots?

regards

Jouk
*BUMP*
Anything happening of this front?
Best regards, Luka

liz

Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Not yet - the powers that be would prefer that we don't show anything until there's a full port, in case things don't work out. As soon as I have something, you guys will be the first to see it.

Chris

Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Thats understandable.

Montekuri

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 pm

Quote from mcscruff on September 23, 2011, 00:34
dont forget good old geexbox, the new version uses xbmc front end and it runs on arm i think..
Yes! Geexbox runs on arm devices:
http://www.geexbox.org/about/w.....s-geexbox/

I like this Media-Center Linux distribution because it is was highly configurable. I could add my own language, any remote control, background images and so on.
Let us see if it will play HD media on R-Pi.

obarthelemy

Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:11 am

Quick question, will the Pi version of XBMC offer uPnP/DLNA server features, with transcoding ?

I 'd understand if it didn't, not many of us plan to use the Pi... as a server ^^

obarthelemy

Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:04 am

BTW, I'm not sure geekbox will run on the Pi: both the OMAP ad Tegra are ARMv7, the PI is v6. Hve they confirmed they can run on v6 ?

Montekuri

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:17 pm

Quote from obarthelemy on October 15, 2011, 07:04
BTW, I'm not sure geekbox will run on the Pi: both the OMAP ad Tegra are ARMv7, the PI is v6. Hve they confirmed they can run on v6 ?

Well, the current version of geexbox is based on XBMC. If it will play on R-Pi will depend of the XBMC port to the ARMv6.

Return to “General discussion”