rebelweems

Using Raspberry Pi to fix infected PC.

Tue May 20, 2014 2:14 pm

I am new to the Raspberry Pi. I know I am not the first person to think of this so here goes....

Can a Pi be setup to be used a an emergency boot device to destroy viruses and trojans in PC's?

If so...What software can be used?

I was thinking of using CC cleaner and any other AV that would allow me to help clean up a system.

I would like to be able to simple plug it in and boot the infected system and begin repairs. I feel that there has to be a way to make this happen.

Any ideas would be thankful, and please remember that I am still new to the Pi.

Thank you

fruitoftheloom

Re: Using Raspberry Pi to fix infected PC.

Tue May 20, 2014 3:10 pm

It has not been undertaken because it is not in the real world a feasible project.....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue May 20, 2014 3:23 pm

The beaglebone black would be a better choice than the Pi for this usecase.

redhawk

Tue May 20, 2014 3:28 pm

This is a bad idea since you would have to physically remove the hard drive something you really want to avoid at all costs (as well as other reasons I can't be bothered to mention).

There already exist anti-virus/anti-malware software which you can burn to CD and boot from your computer (no hard drive removal needed) most of which I understand are Linux based and free.
There is also Hiren's tools which has bootable XP mode (MiniXP) this can provide a safe environment to copy / backup files and to run cleaning software.

Richard S.

rebelweems

Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 pm

Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate the information.

gadgethome

Tue May 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Would be easier to make a usb stick bootable and then place the anti-virus/recovery software on it.
I used this http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/ to create my usb boot disk.

rebelweems

Tue May 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Thank you for this link. I figured the Pi was a Frankenstein was to do it but figured it would be worth a try.

I look forward to trying this usb stick idea.

Also thank you for being understanding and not ripping this noob a new one for trying to us a Pi for more than a game console.

:D

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 20, 2014 8:51 pm

gadgethome wrote:Would be easier to make a usb stick bootable and then place the anti-virus/recovery software on it.
I used this http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/ to create my usb boot disk.
The OP wanted a solution using the Raspberry Pi Hardware / software
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

topguy

Tue May 20, 2014 9:05 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: The OP wanted a solution using the Raspberry Pi Hardware / software
What most people want is a virus free PC. So if the OP really have an infected PC I would *not* recommend using a raspberry Pi.

But if the OP rather wants to discuss this from a technical/teoretical viewpoint there is one idea that I see as possible.

If the PC has a PXE enable bios/network card its possible to network-boot the PC from the files stored on RasPi.
* http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX

Jessie

Wed May 21, 2014 4:05 pm

I agree with the two posters that reccomend booting from a live cd or usb stick loaded with a minimal Linux and AV preloaded. Most likely images out there already for this.

If you really want to go the R Pi route there are plenty of usb to sata/ata cables out there. If there is a compatable av then you are all set for a multi-day scan.

FM81

Wed May 21, 2014 5:26 pm

topguy wrote:But if the OP rather wants to discuss this from a technical/teoretical viewpoint there is one idea that I see as possible.

If the PC has a PXE enable bios/network card its possible to network-boot the PC from the files stored on RasPi.
* http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX
I wouldn't blame this idea at all, and topguys link seems to be the right way. Modern versions of SYSLINUX have very intersting features ...

Why NOT using USB-booting?
Nearly every newer PC supports PXE, and it is very often better implemented from BIOS-side than "boot from USB".

And why NOT using a bootable CD?
Yes, CD-booting works very good and safe; but it is easier to update some files on the RasPi ...

@ TO: Please forget following: Boot the infected PC in normal way, and then plug the RasPi, this will not work!

MfG, FM_81
A: What does the command 'cat /dev/urandom', can you tell me please?
B: Yeah, that's very simple: It feeds your cat with radioactive material!

JoeDaStudd

Thu May 22, 2014 11:38 am

Personally I use flash drives with AV, anti-mal/spy/adware software as well as clean up tools like CCleaner then run it on the local OS starting in safemode first.
The trouble with running scans from another OS is the scanners can't check live/active nasties and they can get permission issues with files/folders.

redhawk

Thu May 22, 2014 1:06 pm

The trouble with running scans from another OS is the scanners can't check live/active nasties and they can get permission issues with files/folders.
Security permissions only apply to OS settings, if you boot from BartPE or MiniXP they flout security permissions so stuff like SVI and system registry files can be accessed.

As for can't check live active nasties that may well be true, but a good anti-virus program with heuristic capabilities or signature based should prove quite effective (except for AVG).
Heuristic results should however be taken at face value I've had instances where genuine programs, applications even my own work have been flagged up by AVG even though I know them to be 100% clean.

If you have a persistent nasty on your Windows drive then a boot CD with Windows OS would prove useful i.e. inspecting registry entries for auto starts with Sysinternals Autoruns, checking file creation time stamp to confirm whether a program file or driver file had been created at the time of infection, or performing a manual system restore with SVI snapshots. (etc...)

Richard S.

Return to “General discussion”