Dessimat0r

No RPi inside RPi box..

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi all, I recently received an order from RS but there was no Raspberry Pi inside the box that arrived (it was just two pieces of foam). I tried phoning the order inquiry number on the invoice that came with it, but they told me that they didn't deal with Raspberry Pi enquiries, and told me to look on the website instead. Bit annoying.

What can I do? :/

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: No RPi inside RPi box..

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:37 pm

i've not heard that anyone else has had a problem like this and really the only things you can do are

1. contact them via the website as you were told to

and/or

2. make a claim with the shipper

and/or

3. make a claim with your credit card company

Dessimat0r

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Thanks. I sent an e-mail off to [email protected] anyway :)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:44 pm

What was the state of the box from RS when you received it? did it look like it had been opened or battered or was it still completely sealed

Montala

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Dessimat0r wrote:Hi all, I recently received an order from RS but there was no Raspberry Pi inside the box that arrived (it was just two pieces of foam). I tried phoning the order inquiry number on the invoice that came with it, but they told me that they didn't deal with Raspberry Pi enquiries, and told me to look on the website instead. Bit annoying.

That doesn't sound good at all... you don't say which country you ordered from, but I guess it might not have been the U.K.... or was it?

Was there any sign that the package might have been opened before it was delivered to you?

rmoriz

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm

Dessimat0r wrote:Hi all, I recently received an order from RS but there was no Raspberry Pi inside the box that arrived (it was just two pieces of foam). I tried phoning the order inquiry number on the invoice that came with it, but they told me that they didn't deal with Raspberry Pi enquiries, and told me to look on the website instead. Bit annoying.

Same here (Germany):
http://i.imgur.com/bwDKW.jpg

Package/bag was sealed, no signs of theft by the parcel service.
I'm already waiting for over 2 days for an reply from RS ([email protected]) .

Really upset :evil:

Dessimat0r

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Montala wrote:

That doesn't sound good at all... you don't say which country you ordered from, but I guess it might not have been the U.K.... or was it?

Was there any sign that the package might have been opened before it was delivered to you?
I'm from the UK -- the package didn't show any signs of tampering at all, and there was no mark on the foam cushions where a Raspberry Pi would had been. To me it sounds like a supplier pulled a fast one :(

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:51 pm

This is what I got here in the UK. If you got something different it's either due to the shipper or if you're not in the UK then maybe they shipped it diferently.

The box comes in an RS jiffy bag. (White with red "RS"s.) It should be a brown corrugated cardboard box with Raspberry Pi stickers on it. The box is held closed by two circular stickers. Between the two pieces of foam is the Raspberry Pi in an antistatic bag. There are also 2(?) bits of paper giving getting started and care instructions.

Dessimat0r

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 pm

rurwin wrote:This is what I got here in the UK. If you got something different it's either due to the shipper or if you're not in the UK then maybe they shipped it diferently.

The box comes in an RS jiffy bag. (White with red "RS"s.) It should be a brown corrugated cardboard box with Raspberry Pi stickers on it. The box is held closed by two circular stickers. Between the two pieces of foam is the Raspberry Pi in an antistatic bag. There are also 2(?) bits of paper giving getting started and care instructions.
Yep, it had all that (apart from the Pi). No tampering.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Congratulations! You win the one in twenty thousand, "HTF did that happen" prize.

Keep all the packaging. Be polite but self-assured.

rmoriz

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:21 pm

rurwin wrote:This is what I got here in the UK. If you got something different it's either due to the shipper or if you're not in the UK then maybe they shipped it diferently.

- no sticker/sticker marks on the brown box
- no paper inside the box
- nothing inside the box besides the foam.

Montala

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Hang on though... this seems to have happened to two customers... one in the UK, and one in Germany.
I don't know if they are sent to Germany from the same production line in the UK or not, but I wonder if small 'batch' of boxes could somehow have slipped through without anything inside them.
Whatever happened, it is certainly NOT good news, and I can understand both customers being very upset... I know I would be, if it happened to me.
At the moment I can't really offer any more advice, to add to that which has already been posted., although I think I would have been on the telephone straight away, and insisted on speaking to someone in authority.

nick.mccloud

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Dessimat0r wrote:To me it sounds like a supplier pulled a fast one :(
Interestingly libellous! Perhaps you'd care to expand on your theory?

