Dr LeFonque

Power Port relocation

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:49 pm

I've been interested in finding a power port relocator ever since I saw one featured in the Short Crust case.

It's a simple and elegant solution to moving the power input to the same side as the USB and Ethernet port so you don't end up with an electric octopus under your TV. All my efforts have turned out nothing, I'm really surprised more cases haven't adopted this solution and I'm also surprised how little I've managed to find about it on forums etc... has anyone come across anywhere where you can get your hands on one of these?

Dr LeFonque

Re: Power Port relocation

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm beginning to suspect that this is a custom job as some intense googling has turned out nothing. The individual components are easy enough to come by so I may have to break out the soldering iron and make it myself.... probably wont look pretty.

JoeDaStudd

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:46 pm

Looks like 2 of these
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/micro-b-usb-breakout-r2
One with a male and the other with a female

EDIT Looks like theses two
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12035
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10031

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 pm

The boards in that case look a lot smaller than the sparkfun boards. I suspect they were custom made for the purpose.

Have you tried emailing short crust and askning if they would sell the cable seperately?

pluggy

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:35 pm

The Pi's trademark is the 'electric octopus' wiring - leave it alone ;)
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Joe Schmoe

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:12 pm

pluggy wrote:The Pi's trademark is the 'electric octopus' wiring - leave it alone ;)
Maybe you should change your .sig to "Don't judge the octopus by the Pi".
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

pluggy

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:00 pm

The Pi is a wonderful device, but a PC running Linux is a whole lot better for many things. Not so many caveats and gotchas. To be honest my Pis are all headless so I don't see the electric octopus very much......
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Dr LeFonque

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love the electric octopi that are springing up around my house, but there comes a time when you want to upgrade one of these "small projects" into something more permanent (in this case a XBMC solution amongst my coveted AV equipment) and give it a more polished look. Is this sacrilege to the church of Pi?

Cheers JoeDaStud for your links, I hadn't come across them before and they are near perfect for what I was looking for but as Plugwash states they're a tad bit chunkier than what's in the Short Crust case. That said, I might use them for another project.

I think after all this looking around and responses I might just get the Short Crust case. Despite it being a bit dear for what it is (a molded bit of plastic with an acrylic lid and the paradox of a smart power port locator that doesn't seem to exist... I suspect time travel) it does look quite nice, although I'd much prefer a choice of colours for the base at least. The way I see it, further down the line when I decide to upgrade or change the case I can rip the power port relocator out, laugh manically for half an hour and then use it on another project.

Return to “General discussion”