DominusPi

Use RPi as part of processing for main computer

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:20 am

Hey guys,

First of all, this is just out of curiosity as I don't have enough "system processing/hardware" knowledge.

So, the question : would it be possible to connect the RPi to a computer and use it as some kind of processor extender? Like basically make a programm that says "I want google chrome to be managed by the RPi" so in this way the RPi would process everything connected to chrome and send the info back to the computer which would only have to display it.

I don't know if I explained myself properly so tell me if you're not understanding well ;)

Thanks, see ya'll !
Cheers !

redhawk

Re: Use RPi as part of processing for main computer

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:29 am

The Pi if anything is going to be slower than your PC so using it as a "processor extender" would be a little pointless.
Nevertheless the Pi is good for off-loading simple tasks from your PC such as web servers, proxy, file sharing and streaming internet radio, managing emails etc.

Richard S.

DominusPi

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:34 am

redhawk wrote:The Pi if anything is going to be slower than your PC so using it as a "processor extender" would be a little pointless.
Nevertheless the Pi is good for off-loading simple tasks from your PC such as web servers, proxy, file sharing and streaming internet radio, managing emails etc.

Richard S.
Thanks for answering redhawk !
Cheers !

Fidelius

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:35 pm

How the Pi could directly help your main computer, I don't know.

But indirectly, there's some options. For example, you could include your Pi in your LAN's Blender render farm, though -- theoretically. Blender's UI doesn't run yet on OpenGL-ES, but maybe command line only works (Blender is in the default Raspbian repository, but its GUI won't run).

Also there's more network farm aware applications.

Don't expect too much from a farmed Pi, but sometimes every bit cycle counts. And since you asked...

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 ... /Netrender

Raspruss

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Fidelius wrote:How the Pi could directly help your main computer, I don't know.
With the camera module attached the Pi could take images, preprocess them, then send them "across the 'Net" to the main computer to do its thang, whatever that is.

The taking, preprocessing and sending can, of course, be done in pseudo-parallel on the Pi since it's a full-blown multitasking Linux machine.

Return to “General discussion”