MrMax

Customizing Raspi board / Adding additonal screens

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Hello All,

Is there any way to get a custom Rasberry pi board printed with your own specs. For exmaple i would want to add another 3 HDMI ports onto it (Total 4) so i can get lots of screen real estate.

Alternatively,

How do you add more than one screen to the pi? I know how to connect standard monitors but im talking portable monitors (More than 2). Does'nt matter about size and spec now, the framework comes first.

If you have any ideas how to do this or any turotials you feel would be beneficial please send them my way as i've literally run out of ideas.

Thanks,
MrMax.

DougieLawson

Re: Customizing Raspi board / Adding additonal screens

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:55 pm

MrMax wrote:
How do you add more than one screen to the pi? I know how to connect standard monitors but im talking portable monitors (More than 2). Does'nt matter about size and spec now, the framework comes first.
You need one RPi per screen there is only one output HDMI interface so it can ONLY drive one HDMI device. You can then use software to divide the image into segments and spread it across each RPi.

http://www.piwall.co.uk/
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

MrMax

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello Dougie,

Thanks for the reply,

That sounds along the lines i was looking for! So one Raspi per screen? then sync the pi's to a network, split them up into segments then align the segments onto the screens?

This is going to cost abit more than i thought.. £30 a pi + £25 a little satnav size monitor times 4 blocks = £220. Hmm have you done this yourself with little portable size monitors? This might make it pretty bulky and costly.

What about modifying the actual Rasbpi board by ripping out say the RCA video port, audio jack and ethernet ports and replacing them with hdmi ports so it can handle 4 screens?

Thanks,
Max

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi Max,
MrMax wrote:This is going to cost abit more than i thought..
What about modifying the actual Rasbpi board by ripping out say the RCA video port, audio jack and ethernet ports and replacing them with hdmi ports so it can handle 4 screens?
That would cost more... because you would drop away each RasPi modified that way... and maybe a monitor or two would also be victims of this idea.

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

MrMax

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Hello Ivan,

Yeah i agree after thinking about it thats a bad idea, too time consuming etc etc. Someone seriously needs to make a hdmi splitter or just a splittter in general (VGA, DVI) with video cards incorpoarted into each splitter child so that each screen can be handled invidually through its parent which in this case would be conncected to the pi.

I think that would solve it. Heard of one?

Thanks,
Max

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi,
MrMax wrote:Yeah i agree after thinking about it thats a bad idea, too time consuming etc etc.
It's not about time consumption... this idea is simply impossible to implement.
MrMax wrote:Someone seriously needs to make a hdmi splitter or just a splittter in general (VGA, DVI) with video cards incorpoarted...
I don't expect this to be cheaper (& better) than RasPi multiplication mentioned previously.

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:09 pm

MrMax wrote: What about modifying the actual Rasbpi board by ripping out say the RCA video port, audio jack and ethernet ports and replacing them with hdmi ports so it can handle 4 screens?
The chip on the Raspi only has one HDMI output so that is a no-go.

Multiple Pi's is the way to go I would tink, unless you can find a HDMI splitter - but i expect that woudl be more expensive than multiple PI's
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

MrMax

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Hello ALL,

So from the majority multiple pi's are the way to go. That means i am going to have to de-solder alot of the bulkier components to trim it down, which should'nt be a problem (Fingers crossed).

What about the actual screen's? I have already bought a bog standard one from amazon with no luck of it working.

----- Heres for reference: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitor-Support ... Automobile

Ripped it down to screen and PCB but it did'nt work when i tried connecting to it the pi for some reason. Maybe me not connecting it right.

On that note how do you connect one of these types of screens to a rasberry pi? Again any tutotials anyone knows of would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Max

ragnarjensen

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm using USB DisplayLink adapters for dual-screen on two Pis.
I have one expensive adapter and one cheap
The cheap one was about $36 US.

--
Ragnar
Last edited by ragnarjensen on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrMax

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello James,

Yeah i agree i'm not pursuing that route any more. But i do need to learn how to connect a screen to a rasberry pi properly first, If not ill have to have leads everywhere!

Thanks,
Max

4thdwarflord

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 pm

you can have two separate screens atthe moment, using HDMI and the Adafruit PiTFT, and when the official DSI port screen is available, I think that is also independent from hdmi, so thats three... as for a fourth, i have no idea on how that could be added.

klricks

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:21 pm

MrMax wrote:Hello ALL,

So from the majority multiple pi's are the way to go. That means i am going to have to de-solder alot of the bulkier components to trim it down, which should'nt be a problem (Fingers crossed).

What about the actual screen's? I have already bought a bog standard one from amazon with no luck of it working.

----- Heres for reference: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monitor-Support ... Automobile

Ripped it down to screen and PCB but it did'nt work when i tried connecting to it the pi for some reason. Maybe me not connecting it right.

On that note how do you connect one of these types of screens to a rasberry pi? Again any tutotials anyone knows of would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Max
These connect to the yellow RCA jack on the RPi. They usually have 2 inputs one is for a reverse camera. If the reverse input is used then you have to connect the reverse signal wire to 12V. Also if you used NOOBS then you may have to do some config changes to get the RCA composite to work.
Note that composite is poor quality low resolution and difficult to read jittery text.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “General discussion”