hippy

Re: The Mingle Forum Software

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:33 am

Is it just me or do others find the Forum itself awkward or difficult to use, somewhat lacking compared to other forums they've used ?

There's a New Threads Since Last Visit but no New Posts Since Last Visit, using an Avatar requires jumping through hoops ( and I'm not sure I agreed with the T&C's of providing one, but didn't have time to study them ), and in particular it's very hard to go to last / last read post on a thread. When I get an email notification of an updated thread I have to click on the included link, scroll to bottom of page, click on Last, find there may be earlier posts, scroll down again, and choose a page to go backwards to. I also keep forgetting to scroll down once I hit the Quick Reply area and the page links are below that so I don't always notice there are more pages later.

I also cannot find where to turn email notifications off for threads if I want to stop receiving them.

Any chance that the Forum could be migrated to something else ? Sooner rather than later would probably be better, certainly before R-Pi are actually being sold to the public.

obarthelemy

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:39 pm

+1, i find locating "just the new stuff" cumbersome.

vadsamoht

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Agreed, I have the new threads page as one of my home tabs, and it's... not the best.

That said, I'm sure that the RasPi Foundaiton has more important things to worry about at the moment.

rjw57

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Avatar was trivial I found. Mind you, I already had a gravatar set up for the other places I use it so I suppose the 'set up once, use everywhere from then on' promise paid off.

emercer

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:43 pm

Search is also severely borked (search for messages from user simply doesn't work), +1 on 'finding new stuff'.

also, +1 on 'RasPi Foundation has more important things to do', but hey, since the thread is open...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:50 pm

It's not the best I'm afraid. I keep finding annoyances!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:10 pm

Yeah - I'm inclined to agree. I'm also pretty short on time, though - if some of you can make suggestions for something we could migrate to where there's existing porting software, we can look at it.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:43 am

phpBB

I am not sure if there's a migration scripts for Mingle, but it's one of the most secure. Better do it ASAP so that there's not as much information lost. The longer you stay with Mingle, the worse it will be when you migrate.

Lob0426

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 am

phpBB has always worked decently. I do not know what the database is like in mingle. Never set it up.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

abishur

Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm

I think the main issue with using a different forum will be migrating the users and posts. I think I had found a way to transfer the users over, but I'm not sure how we would be able to transfer all the posts over to a new forum.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 pm

abishur, depends on the database design. It might be a matter of trying to find a migration script, or writing one.

piglet

Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 pm

phpbb has always been somewhat of a script-kiddy paradise, and sites I've helped admin got hacked within hours of the latest exploit being found. vBulletin is a lot more robust and feature packed, and is my forum software of choice, however:

https://www.vbulletin.com/faq.php#faq-93

Do you offer discounts for non profit/charity/academic organizations?
No - we do not offer any discounted prices for non-profit/charity/academic organizations.

Return to “General discussion”