Guest42

[Rasberry Pi] Carbon Footprint

Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Hello everybody!

Question: do you know what is the carbon footprint of a Pi (manufacturing of components and transport.)

Thank you,
Guest42.

mfuzzy10

Re: [Rasberry Pi] Carbon Footprint

Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:17 pm

The pi's are one of the only computers that are manufactured in the uk (wales). This means theres not any transport pollution from the boats bringing components to china to be assembled and then boats to bring the assembled pi's back so there is . The reason they produce them in the uk is because they are made fairly cheaply made and most of the people who purchase them live in the uk. The pi also has a very low carbon footprint as they are litterly bare-bones hard wear and require already owned monitors/tvs and keyboards and mice from currently owned computers.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:19 am

mfuzzy10 wrote:The pi's are one of the only computers that are manufactured in the uk (wales). This means theres not any transport pollution from the boats bringing components to china to be assembled and then boats to bring the assembled pi's back so there is
Components come from all over the world and Pis are sold all over the world, I doubt the overall impact on transportation distances is significant.
The reason they produce them in the uk is because they are made fairly cheaply made and most of the people who purchase them live in the uk.
Afaict the main reasons for producing the Pi at the sony factory in the UK are.

1: the raspberry pi foundation is a UK charity and as such wanted to support british industry
2: the quality and consistency of the product is much better than the chinese factories (for example it's apparently common practice in chineese factories to substitute components without getting the customers permission). this means that while labour costs are higher return rates are much lower (and returns are expensive) making the overall package cost-competitive.

toxibunny

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:17 am

Answer: I do not.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Mandrewpi

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:18 pm

I got mine in the U.S.
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi 4 4Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws, Pi 400.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:36 pm

The carbon footprint of the components is going to be the same (on a component by component basis) as any other electronics. The issue with components is the whole "conflict free minerals" concern.

What keeps the footprint of the Pi low is that there is very little actual material, and very few components involved compared to--say--a full sized computer, or even a laptop. That not only reduces the footprint by using small quantities of materials, but also by reducing mass and, therefore, shipping weight and shipping fuel consumption.

Given the number of Pis being sold, the overall carbon footprint of the Pi is going to be pretty low compared to nearly anything else coming out of the tech sphere.

Ravenous

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Fairly impressive thread resurrection by the way :)

pluggy

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:00 pm

A mere 7 months old. 2 year old + threads are regularly dragged up from the mire.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Joe Schmoe

Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Ravenous wrote:Fairly impressive thread resurrection by the way :)
Indeed. One can only hope that the OP is still around to appreciate it.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Richard-TX

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 am

The last time someone asked me about carbon footprint, I told him that simply by living he produces a minimum of 3 kg of carbon emissions every day. I recommended that he help "save the planet" by killing himself. He didn't. I can only surmise that he just doesn't really care about saving the planet. If he had really cared, he would be dead.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

gkreidl

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 am

Richard-TX wrote:The last time someone asked me about carbon footprint, I told him that simply by living he produces a minimum of 3 kg of carbon emissions every day. I recommended that he help "save the planet" by killing himself. He didn't. I can only surmise that he just doesn't really care about saving the planet. If he had really cared, he would be dead.
Basically you are saying;
People who really care about pollution and destruction of natural resources should kill themselves so the remaining idiots can go on with their destructive work.

That's about the most stupid (and cynical) argument I've heard for a long time.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Joe Schmoe

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 am

Basically you are saying;
People who really care about pollution and destruction of natural resources should kill themselves so the remaining idiots can go on with their destructive work.
Alas, true.

The real problem is that that applies at the national/global level. Nothing the developed world can do is going to have much effect, as whatever carbon they don't produce, the developing world will. I don't need to mention which countries are going to be eating our lunch if/when we cut back…

Sad all around.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Return to “General discussion”