redhawk

DOSBox outside GUI mode - keyboard problems??

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:04 pm

I've been using DOSBox from X11 and that works fine but as soon as I'm using it from the console without GUI all hell breaks loose.
When DOSBox loads (from what I can tell it uses it's own graphical layer) the keyboard doesn't echo the correct keys it's total garbage and not to be confused with language differences.
At first I though my wireless Logitech keyboard was playing up but then I swapped it for a PS/2 HID adapter and the same thing happens with my wired keyboard.
Furthermore if I carry on typing the DOSBox locks up and freezes the screen, killing the process remotely doesn't help and the screen is still frozen even when shutting down the Pi with init 0.
I'm running what I believe to be the latest version of DOSBox v0.74 under Raspbian (in PAL video mode).

Is there a problem with DOSBox running outside GUI mode??

Richard S.

Joe Schmoe

Re: DOSBox outside GUI mode - keyboard problems??

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:31 pm

I've had these same experiences - running completely standard equipment and settingd - and just decided to give up. It didn't seem worth it to pursue it.

(It really does lock the machine up solid...)

P.S. I've had similar experiences running self-compiled DOSBox on x86. Repo-compiled versions had other problems, though - which is what led to my trying the self-compile.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Jessie

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Dosbox on the Pi is horrible. Run rpix86 or fastdosbox instead.

4thdwarflord

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:13 am

Seems to be a universal problem, i've had this problem with a MIPS proccessor.

Return to “General discussion”