MDC

Re: Advice

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:06 am

A quick question.

When the raspberry pi comes out, which distro would you get Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux or other?

I will do my own research but a little advice won't do any harm, I need a distro I can use to learn programming and that will be just as useful as I become more skilled and start to write my own programmes. Also I would like people to know what it is I am talking about. So that if I get stuck I can ask and someone will be able to advise.

Advice anyone?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:15 am

You can always drop by the IRC channel, #raspberrypi on freenode to get live help. As for which distro, it really doesn't matter, linux is linux. You may have a different default theme, set of pre-installed software and software installation methods, but at the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preferences. Having said that, I'd go for Debian.

Also, the choice of distro shouldn't affect how you program. You can start right now in Windows even, all the tools are free. The best way is to decide what sort of programs you're interested in writing, pick a language based on that decision and dive in with a book or two.

WASD

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:41 am

I'd like to use Arch. But if most people will be using Debian it will be easier to google for solutions when you get problems. I'll probably start with Arch and if i encounter problems I can't solve then I may try Debian. I have experienced with both Debian-based distros and Arch.

obarthelemy

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:54 am

First, any choice you make can easily be unmade: any supported distro is just a free download and SD card overwrite away. Won't give you back time spent on the "wrong" distro though.

Second, it's too early to tell, guys from the distros are working on the Pi, some may give up, miss the deadline, or... do an outstanding job ! All 3 have a fair chance at it right now.

Third, there may be an "official" distro that takes the lead (the foundation's decision), and gets more official support and a bigger community.

Advice: don't fret, we'll know soon enough. In the mean time, you can download ukscone's VirtualBox VM ( torrent: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/6667294 ) and pretend you already have your Pi ^^

Return to “General discussion”