rkr

H/W accelerated video? (other than H264)

Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 pm

I was reading about the Pi at the wiki when I came across this:
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... ery_slowly

It says the GPU only supports H264 video acceleration although it COULD support other formats if the foundation bought them. Does that mean that we users can buy support ourselves?
Thanks.

campbell

Re: H/W accelerated video? (other than H264)

Wed May 30, 2012 1:42 pm

As far as I know, we cannot buy other codecs at this time. I believe Liz said in a blog post that it may be a possibility at a later date.

stevepdp

Wed May 30, 2012 1:48 pm

I believe this is the blog post you're referring to.

This being the important takeaway:
JamesH wrote: Two licensed codecs will be provided at launch, MPEG4 and h.264. Codec licences have quite an impact of the cost of the device which is why there are only two at this stage. There are non-licensed Codecs such at MPEG2, VC1 etc, but for the moment they will not be accelerated by the GPU.

Dom adds: As an aside, the GPU can hardware decode H264, MPEG1/2/4, VC1, AVS, MJPG at 1080p30. It can software (but still vector accelerated) decode VP6, VP7, VP8, RV, Theora, WMV9 at DVD resolutions. We are restricted due to licensing what we can support. We should be able to support VP8, MJPG and Theora, as I believe they are license free.
And as Cambell said, it might be possible in the future to buy licenses independently in the same way that say most Linux users have access to Windows codecs through vendors like Fluendo, but nothing has been confirmed.

Gert van Loo

Wed May 30, 2012 2:00 pm

yes, we are still thinking about this.
Biggest issue are of course first the admin of the licenses and second how to tie them to a specific PI safe enough that a single license does not go 'world wide'.

welshblob

Wed May 30, 2012 9:30 pm

Gert van Loo wrote:yes, we are still thinking about this.
Biggest issue are of course first the admin of the licenses and second how to tie them to a specific PI safe enough that a single license does not go 'world wide'.
Although I expect the first could be overcome with the help of the community and could provide some extra money into the foundation, I struggle to see how you will manage to achieve the second. Of course if a single licence does go worldwide then I dread to think what the penalty would be on the foundation from the license owner.

Rob

Gert van Loo

Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 pm

welshblob wrote:... I struggle to see how you will manage to achieve the second....
Rob
Some sort of signed code which is generated when you apply for the license (you have to give your PI ID which is in the OTP). That code would run on the GPU which makes it more difficult to hack.

rkr

Thu May 31, 2012 4:02 am

Thanks for the replies. Let's hope for the best.

If the foundation manages to buy more codecs then would they be only for the new boards with some new "firmware" or would they also be compatible/available to previously sold devices as well?

I guess it would be futile asking for an ETA for such decisions?

welshblob

Thu May 31, 2012 6:28 am

Gert van Loo wrote:
welshblob wrote:... I struggle to see how you will manage to achieve the second....
Rob
Some sort of signed code which is generated when you apply for the license (you have to give your PI ID which is in the OTP). That code would run on the GPU which makes it more difficult to hack.
That sounds very positive. I guess the only other thing might be the ability to transfer the license if your pi breaks. If not then that might just be a limitation of the service.

Cheers
Rob

godFather89

Thu May 31, 2012 6:55 am

It would be real nice to hardware decode all the popular video formats. This would make the Pi useful even when taking a break from coding. 8-)

Gert van Loo

Thu May 31, 2012 6:07 pm

rkr wrote:Thanks for the replies. Let's hope for the best.

If the foundation manages to buy more codecs then would they be only for the new boards with some new "firmware" or would they also be compatible/available to previously sold devices as well?

I guess it would be futile asking for an ETA for such decisions?
I have good and bad new,
The good news: The codecs would all run on the existing hardware.
The bad news is that no, there is no ETA for this.

Return to “General discussion”