BennettHJB

Can you download & install a program from a usb memory stick

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 am

I am trying to get a class of students to be able to do the OCR Singing Jelly Baby task. However, the Pi's currently do not have Internet access (this will be resolved later in the year) and so we can't just follow the instructions given.

Can we download MPG321 onto a memory stick and then install it from the memory stick?

If we can, where do I source the file for MPG321 and what instructions do we need to use to install the file from the usb rather than the Internet? I did have a go following research on the Internet, but it didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Helen Bennett
Head of ICT
St Bernard's High School
Westcliff on Sea

dr_d_gee

Re: Can you download & install a program from a usb memory s

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:09 pm

You could download the appropriate .deb file from http://www.filewatcher.com/d/Debian/arm ... 53074.html from a computer which does have internet access and then install it using

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i mpg321_0.3.2-1.1_armhf.deb
(assuming you have changed directory to that in which the file is stored). The problem is that there may be unsatisfied pre-requisites (other packages that need to be installed).

A possible alternative, if you can give one Pi access to the internet, is to install the file on that, and then copy its SD card using (say) Win32DiskImager, and you can then duplicate it on to all the other Pis.

Return to “General discussion”