chrisryall

dupe lock - SORTED

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:54 am

Could someone kindly advise me. I seem to have done something forbidden, but hard to understand what?

Yesterday I started what I hoped might be an open ended discussion thread; as far as I could see it was in the correct subforum (doesn't really matter which) and looked back a few hours later to see what people had responded … as you do.

There was only one 2 word reply, an abrupt "dupe lock" and the thread had indeed been locked, presumably by an administrator.

Initially I wondered if "dupelock" might be some form of netspeak for a duplication of topic, but there are countless of those here that seem to survive moderation? I tried a search using the implied subject(s) of the thread but it revealed no similar topic (admittedly I might have done this initially, and I searched on title, content search gets some serious numbers here)!

OK, no findable "same topic" already that i might read and join. So I tried a simple search on the terms "dupe lock". Seems no one has ever used these words together before.

So Is dupe some form of pejorative term, perhaps à la Homer Simpson? my topic didn't seem particularly stupid (compared with eg "I've just fried my pi" which I've seen perhaps 20 times now), and I'd actually had a small "adult" F2F discussion with my computer manager that afternoon. My language was intended as practical and inquiring, and I'd tried really hard to avoid any prejudice.

I've "done forums" since 1996 or so and seen (others) threads locked off, but there has always been a brief explaination, and link to either the prior thread or FAQ item.

Any advice considered. If there is anything in the FAQ or elsewhere that i should read, do please point me at it

… Puzzled of Wirral (UK)
Last edited by chrisryall on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeDaStudd

Re: dupe lock?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:08 am

dupe lock means duplicate post, locking the thread.
Its done to avoid 100 threads with the same question and same answer or if someone posts the same thread numerous times.

I've just looked at the thread your referring to and in this case it was a true duplicate
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 32&t=69168
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 32&t=69169
Both start with the same title (albeit one with capitalisation) and the same contents. Looks like the forum or your computer glitched out and posted it twice.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:18 am

Sorry, hadn't much time to post so abbreviated.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

chrisryall

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks, it would seem that I may have been too hasty also!

[ed] Thanks mikerr below - the clicher being that it didn't work!
Last edited by chrisryall on Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikerr

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:15 am

It's also better to use a proper title,
your "snakes with forked tongues" title might seem clever in a python forum,
but less likely to get serious discussion than a descriptive thread title:
" should we use python 2 or python 3"

Return to “General discussion”