redratear

Re: PC power supply

Fri May 06, 2016 5:59 am

blc wrote:The idea of using a PC power supply for electronics stuff, or the RPi, really scares the crap out of me. Most modern power supplies put out a ridiculous amount of power - my next upgrade will use over 330 watts for the CPU & GPU alone. If there were some sort of problem or short circuit then there would be an awful lot of amps being pumped out...

That said, many people use PC PSUs with no issues, and there's always the +5vSB line as already mentioned. Google about for the ATX PSU pinout - there's plenty of info out there in this. It's all at your own risk of course... :)
He is right.
I am using PC Power Suply for my project to feed 6 Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and 1 Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.
PSU has 30 amp for 5v and enough to my project.
To activate PSU connect directly or with switch "green cable" to ground(Black).
Red cables have 5v, yellow cables have 12V and orange cables have 3.3v...
You can use other cables for your other requirements too
Each voltage has their own maxiumum Amper. These infromation noteted on PSU cover...

NickT

Re: PC power supply

Fri May 06, 2016 7:43 am

Please don't forget that many older ATX power supplies require a minimum load in order to deliver a correctly regulated voltage. Only reading the specification for your PSU will tell you a value for this but it will certainly need to draw more than just a few milliwatts.

Return to “General discussion”