Basim

Raspberry Pi Club

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:35 pm

Hello all this is my first post in this forum. I am 13 years old and me, some of my friends along with the DT staff at our school have setup a small (8 people at the moment) raspberry pi club on a Friday lunchtime in the aim of promoting STEM, mainly programming and some electronics projects. So far we have done quite a bit on python and most of the group are familiar with it, although we now want to start doing some electronics projects using the pi's GPIO. I am a programmer(mainly Java & Python) who also knows quite a bit about electronics although I haven't had much practical experience. It is mainly me and my friends who run the club as the DT staff don't have the programming / technical knowledge as it has been some years since our school did electronics. Bearing in mind we have a limited budget (max £50) I wanted to ask people for any recommendations for any projects that we could do. We have already done some basic blinking of LED's on a breadboard and made a simple ladder game using Python's RPi.GPIO instead of wiringPi and I want something fairly involved but not too complicated to explain to the younger students. Thanks in advance.

simplesi

Re: Raspberry Pi Club

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:23 pm

get motors and make robot vehicles :)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

kyle2k

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:32 am

PiCy - Raspberry Pi Cyborg

http://www.piborg.org/picypack

This is within your budget.

Craynerd

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:38 pm

What about a weather station like airpi.es

I'm a teacher and the beauty about this project is that you have electronics, programming and DT in building a box for it! You can then put it outside and let it run headless to record data 24/7. You could even pass it over the geographers to look after once you job of buildings it has done! The nice thing about this is that you can link it to your school website so parents can see a weather data stream and see what your club has been doing.

If I was you, I'd write a letter to your school PTFA (address it to the chair of the PTFA) and ask for the funds for your project. Explain all the things I said above about how parents will also be involved in seeing the data from home and they will like that! :) You could ask for £100 and you would have enough for a pi, sensors and bit left over to build the box.

Gary Littlemore

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Have a read of this post for ideas...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... =41&t=2306
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

Return to “General discussion”