kitcho207

IP Weather Station

Fri May 16, 2014 8:24 pm

Hey guys,
Simon from Wollongong Australia here.
I had a bit of a look through the forum search function but couldn't really find what I was after.
First post and don't know too much at all about the Raspberry Pi, but I would like a cost affective method to receive WIND STRENGTH & DIRECTION from a remote weather station. I'm thinking the best way would be over GPRS mobile (cell) phone, but totally open to ideas. The distance between the weather station and my home is around 20km so wifi is not an option.
What equipment would I need to get this up and running so I could view the data over the web on my home PC or even on my smart phone.

Weather Station
Mobile (cell) phone with charger connected
Solar panel
Battery
Raspberry Pi ???
Modem / Router ???

ghans

Re: IP Weather Station

Fri May 23, 2014 7:20 am

How do you connect the Weather station to the Pi ?
Have people reported success using it under Linux ?
Do you want to use your Phone as modem or do you
have something else in mind ? Do you have an
idea for safe shutdown when the battery runs out ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

kitcho207

Fri May 23, 2014 7:35 am

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.

How do you connect the Weather station to the Pi ?
The weather station has USB and WiFi.

Have people reported success using it under Linux ?
Dont know of anyone personally having sucess, but on another forum someone mentioned there were some weather stations working with the use of Pi.

Do you want to use your Phone as modem or do you
have something else in mind ?
Was hoping to use the mobile as a modem to keep things compact, but unsure how to do this.

Do you have an idea for safe shutdown when the battery runs out ?
Hopefully the battery wouldn't run out as it would be supported by a solar panel. I wasnt aware Pi needed to be shut down with a controlled process

ghans

Fri May 23, 2014 7:53 am

Controlled shutdown is indeed important to avoid
SD card corruption. Could you post links to the datasheet and
product page of both the phone and the Weather station ?

Do you have an overview about the power budget ?
How many Watts can you drain 24h/365d ? How many Watts
under direct sunshine ? How many Watts do you need ? E.g.
3.5 W for a Pi is a bit conservative in my opinion , especially if
you include USB devices.

Last but not least have you enough efficient converters for all
the different Voltages of your setup ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

BMS Doug

Fri May 23, 2014 8:16 am

kitcho207 wrote:Hey guys,
Simon from Wollongong Australia here.
I had a bit of a look through the forum search function but couldn't really find what I was after.
First post and don't know too much at all about the Raspberry Pi, but I would like a cost affective method to receive WIND STRENGTH & DIRECTION from a remote weather station. I'm thinking the best way would be over GPRS mobile (cell) phone, but totally open to ideas. The distance between the weather station and my home is around 20km so wifi is not an option.
What equipment would I need to get this up and running so I could view the data over the web on my home PC or even on my smart phone.

Weather Station
Mobile (cell) phone with charger connected
Solar panel
Battery
Raspberry Pi ???
Modem / Router ???
here are a few suggestions for you to consider during your design stage:

rather than using a mobile phone why not use a GPRS modem, uses the same network but should be easier to interface and cheaper (and maybe lower power consumption too).

if you want your weather station permanently powered you will need to consider the worst case solar gain and plan for your system to cope with a week or two of that, if you want it to shut down at night you need to plan for safe shutdown and auto restart conditions.

you should plan for your size constaints, the larger your setup can be the more solar gain you will benefit from, and the more storage batteries you can fit in.
Size ideas: shoe box or suitcase? (probably somewhere in the middle, but where?)

Portability: do you want to be able to easily move the setup or have a fairly permanent installation.

Security: will other people be able to walk off with your setup? how will you stop them? ( a setup in a remote location that no-one visits may not need to worry about this).
Animal proofing: what stops local animals from disturbing your kit?

Waterproofing: water + electronics = bad.

I'd probably be considering something like a briefcase or suitcase sized arrangement, that opens to reveal twin solar panels, beneath the panels are the pi and the GPRS modem on one side and a bunch of batteries on the other side. A socket in the pi side of the case would be provided for the connection to the weather station. another socket in the side of the case would allow an external aerial to be connected to the GPRS modem.
Last edited by BMS Doug on Fri May 23, 2014 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

DougieLawson

Fri May 23, 2014 8:18 am

ghans wrote:How do you connect the Weather station to the Pi ?
Most weather stations use USB from the base unit. The remote sensors use a dedicated 2.4GHz channel.
The software of choice is PYWWS and that tends to predicate which stations are compatible with Linux (on a RPi).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

VENTS

Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 am

You can see that: http://www.lcjcapteurs.com/products/win ... d/?lang=en

Sonic Wind sensor output: USB or TTL or RS232
Very easy protocol: NMEA 0183 (since GPS receiver)

BMS Doug

Fri May 23, 2014 10:24 am

VENTS wrote:You can see that: http://www.lcjcapteurs.com/products/win ... d/?lang=en

Sonic Wind sensor output: USB or TTL or RS232
Very easy protocol: NMEA 0183 (since GPS receiver)
Isn't a marine specification weather station going to be quite expensive? in the UK you can get a home weather station for about £50 (when its on "sale").
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Return to “General discussion”