barunmishra007

Boot a system from the OS on Raspberri Pi Board

Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 am

Hello All,
Can we boot any other computer system from the OS on Raspberri pi board ? If yes then what medium we need to use to connect Raspberri pi board to the computer system. Please explain if it is possible.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Boot a system from the OS on Raspberri Pi Board

Mon May 12, 2014 9:42 am

""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

barunmishra007

Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 pm

No, Actually i want to connect Rpi board to a computer system using USB and want to boot that system with Rpi OS and need to fetch hardware details of that computer system.

masterluke

Mon May 12, 2014 3:18 pm

You mean you want to connect a Pi to a pc and have it boot off the Pi's SD card?

or

You want to have a PC boot its own operating system when prompted to do so by a connected Pi?

When you say "Rpi OS" what exactly do you mean? If you mean Linux (Raspbian) then this is (most likely) basically Debian Linux.

You are going to have to be a lot more concise about what you are trying to do.

Burngate

Mon May 12, 2014 3:30 pm

barunmishra007 wrote:No, Actually i want to connect Rpi board to a computer system using USB ...
This might be difficult, as the Pi only works as Host, so the other computer system has to act as Device ...

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 12, 2014 4:17 pm

USB needs a Host and Slave, therefore as both a standard computer/laptop and the Pi are both Hosts, plugging a standard cable between the two would send smoke signals.

There are USB " network" Data Transfer Cables the first hurdle is to find a cable which works http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

barunmishra007

Mon May 12, 2014 5:12 pm

@masterluke: yes i want to connect a Pi to a pc and have it boot off the Pi's SD card.

@fruitoftheloom: i have Net20 Debug device to connect Rpi and PC. I need to fetch hardware information of PC. So please tell if we have any option.

masterluke

Tue May 13, 2014 6:55 am

Assuming that you can get the pc to "see" the file system on the sdcard via USB somehow (which I don't think is possible).. the PC wont be able to boot the same operating system as the Pi. The operating system on the Pi is based upon armhf architecture rather than x86 so what is bootable on one will not be bootable on the other. Assuming that somehow you can get a PC to magically boot the wrong archtechture then you are effectively using the Pi as a very expensive and complicated USB drive. Why not just use a USB drive?

Am I missing something?

masterluke

Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 am

The closest thing I can think of is network booting the PC off a Pi. This should work. The Pi would be running its own operating system and hosting a share containing the x86 boot files. The PC boots via PXE sent from the Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 13, 2014 7:57 am

masterluke wrote:The closest thing I can think of is network booting the PC off a Pi. This should work. The Pi would be running its own operating system and hosting a share containing the x86 boot files. The PC boots via PXE from the Pi's share.
PXE requires a LAN, the OP wants USB via a NET20 ( whatever that is) !

Joe Schmoe

Tue May 13, 2014 8:06 am

(whatever that is…)
http://net20dc.com/
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

masterluke

Tue May 13, 2014 9:09 am

Perhaps you can describe what this Net20 device does and how it is supposed to work.

It seems to be for windows kernel debugging and doesn't allow any kind of booting from another device. I guess it talks to the windows kernel on the PC (when setup) and transmits debug info to a device that's listening on the other USB port.

I am fairly sure that this is designed to be a windows only solution for both target and host machines.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Windows kernel degugging?

barunmishra007

Tue May 13, 2014 10:31 am

@Joe Schmoe: Net20 is a USB debug device provide cross connection for both side USB connection

Can i Boot from Rpi' SD card OS on ARM based architecture machine connected to Rpi using Net20 Debug device.

barunmishra007

Tue May 13, 2014 10:37 am

@masterluke: No this works also for linux kernel debugging. But i need to fetch the hardware details of PC connected with Rpi without installing any program on PC.
But probably kernel debugging does not provide relevant hardware details. So i need to find some other way to fetch information.
Please tell me if you have some solution

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 13, 2014 12:07 pm

I don't think what you are trying to do is possible. The remote system - the PC - would need to be running some sort of software to scan its hardware, and some sort of interface software to enable it to connect to the Raspi. IMO, it cannot be done without changes to the PC end, probably in the BIOS itself.

EDIT. On the other hand, if you can make the plugged in device bootable (like a bootable CD, USB or SD card), then Is suppose it could load a bootable app to the PC which could do the work. BUT, the Pi model B cannot act like that (the A can I believe), and you would need to know quite a bit about making the device appear a) as a mass storage devive, b) bootable c) How to write code to run on the PC to do what you want. Which is out of the scope of the discussion - that will need Googling.

This all falls in a heap if UEFI is enabled.

EDIT 2: And remember, this is currently a theoretical discussion. I doubt anyone in the whole world has ever done this, so you will be venturing in to unknown territory.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “General discussion”