crispyking

Guides for beginners?

Tue May 29, 2012 7:08 pm

I'm a complete Linux beginner. I've never touched it before and don't have the first clue what to do.
I have plenty of experience on PCs, but so far this experience hasn't helped me get to grips with my Pi.

I bought a Pi for a number of reasons:
* I like gadgets
* I wanted to set up a personal web server so I can learn PHP
* I'm interested in trying XMBC
* I'd like to see what can be done with such a small cheap device
* It's something new to learn - which is the point of the Pi
* My colleagues were getting one.

So far I've been able to get Apache, PHP, MySQL, and Samba installed by following some German tutorials on YouTube.

I've read about the things you guys have managed to do, but struggle to follow the discussions about how to achieve them (one of them being getting a USB WiFi adaptor working).

I'd love it if there was a tutorial section on these forums for people like myself dipping their toes into Linux for the first time. A section where you guys could post a simple guide on how you've achieved what you have, no matter how straight forward it seems to you.
I know the Wiki has a tutorial section, but it's not well supported.

I realise this was really only a developers release, but I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who haven't a clue what they are doing.

cheery

Re: Guides for beginners?

Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 pm

Well.. One step at a time and you should obviously get forward. You could start about anywhere even if you're a newbie. Here's how:
  • For gadgetry, get some electronics knowledge. Perhaps from nerdkits? Substitute the AVR with raspberry pi. Connect different things on it!
  • Compile or install node.js or nginx on the RPi. Start from simple examples.
  • XMBC shouldn't be hard to install, but you might spend a day with configuring that. Pick an SD-card and try!
  • If you want to see how it compares to other systems, run benchmarks on it and compare the results.
  • If you like to see what you can do.. Maybe pick some peripherals and toy around with them. Read the forums to see what others are doing with the thing.
  • Pack up with your friends for a day or two and have fun hacking RPi together.
  • Tell people how to improve their tutorials and collect links to them on a wiki or some other such.
There's LOT of people like you, who have bought this thing without a clue. Maybe it's good thing since you get to test it all while it builds up. It's useful to know whether your instructions rub the right nerve you know.

For example. I did this, originally meant to be used with raspberry pi: https://github.com/cheery/pygame_tutorial Maybe you'd like to look in and review it for me.

I feel I could make some more tutorials once I get my hands on my card during the next three weeks. It's not like I wouldn't have "victims" here. :lol:

ghans

Tue May 29, 2012 8:07 pm

In this thread you may find some very useful links: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =27&t=6693
The "Basic setup and usage"subforum might be the best place to start !
Happy Baking !

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Bioshox

Wed May 30, 2012 6:21 am

Hello there!

I've setup quite a few beginner tutorials on my blog regarding web server settup, check them out: http://fusionstrike.com/category/raspbe ... web-server

Have fun :)
Owner of: http://www.fusionstrike.com - I make gorgeous Raspberry Pi Tutorials :)

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed May 30, 2012 7:56 am

As mentioned above, there are plenty of online resources to familiaries the new user with Linux in general and the Raspberry Pi in particular. However, there is also a place for offline resources too. Drop into a bookshop, or a larger public library - there are plenty of books that provide introductory texts on Linux.

In the UK, have a look in WHSmith (or other large newsagents). There are several Linux magazines available that cover all aspects of Linux use. For example, the current issue of Linux Format (LFX159) has started a series on using the Raspberry Pi. Another special issue by the same publisher covers using Linux from a novices perspective.

The benefit of paper resources is that you can read them when away from the computer and refer to them whilst working, all without the necessity of being online. And sometimes thats a very good thing!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Badvok

Wed May 30, 2012 11:01 am

Hi
like you I'm a complete novice when it comes to linux, i was able to get my Edimax usb wifi dongle working by using MrEngman's script and instructions [urlhttp://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6256][/url]
worked perfectly for me,

Return to “General discussion”