WelshMullet

Re: VGA... Am i missing something?

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:09 am

Could vga out not be simply done using a cable like this and a audio splitter on the phono port? :?

Seeing as how the av plug works on a tv, and the board is putting out the video part of the av cable ( i assume, this is probably where i'm wrong).

abishur

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:43 am

Ah that dastardly cable! How many a person has been laid low by it's siren call. Basically, the trip up here is that there were a handful of laptops created that used on of the unused pins on the VGA port to output a composite signal. This isn't a native feature of VGA, it was a special one of the GPU they were using. However, once the damage was done, there was no turning back. People all over were encouraged by scattered reports that this simple cable could be used to take VGA to composite out! To cut my tale of melodrama short, unless the GPU supports composite video out (which the r-pi does *not*) AND the manufacturer chose to attach said composite out to an unused pin on the VGA port (which few ever did) then this cable would be nothing more than a frustrating paper weight! :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

vladhed

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:45 am

Actually the R-Pi does support _composite_ video out (that thar RCA jack). It's component video that it is missing that would allow for VGA.

Yes, that horse that is long dead - see the flogging here:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....#038;t=283

abishur

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:57 am

lol, you're right I said it backwards!

willrandship

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Well, the only use I can see for VGA would be to hook up to old CRTs, since TVs have the RCA jack, and LCDs have DVI (which can come out of the HDMI)

That reminds me...does the HDMI in this support VGA? Probably not, but it can sometimes.

obarthelemy

Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:07 pm

no it doesn't.

abishur

Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 pm

obart is absolutely correct, the r-pi gpu lacks the ability to out DVI-A, it's only DVI-D and therefore can't do VGA :( But, on the bright side, Eben has come out saying that this is a serious issue (due not the the need of the hobbyist, but the need of the school using existing, older, VGA only monitors) and he's looking into what they can do to solve it and still keep the very important $25 price point.

WelshMullet

Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 am

Ah, i see where i was wrong to assume now. Thanks folks.

Just as a sudden thought... could a pci port be added in any way? (via some of the expansion pins / headers?) That way, old graphics cards could be procured cheaply and used to give vga output.

Michael

Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Nope, that is not possible. However, the wiki gives some possible alternative approaches: http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....GA_Adaptor

willrandship

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:30 am

Or, if you could get drivers for one running, there are those USB video cards, but they'll cost you more than the board itself.

abishur

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:19 pm

While that is certainly true, let me strongly caution against ever using one of those usb video cards. They are resource HOGS! I had an entire call center who just "had to have" a second screen and tried to use those USB->VGA devices. It was an utter disaster! On the bright side, because of that, we were able to convince the powers that be to buy the whole call center brand new computers that supported dual displays. It was bliss.

willrandship

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Hmm, it seems to me there are enough cheap TVs to be had that it shouldn't be that much of an issue, not having VGA. Granted, I do have a lot of VGA monitors that could be put to better use. :P

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 pm

I've got a kind-of update on this - Gert has found a way to enable VGA, but it'll require a big board revision and lots of rerouting we don't have the time to do before launch. It's looking good for a later version, though (we're also hoping to get PoE going, among other things). So hold onto those VGA monitors - you may be able to use them in the future.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

AdamC

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Quote from liz on September 19, 2011, 23:11
I've got a kind-of update on this - Gert has found a way to enable VGA, but it'll require a big board revision and lots of rerouting we don't have the time to do before launch. It's looking good for a later version, though (we're also hoping to get PoE going, among other things). So hold onto those VGA monitors - you may be able to use them in the future.

Give Gert a big sloppy kiss for me. That news just made my (and the 85 VGA monitors in my garage I will be building systems for low-income families with) day.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Soooooooooooooooo......................

If the Mk2 might be rejigged to provide VGA out, then the Mk1s due at the end of November will become collectors items! I might just order an extra one just to keep in its original, pristine state, as delivered. Unpacked, Never powered up...

:-)

Of course, it'll have to be a Model A!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

willrandship

Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 pm

You mean like the COM port arduinos are collectible? :P Somehow I doubt it will raise the value much, for a few years at least.

Not that it would cause me to postpone buying one anyways: My foremost applications don't care about screens much at all.

Return to “General discussion”