raspfly

Lightest Browser

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:56 am

Apart from Midori which other browser works well (fast) with RPi ?
I tried chromium but it is too slow.
How about other Mozilla clones ?

shuckle

Re: Lightest Browser

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:04 am

It really depends on what you are doing.
I am happily running iceweasel although many say it si very slow. It has good features though.

raspfly

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:27 pm

How about seamonkey ?

redhawk

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 pm

lynx is pretty lightweight and wget / curl, however if you want speed with existing browsers then turning off image rendering should help since decoding them is pretty taxing on the processor. :D

Richard S.

Fidelius

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:02 pm

shuckle wrote:It really depends on what you are doing.
I am happily running iceweasel although many say it si very slow. It has good features though.
I too love Firefox & Thunderbird, but why are they (or rather their Debian clones with the Icy names) so slow on the Pi?
Is it because they use Javascript internally for some of their functionality? Normal C/C++ compiled programms are much faster, see that huge Openoffice / Libreoffice for example.

Is there maybe a way how to make Firefox & Thunderbird (much) faster on the Pi?

P.S. I would need my Mozilla Sync on the Pi! ;-)

redhawk

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:18 pm

The Pi's processor is slow, if you run software on a slow computer it's still going to be slow no matter what you do.
Overclocking the CPU is about the only thing you could do to help but the gain in performance would likely to be minimal anyway.

Richard S.

Fidelius

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:32 pm

redhawk wrote:
The Pi's processor is slow, if you run software on a slow computer it's still going to be slow no matter what you do.
Oh, other applications run fine on the Pi, once loaded, like Midori, Openoffice/Libreoffice (much bigger than the Mozilla suites), and so on.
They underline that there must be a different problem with Firefox (FF) & Thunderbird (TB) which makes them so slow on the Pi -- in particular when you open the option windows of FF & TB which takes ages...

The Mozilla programs got a lot of JavaScript packs inside them, so I suspect (but I don't know) that they use JavaScript or something similar it to run certain parts of them? Could explain the slowness. Maybe someone knows details?

redhawk

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Well I've use Midori and Netsurf on the BBC news website and it's not particularly fast but just about manageable.
A lot of things can affect performance, memory usage, the number of images to decode, disk cache poor performance with low Class SD card.
If you're running Firefox try disabling the JavaScript and with "about:config" (in the URL bar) try enabling "network.http.pipelining".

Richard S.

DrDominodog51

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:57 am

Dillo is super fast on a 45kB/s internet.

Fidelius

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:56 am

redhawk wrote:Well I've use Midori and Netsurf on the BBC news website and it's not particularly fast but just about manageable.
Yes, browsing with Midori is still not fast compared to a fast computer, but indeed "just about manageable" on the Pi, like you say. Of course I'd happy to see faster browsers, like the one Mr. Eben mentioned a few weeks ago.

What I meant in my previous postings here, is that there's something in Firefox (FF) & Thunderbird (TB) which makes them terribly slow on the Pi in general, even before you start to browse, to e-mail or to use TB's Lightning calender. It's much slower than Midori or any other normal application I've seen on the Pi so far (compared to FF & TB even a huge application like Openoffice / Libreoffice looks like Speedy Gonzales).
I'd love to know the reason for this slowness. Does anybody know?

You can see this slowness "in action" on FF and TB, by trying to open in the main "edit" menu the configuration sub-menu which opens a configuration window after some X minutes.

A lot of things can affect performance, memory usage, the number of images to decode, disk cache poor performance with low Class SD card.
Yes, this is absolutely correct, but still there's something other going on with FF & TB which makes them so terribly slow even when just opening their configuration window (i.e. before you enter the Internet).

ghans

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:17 am

Perhaps it's because the GUI in Mozilla applications is rendered
on-the-fly via Gecko from XUL , CSS and JavaScript ? Thats what
makes them so easily skinnable , i guess.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Fidelius

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:38 am

ghans wrote:Perhaps it's because the GUI in Mozilla applications is rendered
on-the-fly via Gecko from XUL , CSS and JavaScript ?
Ah, that could explain it! Danke.

Mozilla since several years uses a JavaScript Just-in-Time (JIT) compiler to speed up JavaScript used in web-sites, at least this is so for their x86 range of applications. Since I don't know how these applications work internally, I've to guess now, but maybe this JIT is also being used to speed up your mentioned GUI rendering of the Mozilla applications themselves? If so, since a JIT is normally very CPU specific (see Java), this JIT is maybe for x86 only, so far, but doesn't handle our nice ARM well (so far), meaning parts of FF & TB would be running via interpreted script code on our Pi, like a good old BBC BASIC program? :-) That could explain the slowness... at least it feels so.

P.S. Of course David Braben (@ PI foundation) managed to write his Zarch on the Acorn Archimedes in BASIC! Not... (Just kidding, but that's what the press wrote back then, because they saw him using the ARM BASIC's integrated ARM assembler...)
Last edited by Fidelius on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:42 am

elinks works great
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “General discussion”