CopterRichie

Long Range Outdoor USB 150Mbps Wifi

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Do anyone have any experience with a Long Range Wifi device with the Raspberry Pi or in other network applications using a device such as listed below?

Thank you.
Long Range Outdoor USB 150Mbps Wifi Wireless Adapter with Antenna 10m Cable

Features:
High quality, stable & durable.
Supports 150Mbps transmitting rate.
Supports windows XP/ Vista/ windows7.
Perfect alternative for Router.
Built-in high gain antenna for a wider wireless coverage.
Compliant IEEE 802.11G/B/N technology.
Equipped with a 10 meter premium shield USB cable.

Specifications:
Model: LeGuang-N120
Transmission rate: 150Mbps
Frequency range: 2.4G
Channel: 1-13
Cable length: 10m
Interface: USB
Color: White
Item size: 13.8* 12* 4cm
Item weight: 505g
Package Size: 22* 14* 9cm
Package weight: 615g
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10m-Long-Range- ... rs_Dongles

ahlidap

Re: Long Range Outdoor USB 150Mbps Wifi

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Have you bought one?

I'm thinking in buying one to use in my RPi.
Currently I'm using a TP-LINK TL-WN722N, but need something with more range and built for outdoor (my tp-link is "glued" on the wall lol).

I'll take the risk, I can then post the results.

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi,
ahlidap wrote:Have you bought one?
I became very skeptical about various products promising miracles... Luckily (for me), they don't pay attention even to obvious things - when you see 10m USB2.0 cable, the seller is [censored] you.
Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cabling

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

ahlidap

Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59 pm

It works out of the box on the RPi.
I'm not using it yet, just hold it on my hand and search for some networks.

It detected one network that sits at about 2.5 Kilometers from my home. Detected, I don't believe it will connect, but.... it will do the work for sure ( replacement of my usb tp link ;) )

Regards,

ZaqHydN

Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:01 am

I own one of these, with the 10m cable. It works exceptionally better than any other option I've tried.
I don't use it on an RPi (I don't own one yet), but on my home office pc, standard "High Performance" antennas that come with retail routers and wifi devices were put to shame. I'm hoping to get the newest RPi in early 2015 to experiment with.

My home office is on a second floor, I'd put a standard antenna on an extension SMA cable and mounted on a Microphone stand (has worked well for me in the past) and pick up about a dozen nearby signals, only a third of them with 90%+ signal strength. Using the LeGuang-N120 USB antenna (with the 10m cable - I know it passes the limit, but it works) and I can pick up a dozen signals with a 90%+ strength, and two dozen others with less than that.

The major issue I had was with the driver; I had to search for it like a detective and found one that works. They also didn't ship the antenna mount, which I really didn't care too much about; I simply mounted it on a homemade stand that sits in my window.

I've tested it using XP and Win7.

Whatever people have to say about it that's negative is most likely from their own speculation or inability to find the proper driver to install it. All I have to say about the device is good things; the seller shipped it incomplete, but I worked around the issue.

I will be making a YouTube review of the device soon and will post a link to it here when I manage to finish it.

Hope this helps..

Return to “General discussion”