blackhawk

Using RPi as a remote monitor??

Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I have been looking through the forums and didn't see anything quite like what I am trying to do. I am wondering if there is someone out there who has done this before and can provide some suggestions if this is even possible on an RPi.

We have video cameras at a remote location along with a CCTV analog DVR at a work location. What we want to do is put a regular monitor in a remote location which can display what is happening without using a computer. The DVR allows for a web browser to hit it over the internet to display what is going on.

Effectively, all we really need is a box which allows for web browsing to display on a monitor (ie netbook). No need of XBMC or streaming/transcoding, recording, disk storage etc, just a plain ol browser.

Is this something the RPi can do? (I am concerned about discussions I read on poor web browser performance)
Anyone done something like this before that can point me into the right direction for building this? i.e.
  • Which linux distro to use?
    Which browser?
    Anything special to consider?
    etc.

DeeJay

Re: Using RPi as a remote monitor??

Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 am

A few general thoughts on a general problem.
We have video cameras at a remote location along with a CCTV analog DVR at a work location. What we want to do is put a regular monitor in a remote location which can display what is happening without using a computer. The DVR allows for a web browser to hit it over the internet to display what is going on.
I haven't done it, but I'm sure it should be possible.

To be picky, an RPi is a computer - but it's a very small one so perhaps that's OK?

No matter what the browser solution, does the network connection at the remote location allow incoming connections from devices on the public internet? Have you tried using a standard PC or Mac to run the browser, because if this can't be made to work you are out of luck anyway...

If the networking aspect is OK I'd suggest you try it and see - compared with the cost of the next possible alternative the cost of an RPi to experiment with is surely negligible for a business? Unless you know otherwise, start with Raspbian as the Operating System - it is the one backed by the Raspberry Pi foundation and the one with most community support available. It comes with at least 3 browsers built in, and the ability to easily add others. It does not support Flash - might be worth checking that the DVR webpage doesn't expect to render using Flash.

Performance is relative to the expectation of the user - that's a major reason for trying it yourself - only you can decide whether it is acceptable.

Finally, there a number of pre-packaged 'Digital Signage' solutions already available for the RPi. I don't know if any of these can pull in resources from remote locations for display, but if so that might be something worth looking at.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

ghans

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:08 am

In addition to DeeJays Answer , if the DVR uses Flash it
might be hard to get the stream working (via rtmpdump), but
if it uses ActiveX it might be near to impossible.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

prairietech

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:47 am

I'm using omxplayer on my RPi to view a IP camera pointed at my driveway.
The RPi has a direct connection to the HDMI port on my living room TV.
I use an Axis brand camera and found the proper rtsp command for omxplayer to stream the video.
The only downside is omxplayer has about 3-4 seconds of delay from live. I hear the back door slam before I see it slam on the TV.

Return to “General discussion”