mike8448

UK TV in Spain

Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi All,

Im a noob to R Pi.

If alot of this has already been answered then I have been unable to find it and I apologies.

Im from the UK originally and moved to Spain in January, up until then Spain could get good old Sky tv and you could bring across your sky viewing card or rent a room card off a friend.

In January Sky re-aligned there satalites so that Sky tv is no longer completely available in Europe, some channel might still be but depends on your elevations and your location that you may get one or two.

I want to know is it possible to get an R Pi, install one of the XMBC, also have a LIVE STREAMS of BBC 1/2/3/4/News, ITV/2/3, Channel 4, Channel 5/Dave/Comedy Central/ETC basically everything you can get on freeview.

By doing this of course the R Pi would need to be able to connect to a VPN in order to get these things as it is out of the country.

Is it possible to then chuck in a IR plus remote in order to use the above features?

Then on a final note, if this is a successful trial I would want to start pushing this set up to other Brits, so once a working test is in place, can I basically take a back up off the set up and quickly drop onto other R Pi devices.

Cheers.

GTR2Fan

Re: UK TV in Spain

Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:42 pm

It can be done by installing RaspBMC onto any SD card from 2GB upwards in size and adding the TVCatchup add-on to XBMC, but it's illegal to do so. Selling such a package on would land you in deep water with the relevant authorities if you were caught doing so.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

JoeDaStudd

Re: UK TV in Spain

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:33 pm

UK TV licensing fees are what pays for and gives you the rights to access UK tv channels.
Thats why your not supposed to be able to access them from outside the UK without they are being aired on another network which has paid for the rights to do so.

If your still paying your UK TV license there there are a few ways you can access the channels, either via a service or VPN.

Return to “General discussion”