- Type ctrl+alt+F2 to change to a different tty login. (type ctrl+alt+F0 to go back)
- Press the Tab key on the command line halfway through typing a filename to auto complete the rest of the filename.
- Type "sudo apt-get install synaptic" to get an easy to use package manager that is available from the desktop. (you might need to apply this bug fix http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... y_password )
- Links is a surprisingly good and very fast text only browser that works in a terminal. (install using "sudo apt-get install links" or using Synaptic).
- use "WinScp" from a PC to remotely navigate and edit files on the pi. (you may need to enable ssh on the pi first).
- If you don't want to always turn on your HDMI TV first then edit as root config.txt in /boot (using "sudo nano /boot/config.txt") and add the line "hdmi_force_hotplug=1"
- from an Android phone use "AndFTP" to access your files on the pi. Use sftp/ssh. (you can even use "ConnectBot" with "Hackers keyboard" to access the terminal).
OK so there are my best tips, what are your tips?