Any time you get to sit and stuff hundreds of do-hickies in to bags & boxes every day for minimum wage you'll feel for these people. When (and I do occasionally) I have to stuff a few hundred somethings in to a few hundred other somethings I've lost the plot part way through and regularly have to go back and check the last half dozen.

Just ring them up, politely tell them what's happened and let them sort it out. These things happen. It's not personally and it wasn't a kidney.

Dessimat0r

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Didn't mean it like that, I meant that maybe there's something wrong on the production line, or maybe a load of boxes didn't get any in them for whatever reason :) Sorry for coming to conclusions so soon.

obarthelemy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Thieves happen. When I was eagerly awaiting my Galaxy Note, I saw it do Germany - France - Near Paris... - Germany. "package damaged". After inquiring, it was "package emptied" ^^ I'm just glad they spotted it, not me.
A while back there was a good one in France. Someone had ordered a spy camera, which duly took pictures of the postman opening the package, looking puzzedly at it, then putting it back. Internet fame !

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:09 pm

seeing as there seem to be two that we know of (more will probably come out of the woodwork over the next day or so or maybe not :) ) i suspect what happened is that someone started pulling boxes to put in the jiffy bags from the pile that was waiting to be filled rather than the pile that had been filled and that it wasn't noticed for a while.

These things happen a lot. In my youth i did a summer box moving and envelope stuffing and one day we sent out 5000 completely empty envelopes because someone had moved two boxes from the waiting to be stuffed pile to near the already stuffed pile without telling anyone. Luckily it was spotted before we sent out the REALLY IMPORTANT envelopes otherwise I wouldn't be typing this as i'd still be removing my bosses foot from my arse :D

oztrailrider

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:09 am

Sounds like a really odd thing to have happened. I would have to think it's definitely an oversight at the packing stage. I would think it easy to not be able to tell the difference in weight between an empty box and a box with an R-Pi in it. Hopefully the posters above can get it sorted and get hold of their Pis.

grumpyoldgit

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:18 am

A similar thing happened to me with a tin of chocolates this Christmas. I could swear the tin was full when I bought it but somehow it was empty a few days before Christmas. The funny thing is that the bin in the living room was full of chocolate wrappers. I just can't work it out!

rmoriz

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:18 pm

As RS was not willing to reply my mails within 3 working days and also not able to deal with the issue on the phone I just filed a Paypal claim. :cry:

RS seems not to be able/handle customer service well. I order with digikey and mouser regularly and it's like a day/night difference. srsly, WTF! :x

MrBunsy

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 pm

You know we've just had a weekend and a bank holiday, right?

nick.mccloud

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 am

rmoriz wrote: RS seems not to be able/handle customer service well. I order with digikey and mouser regularly and it's like a day/night difference. srsly, WTF! :x
You have a statistical sample of 1 - hardly conclusive.

Scotty T

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Wow what a buzz kill.

I got lucky and my second Pi is on it's way in the mail. This one is for my little boy.
Hope that doesn't happen to us.

rmoriz

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:06 pm

nick.mccloud wrote:
rmoriz wrote: RS seems not to be able/handle customer service well. I order with digikey and mouser regularly and it's like a day/night difference. srsly, WTF! :x
You have a statistical sample of 1 - hardly conclusive.
No mail address on the invoice/shipping note
=> FAIL 1

No mail address on their website
=> FAIL 2

I had to call and stay on the phone line for 5 minutes to get an email address. They don't do RasperryPI-related support questions over the phone.
=> FAIL 3

Autoreply with huge amount of text that requires interaction
=> FAIL 4

No confirmation after sending the mail again, with that "prefix #"
=> FAIL 5

No Answer after 4 business days
=> FAIL 6

That are too many FAILS. Sh*t happens, but if it's a long chain of failures it clearly shows that RS can't deal with the process well.

Remember: 6 FAILS after the initial FAIL: No RasperryPI, just an empty box without any label on it...

bigbudly

Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Hello, I have just had the same problem, full of excitement only to find an empty box (delivered to the UK from RS).
The box has all the seals and stickers on it but just two pieces of foam inside.
I seem to have had better luck with RS and have just emailed them the shipping note for them to make some inquiries. They should be get back to me today or tomorrow.

rmoriz

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:32 pm

My empty box hat not even labels:
http://imgur.com/a/JI7Rx

Also: No street name/number on the shipping label.

And no reply since I first mailed/wrote last Wednesday.

Return to “General discussion”