Craynerd

Red Light only - won`t turn on after 1 month

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:24 am

I have been using a Raspberry Pi at school as a weather station using http://airpi.es/ This is a board that plugs into the GPIO ports and records weather data to Xively and Twitter @CHSweather

Two days ago, during weekend it just stopped. When I noticed it not recording data today, I found that the Pi was displaying just a red light only - indicating power but will not "turn on" or boot.

I have then TRIED a fresh SD card that I know is working in another school Pi and this also will not boot! Clearly there is an issue with the Pi. For interest sake, I then tried the SD card from the weather station in a working Pi and it will not boot.

From my simple tests, I see that both the SD card is corrupt AND the Pi is broken!

Any thoughts on what this could be? I have spent hours and hours getting the Pi to work and have not taken a backup! :roll:

I`d appreciate any thoughts. Clearly it is getting power but there is NO sign of any green light - just the faintest of a glow on the ACT light.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Chris

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Red Light only - won`t turn on after 1 month

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 am

read the boot sticky! is there a chance you have blown the polyfuse? even with the fuse blown, the power led will still burn, it just indicates some power, not that it gets enough power to work!

Craynerd

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:26 am

No, checked the fuse and 5.2v and 5.4v on either side.
Does it seem odd that the SD card has been corrupted as well?

Any other suggestions?

Chris

Craynerd

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Further update - 5.3 v between TP1 and TP2.
Tried 3 different SD cards, all of which boot on other Pi and do not boot on this one.

Tried pushing down on the SD card - SD card is making contact by the looks of it.

:shock:

GTR2Fan

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Have you tried a different PSU yet? I doubt it'll make any difference, but it's just possible that it may be sticking out a 'dirty' 5.4V and upsetting the Pi.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

Craynerd

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I`ve tried a few supplies and no luck! I`ve done lots of tests as I have a good number of working Pi`s and SD cards and definitely neither the SD card or the Pi from the problem unit is working!

What else could I have blown?

Chris

pksato

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Check voltages of ldo regulators from TP1 to out pin.
RG2, a big one near C6, out pin is 3, above 12 label. Need to have near 3.3V. (critical)
RG1, small, near P1, above RPi logo. Its is a 1.8V regulator. (critical)
RG3, a very small between RG1 and TV-out. Its is a 2.5V.
Have a internal regulator to power main CPU, but I don't know what is a test point. (critical)
The oscillator can be tested too. But, need a good frequency counter or a oscilloscope. Or voltmeter to measure average voltage.

After some time (30min) connected to PSU, the main SoC and USB chip get hot? Are more hot/cold that a working RPi?

If all voltages are ok, oscillators working, and get a cold chips, can be some solder fault on BGA connections. Exist a way to try a repair, but It can really destroy the board if done on wrong way.

Jessie

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:07 pm

Try pressing on the back of SD card (where the label is) while it boots. You could have a bad socket. It is rare but it happens.

Return to “General discussion”