krisnation2000

Mupen64Plus Problem [FIXED]

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:38 pm

So, i got my new raspberry pi in 2013, Was happy to play Earthworm Jim on it for few months, Now I'm playing random games. A lot of N64 games ran on there except for 1, why wont Earthworm Jim 3D work, it loads the audio and it loads the music.The game will just show a black screen unless i click P on the keyboard, it shows a pic of it, then when i click p again, the audio appears but stays to that image! Whelsy I really need your help here :cry:!
Last edited by krisnation2000 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jessie

Re: Mupen64Plus Problem

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Moving this to the gaming forum.

welshy

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:10 am

krisnation2000
OK, which Graphics Plugin are you using? If its RICE, they may be a solution

CONFIGURATION FILE SETTINGS
The cfg file is located at /home/pi
.confg (Hidden Folder)
mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg

[Video-Rice]
# Control when the screen will be updated (0=ROM default, 1=VI origin update, 2=VI origin change, 3=CI change, 4=first CI change, 5=first primitive draw, 6=before screen clear, 7=after screen drawn)
ScreenUpdateSetting = (Default: 6)

Change value to alter screen update, can influence correct game performance (a setting of 4 will allow Star Fox 64 to render correctly and PilotWings 64 to display for example). Try each in turn, see if that resoves the issue.

Or
Change the Graphic Plugin to gles2n64 and try similar changes to the ScreenUpdateSettings.

Unfortunately it may just be Earthworm Jim doesn't work in Mupen64 (the compatibility list doesn't include it, but that doesn't mean it wont work as its no all encompassing!). This is one of the fundamental problems with N64 emulation (on ANY platform), fixing one game to run correctly can often 'Break' others, we have tried to make Mupen64 compatible with many games so they perform respectably rather than concentrate on one to perfection (to the detriment of others).
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

krisnation2000

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 am

To welshy,

I am using Takenover83‘s UltraSlim , the one that's on the emulation page of yours or w/e. Does that one use Rice?
Keep in mind I'm only 14, I'm new to this. :|
Last edited by krisnation2000 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

krisnation2000

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 am

I found the plugins...its rice,,,,how do I change to gles or w,e you said

welshy

Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:56 am

krisnation2000
OK, from the Menu Screen go into LXDE (XWindows), in the configuration file located in the 'Hidden' folder (if you cant see it, right click and select 'Show Hidden Folders'; located at /home/pi.confg/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg
Near the bottom of the file you should see -

[UI-Console]

# Mupen64Plus UI-Console config parameter set version number. Please don't change this version number.
Version = 1
# Directory in which to search for plugins
PluginDir = "./"
# Filename of video plugin
VideoPlugin = "mupen64plus-video-rice.so"
# Filename of audio plugin
AudioPlugin = "mupen64plus-audio-rpi.so"
# Filename of input plugin
InputPlugin = "mupen64plus-input-sdl.so"
# Filename of RSP plugin
RspPlugin = "mupen64plus-rsp-hle.so"

Change: VideoPlugin = "mupen64plus-video-rice.so"
To: VideoPlugin = "mupen64plus-video-n64.so"

Save and Close,
Reboot your System
Mupen64plus should now start using the N64Glide Video Plugin. (as it boots a Game read the log, it should indicate the Glide Video Plugin is being used instead of Rice.

krisnation2000

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 am

Thank you welshy! Thanks for the help! :D I will reply back if earthworm jim 3d work. If it does, the compatibility list can be changed!
Also i actully had this problem on a computer, When i played on Project 64 on Windows, Rice didnt play some audio and had a few glitches. Other then that it was running good on my computer! Also, do you recommend that i should get a HDMI to VGA for my computer screen? I like playing on my TV, but it gets pack sometimes.
Attachments
look_ewj2_3.gif
look_ewj2_3.gif (2.91 KiB) Viewed 22732 times

welshy

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:42 am

krisnation2000 wrote:Also i actully had this problem on a computer, When i played on Project 64 on Windows, Rice didnt play some audio and had a few glitches. Other then that it was running good on my computer!
I would advise running Project64 on Windows for N64 Emulation (Link - http://www.pj64-emu.com/), its compatible with more Titles (Blast Corps for instance) and is far easier to configure that Mupen64! Unfortunately there isn't a Linux/ARM fork which is why Mupen64 was used for the RPi.

'Also, do you recommend that i should get a HDMI to VGA for my computer screen? I like playing on my TV, but it gets pack sometimes.'
Its an option, however, good HDMI/VGA convertors can be expensive! All depends on your available budget, it may be purchasing a cheap, small LCD TV (with HDMI Input) may be a better option and then you would have a dedicated Monitor for your RPi!

There is more info on configuring the gles2n64 Plugin Here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... &start=100

krisnation2000

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5KtZph ... e=youtu.be
This is the result on any of the modes on update screen, except for 6, 6 is a black screen.
Jim loses his model, audio is glitchy, and does that same thing on GLES.

welshy

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:16 am

krisnation2000
Unfortunately it looks like that's the best your going to get, as indicated before, we have tried to make Mupen64 compatible with many games so they perform respectably rather than concentrate on one to perfection (to the detriment of others). That's just N64 Emulation for you (on any platform) in a nutshell, the reason is because its HLE (High Level Emulation) which attempts to simulate the response of the system rather than accurately recreating its internal design (LLE - Low Level Emulation). The N64 used Microcode to program the CPU & RCP (Graphics Chip) rather than directly accessing the Chip registers, due to the low Memory bandwidth for Textures and slow 'Unified' RAM rather than employing fast Graphics RAM (an issue the XboxOne Hardware is similarly facing against the PS4 even though their respective CPU's/GPU's are almost identical), many companies used 'Non'Standard' code to circumvent the bottlenecks in the Hardware for better performance (especially in regards to Texture Quality) resulting in Emulation difficulties.

zzediker

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:03 am

hello!
i'm hoping i can get some help here, as i'm fairly stumped where i went wrong.

i followed the install instructions from the main post:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=58395

i've been poking around with it for a few days now and i can't seem to get it to run.

i keep getting:

UI-console Error: dlopen(' ./libmupen64plus.so.2') failed: ./libmupen64plus.so.2: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
UI-console Error: AttachCoreLib() Error: failed to find Mupen64Plus Core library

but i can see these files are right where they should be. i'm not sure how to proceed from here.

any help will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: i should also add, that i'm adding this into Pimame(0.8), so i'm implementing it into its menu system as well. i've tested running it from the menu and from console, same result for both. not sure if that helps, but i thought it may effect something :)

krisnation2000

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Hey, sorry i havent replyed. I actually found out retropie was better to use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkdaOBxjjRY

Return to “Gaming”