MrBunsy

Re: Are ARM based computers the future?

Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:53 am

An interesting point from a talk from a chap from ARM I remember at uni - there was no good technical reason why intel can't get similar performance out of x86. Their processors are basically RISC inside with an x86 wrapper already. So, intel will lose out because they need that RISC-CISC 'wrapper' but (personal opinion) I don't see why that wouldn't become fairly negligible. The big differences between ARM and intel are licensing and manufacturing, unless Intel have started to licence out designs for cores recently.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:03 am

MrBunsy wrote:An interesting point from a talk from a chap from ARM I remember at uni - there was no good technical reason why intel can't get similar performance out of x86. Their processors are basically RISC inside with an x86 wrapper already. So, intel will lose out because they need that RISC-CISC 'wrapper' but (personal opinion) I don't see why that wouldn't become fairly negligible. The big differences between ARM and intel are licensing and manufacturing, unless Intel have started to licence out designs for cores recently.
I don't think that the wrapper can ever be negligible. It has to do quite a bit of work. Now that work can be heavily optimised, but it is still work that takes power.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Burngate

Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:19 pm

MrBunsy wrote:... Their processors are basically RISC inside with an x86 wrapper already...
... so the latest & greatest x86 may actually be an ARM inside the wrapper?

Return to “General discussion”