7ewis

Something that makes a sound when connected to Power

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:33 am

Hi everyone,

Slightly strange request here. But I'm finding it difficult to find what I am looking for.

So basically, I have a Pi setup with an RF Transmitter, paired to RF plugs. I want to be able to remotely control the power of a switch, and make a bell ring or something. At the moment, I have a mini fan plugged in, for testing. The fan itself is permanently set to 'On' so when I turn on the power of the plug, it comes on. I have also found a beacon light, which I am going to order, so I can send the Power On command and make it flash.

I really don't know what to search for to find something that can make a sound though. I have been looking at doorbells that plug into the wall, as I have seen some that chime when you plug them in, but I cannot find any online as people don't exactly advertise this 'feature'.

Hope I've made this clear, effectively I'm looking for something that beeps when connected to power, so like when you plug your iPhone into a charger. The idea is for it to notify people in the room, so it needs to be fairly loud.

Any ideas?
Raspberry Pi - Model B (512MB)

Richard-TX

Re: Something that makes a sound when connected to Power

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 am

You switching AC or DC? Low voltage or high? Buzzer, door chime, or wav files through a speaker?

"Specifics Bob."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDSNs9wBpU
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

PiGraham

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:17 am

Douglas6

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 am

Even a 5V piezo buzzer can be pretty loud.

PiGraham

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:31 am

Many wired doorbells probably play a sound when switched on, if you short out the bell-push contacts. That could give you a more melodious sound.

You might find this sort of sound module will play on power-up, and could be powered from a mains adaptor in an RF socket rather than batteries.

7ewis

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Richard-TX wrote:You switching AC or DC? Low voltage or high? Buzzer, door chime, or wav files through a speaker?

"Specifics Bob."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHDSNs9wBpU
Sorry I don't think I made myself clear. I won't be connecting anything to GPIO pins. I literally just need something that can be plugged into the wall, using the 3 pin UK plug. Then when it receives power, I need it to make a sound.

7ewis

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:04 pm

PiGraham wrote:A mains buzzer, like this?
Something like that, but it needs to be plugged into the wall.

7ewis

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 pm

PiGraham wrote:Many wired doorbells probably play a sound when switched on, if you short out the bell-push contacts. That could give you a more melodious sound.

You might find this sort of sound module will play on power-up, and could be powered from a mains adaptor in an RF socket rather than batteries.
Yeah I have been emailing many of the sellers on eBay that sell doorbells, and none of them have got back to me saying that theirs does this yet.

How would I achieve that? I don't want to have to do any wiring really. Although the was a USB module, I could look into a USB device that beeps maybe? Then could connect it to a USB charger!

Although I think I'm looking for something like this: http://www.wirelesslightingstore.com/us ... BY202F.jpg

To keep it simple.

PiGraham

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

7ewis wrote:
PiGraham wrote:A mains buzzer, like this?
Something like that, but it needs to be plugged into the wall.
You probably aren't going to find a device that buzzes when it's plugged into a live socket, because that isn't generally a useful thing.

You can attach a buzzer to a mains plug.You can use a plug-in doorbell (but those are probably RF activated so won't have bell-push contacts you can wire closed). Use a wire-in bell, with leaded plug.

You could build a mains buzzer into a plug-in case.
It may be cheaper to buy a cheap plug-in timer and fit a buzzer into that.

MAINS IS DANGEROUS. FOR YOUR SAFETY, INSURANCE VALIDITY AND LEGAL LIABILITY MAINS WIRING SHOULD BE INSPECTED BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.

I think your best option is a standard plug-in DC adaptor wired to a low voltage buzzer / doorbell / sound module.
You could attach the sound device, perhaps in a small project box, to the plug adaptor with glue or tape (leaving any ventilation holes unobstructed.

PiGraham

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 pm

7ewis wrote:Although I think I'm looking for something like this: http://www.wirelesslightingstore.com/us ... BY202F.jpg

To keep it simple.
I don't think that will work. It uses an RF remote which means you can't just wire a bell-push contact on the plug-in unit closed. I think that will be the case for all plug-in doorbells.

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:46 pm

PiGraham wrote:
MAINS IS DANGEROUS. FOR YOUR SAFETY, INSURANCE VALIDITY AND LEGAL LIABILITY MAINS WIRING SHOULD BE INSPECTED BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.

I think your best option is a standard plug-in DC adaptor wired to a low voltage buzzer / doorbell / sound module.
You could attach the sound device, perhaps in a small project box, to the plug adaptor with glue or tape (leaving any ventilation holes unobstructed.
With NICEIC part P it's not just inspection that has to be done by a certified sparky, it's the whole installation. The days of DIY are now illegal for anything more than changing a lamp bulb.

Homebase sell a plugin mains doorbell with a battery powered 12V press button that uses the ISM 2.4GHz to command the bell to ring, squeak, buzz, whatever.

It looks simple to re-engineer that so that a RPi can drive the low voltage sender.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

SteveSpencer

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:58 pm

The days of DIY are now illegal for anything more than changing a lamp bulb.
So I'm not allowed to change a light fitting, then, just the bulb?

Sheesh. I can see why it needs to be inspected/tested, since you don't really want some idiot starting fires or frying people (even themselves, although Darwin had a point there), but to stop someone competent yet not actually certified (as opposed to certifiable, of course, which is a different matter entirely) from doing relatively simple stuff seems, err, dare I say "Nanny State"? [Disclaimer: I am not a Daily Mail reader]
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

DougieLawson

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:08 pm

Correct part P basically restricts everything where you'd need to isolate a circuit at the consumer unit. There is some level of nanny knows best. I rewired a house back in the late 1980's with no certification needed. The funny part of doing that was the complete lack of testing when Eastern Electricity came to connect our meter tails.

Having seen the way the previous occupent of our house bodged things I know why part P is needed.

My 19yr old son is an apprentice sparky so I get told of the horror stories he has to fix every day.

BTW I wouldn't wipe my tail end with the Daily Mail. I've even blocked their websites on my LAN (because I can).
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

7ewis

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:50 pm

Ok, I just want something that I can plug into the wall, and when I turn the switch on, a sound comes on. I don't want any extra buttons or anything.

So in the same way, you can plug a lamp into the wall, and when you flick the switch, the light comes on. I want this, but for sound.

That's why I was looking at doorbells, I don't know what else to search for.

PiGraham

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:06 pm

7ewis wrote:Ok, I just want something that... when I turn the switch on, a sound comes on.
I don't know what else to search for.
Why are none of the various suggestions offered to you not acceptable to you, when they do what you have asked for?

7ewis

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:24 pm

PiGraham wrote:
7ewis wrote:Ok, I just want something that... when I turn the switch on, a sound comes on.
I don't know what else to search for.
Why are none of the various suggestions offered to you not acceptable to you, when they do what you have asked for?
Because I don't want something that I have to wire myself, I literally just want something that I can plug into the wall and it makes a sound. That's it. Like a plug in door bell, but I haven't been able to find something like this.

Ravenous

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 pm

7ewis wrote:Because I don't want something that I have to wire myself, I literally just want something that I can plug into the wall and it makes a sound. That's it. Like a plug in door bell, but I haven't been able to find something like this.
Well almost no such device exists. I suggest what is safe is to buy a spare 5V raspi power supply, cut off the 5V end and wire that to one of the piezo buzzers PiGraham mentioned. Very little wiring, and safe as long as you don't attempt to open up the supply itself.

The only other thing I can think of is a mains powered radio or small music system or something, just left with its power switch on. That's the only completely off the shelf thing I can think of.

Return to “General discussion”