botya

espeak

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:06 pm

hi,
im new at useing the pi so sorry if the solution is obvious
I have installed espeak on my pi and is working perfectly in the terminal
i want espeak to run in the background with other programs,
however when i embed the program with espeak command in the rc.local file it dose not work
in simple terms i want to interface gpio with espak and run it in the baground
pls help

mikey11

Re: espeak

Sat May 30, 2015 1:49 pm

I have the same problem years later.

metalj

Sun May 31, 2015 12:19 am

Try inputting something as long as a paragraph or two into espeak and it will slowdown and warp.
Backspace 28 times :)

Tom_A

Sun May 31, 2015 3:27 am

botya wrote:hi,
im new at useing the pi so sorry if the solution is obvious
I have installed espeak on my pi and is working perfectly in the terminal
i want espeak to run in the background with other programs,
however when i embed the program with espeak command in the rc.local file it dose not work
in simple terms i want to interface gpio with espak and run it in the baground
pls help
I installed the Voice Command set of scripts and it comes with a script for using Google Translate (I think) to convert text into speech. I've successfully gotten it to work with cron activated script that announce the time on the hour and also had it say "Welcome home." when my phone was detected on the wifi network. Not using the last script as I've had trouble reliably detecting the phone. It occasionally goes undetected causing the "Welcome home." script to activate again. The only downside to this is there's more of a delay before text is read out loud. The quality of the voice is better.

ric96

Sun May 31, 2015 11:05 pm

I have verry little idea what espeak is but the common notation is to try adding an '&' (without quote) after your command in rc.local
For example:

Code: Select all

espeak &
exit 0
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Tom_A

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:00 am

ric96 wrote:I have verry little idea what espeak is but the common notation is to try adding an '&' (without quote) after your command in rc.local
For example:

Code: Select all

espeak &
exit 0
Espeak is not a service you would launch and then keep running continuously. It launches with the values you pass it, including the text you want read off, it reads it and then exits. I think he has a script with espeak included in it that loops, periodically checking for what to say. If he doesn't, then that would be what is wrong. I've had success launching from a cron job using espeak, but didn't like the way the voices sound. There were other issues as well with the way it handled choosing an audio channel that messed with other stuff I was running.

Return to “General discussion”