vish

Customer products based on Raspberry Pi

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:21 am

Hello all,
I'm working on a startup which creates multimedia and in-car-entertainment products. We are currently searching for a new platform for our mid-end products. I have a few questions on this regard :
1. If we choose Raspberry Pi as our new platform, will it be possible to get the components of the board( the processor, HDMI/audio/USB peripherals ) sold separately and in bulk quantities once we are in production? We want them separately because, our board layout will be different as we will be including CAN/MOST and some touch-screen hardware onboard.
2. If we are using Rasbian OS( with a newly designed GUI customized for touchUI ), do we have to pay anything to any organizations?

Thanks ahead,
vish.

ThomasS

Re: Customer products based on Raspberry Pi

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:50 am

1) Not sure exactly what you mean by this, but the general rule is that anything on the board itself is very difficult to move around (and almost impossible for the processor.) However, you can easily buy USB peripherals and HDMI cables separately.

2) I don't know myself, but you could email Liz ([email protected]) and ask her :).
ThomasS

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:08 am

vish wrote:Hello all,
I'm working on a startup which creates multimedia and in-car-entertainment products. We are currently searching for a new platform for our mid-end products. I have a few questions on this regard :
1. If we choose Raspberry Pi as our new platform, will it be possible to get the components of the board( the processor, HDMI/audio/USB peripherals ) sold separately and in bulk quantities once we are in production? We want them separately because, our board layout will be different as we will be including CAN/MOST and some touch-screen hardware onboard.
2. If we are using Rasbian OS( with a newly designed GUI customized for touchUI ), do we have to pay anything to any organizations?

Thanks ahead,
vish.
1. The problem would be the SoC - that is not available 'off the shelf'. However, there may be some news on something that may help here, in the next couple of months, so don't assume this is a deal breaker just yet.
2. No, it's all OSS, BUT you will need to abide by the licence of the software that you include in the product if it is not your own - which is mostly GPL2 licenced. This is the same for any product that uses a Linux OS.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ghans

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:50 am

The official foundation images contain software licensed from
Oracle and Wolfram. You might need to create your own
images via the foundation "spindle" build tools or via
Raspbian /Debian standard tools (perhaps netinst) without
that licensed software.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “General discussion”