ric96

new website too slow and heavy!!

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56 am

The website looks great but in developing contries like india where speeds can reach as low as 512kbps the page takes as long as 10-15 min to fully load up. The blog section take even greater time!!
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: sahajsarup@gmail.com
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

chrisryall

Re: new website too slow and heavy!!

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 am

[deleted]
Last edited by chrisryall on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:35 am

ric96 wrote:The website looks great but in developing contries like india where speeds can reach as low as 512kbps the page takes as long as 10-15 min to fully load up. The blog section take even greater time!!
This has already been discussed and the developer AFAIAA is looking into the various issues.....
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

u8nc

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:25 am

I tried to PM to Ben Nuttal on some private thoughts about the website ( I prefer not to be public about my writing, its more friendly i believe to make it more like a cosy chat ) but it just sits there in my outbox.
Is that normal? does it become 'Sent' when the recipient reads it?

ric96

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:36 am

u8nc wrote:I tried to PM to Ben Nuttal on some private thoughts about the website ( I prefer not to be public about my writing, its more friendly i believe to make it more like a cosy chat ) but it just sits there in my outbox.
Is that normal? does it become 'Sent' when the recipient reads it?
it will sit in outbox until ur recipient reads it!!
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 am

Ben has been very busy recently with the PiAcademy. I'm sure he will get to your PM soon. However, we do have a long Easter weekend break now in the UK, so probably not before next Tuesday.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

johndough

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:15 am

Hi

Overlap is my problem.
overlapped.PNG
overlapped.PNG (51.05 KiB) Viewed 4243 times

If I select a readable size font for me then I get the right hand side covering the blog bit.

Using XP and Firefox.

JRV

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:37 pm

I have noticed this on a lot of websites lately. Sites I frequently visit like my bank, SlashDot, Adafruit, and RaspberryPi are making fancy new websites that are more complex, harder to navigate, load slower, and take up more screen room. Change, without improvement, is bad.

jackokring

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:53 pm

The "too much money buys a large HDMI screen and a super fast computer, and it don't look slow or bad to them syndrome."
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

Douglas6

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 am

I thought Adafruit did a good job. It's graphics intensive, but works well in Chrome on my desktop, tablet and phone. None of that overlapping weirdness when zooming like so many sites.

chrisryall

Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:50 am

Spent some time last year persuading my son that his business site didn't need three different 5MB backgrounds :?

I run on a 1G network at work, but standard net sites make such assumptions all too often, and at their peril. Personally I've always tried to mirror the level of complexity, CSS deployment etc offered by bbc.co.uk. They have people paid to research such matters and to code appropriately.

Jednorozec

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 am

Douglas6 wrote:I thought Adafruit did a good job. It's graphics intensive, but works well in Chrome on my desktop, tablet and phone. None of that overlapping weirdness when zooming like so many sites.
I hate all of the black background with dark blue text. It's really hard on my eyes.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

Ivan Tham

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:06 am

I hope that I can download mp4 from the video such as vimeo and youtube from the post as I am viewing the post from the raspberry pi.
I can at least get the youtube video by youtube-dl but I can't view video from vimeo.
I am sorry for my English as it is not my mothertongue.

ric96

Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am

Douglas6 wrote:I thought Adafruit did a good job. It's graphics intensive, but works well in Chrome on my desktop, tablet and phone. None of that overlapping weirdness when zooming like so many sites.
i think its awesome
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996

Raspruss

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:26 am

I admittedly haven't tried accessing and surfing through the main RaspPi site (due to intense fear of slowness brought on by experience with this posting computer - a Pentium III running 600 MHz!)) but, prompted by this thread, it seems to THIS surfer that a Raspberry Pi site should be completely acceptable to a Raspberry Pi surfer. That is, if I walk over to my Rasp Pi and start up X and start up that browser (whatever it's called) I should be able to pleasantly surf the Raspberry Pi site.

[oh, an aside to another thread somewhere on these boards - my Raspbian RaspPi boots into a desktop command prompt, not X]

jamesh

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:34 am

I've just been trying the epiphany-browser on the Wayland demo just announced, on a 512 model B, and the browsing of the Raspi website isn't too bad at all. Mild overclock IIRC.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

DougieLawson

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:38 am

The biggest problem with the new website is that the home page doesn't provide anything useful. It's got that big bloated scrolling image but no valuable content.

With the old site the regular missives from Liz (et al) appeared as the headline "news" every time they were published. It was worth heading there once a day for a quick news injection.

With the new site to see the daily missives takes a second click. To see forums (on my tablet) needs a pinch then tap.

That isn't any kind of improvement in my books.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

jamesh

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:42 am

DougieLawson wrote:The biggest problem with the new website is that the home page doesn't provide anything useful. It's got that big bloated scrolling image but no valuable content.

With the old site the regular missives from Liz (et al) appeared as the headline "news" every time they were published. It was worth heading there once a day for a quick news injection.

With the new site to see the daily missives takes a second click. To see forums (on my tablet) needs a pinch then tap.

That isn't any kind of improvement in my books.
I've noticed that - it's a bit annoying. I'll have a chat with Ben and see what if anything can be done to make new posts more prominent.

rmwebs

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:28 pm

jamesh wrote: I've noticed that - it's a bit annoying. I'll have a chat with Ben and see what if anything can be done to make new posts more prominent.
Appreciate that you may not know, but are there any plans to remove the double scrolling boxes at the top of the homepage? Something like the 'what is a pi' video and then links to primary resources on the left of it would be perfect for the top-fold of the homepage. For a novice user, right now they'd just be massively confused by the busy homepage (IMO of course).

u8nc

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 am

For my 3-beer conversation with Ben, I haven't heard from him. but in the meantime I'd fought I'd get a reading among others.

All sorts of things have to compete for newcomers attention but two scrolling galleries feels like entering pi towers by having to cross two treadmills running at different speeds. They first have to fully load before they can display, hence the slowness.

Now what i want to bounce of the readership is, do we really need such a large invitation to the weblog on a page which competes for other more important things to show the newcomer?

If it's underneath a link, well, we just update our bookmarks.
Now do we need it to be called "Blog"?

Again newcomers may not understand that it's the most interesting part of the site. Normally they expect that to be headed under 'Latest News'. So I'm wondering if the blog should be remained "Showcase" in the top bar, with a catalogue of tags not far away.

I used to work for an architect who's solution to office mess was "Start a File..". In the end we had thousands of files and no way to find the one we were looking for. Likewise the tags seem to be spur of the moment keywords, hundreds of them there are but no reason for the newcomer to think that a possibility of any of them existing. After all they are unaware that they are unaware.

what do you think?
Last edited by u8nc on Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyrano

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Maybe the store needs a link on the frontpage too?

I hadn't bookmarked it and it took me quite a while starting from the frontpage. I ended up googling the link...

piglet

Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:46 pm

cyrano wrote:Maybe the store needs a link on the frontpage too?

I hadn't bookmarked it and it took me quite a while starting from the frontpage. I ended up googling the link...

It's there top right. Doesn't look like a link; more like a price tag label!

u8nc

Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:01 am

Well, its been quite sometime since and I haven't heard from Ben.
I do notice the number of comments on the blog entries on the new website are w-a-y down from what similar stories have attracted in the past. I wonder if not as many are (re)-visiting the website at all.

Return to “General discussion”