seanvll

NOOBS on my netbook??

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:24 am

if i purchased a NOOBS could i install it on my netbook?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: NOOBS on my netbook??

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:13 am

seanvll wrote:if i purchased a NOOBS could i install it on my netbook?
No. The "NOOBS installer" software can only be (usefully) run from an SDHC card plugged into a Raspberry Pi - its purpose being to install (and, subsequently, re-boot into) one or more Operating Systems that the Pi can use. However, you can use your netbook to "install" NOOBS onto the SDHC card in the first place, instead of purchasing a card "pre-installed" with NOOBS.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

DougieLawson

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:30 am

If you want to run Linux on your netbook that's not difficult to do. Try getting a Live CD version on a bootable USB stick.

NOOBS can run in qemu (an ARM emulator that runs on X86) but that is probably too complex for you with your level of experience.

Running NOOBS outside qemu is not possible because your netbook is an X86 processor and your RPi is an ARM processor and the two are entirely different.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mikerr

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:28 am

DougieLawson wrote: Running NOOBS outside qemu is not possible because your netbook is an X86 processor and your RPi is an ARM processor and the two are entirely different.
Technically his "netbook", could be an ARM based chromebook - but unlikely ;)

NOOBS /raspbian is linux - so you can of course install linux (e.g. ubuntu) on your netbook and have a similar experience (the commands and applications are the same)

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:29 am

What 'netbook' do you have ? :)
lend me your arms, fast as thunderbolts, for a pillow on my journey.
If the environment was a bank, would it be too big to fail
so long; and thanks for all the pi

seanvll

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:22 pm

i have ubuntu already and i have a card slot. when i said purchase i ment the preloaded card.

theoscy

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:26 pm

You could, however would struggle to install it on your netbook. Raspbian is based on an ancient distro called KNOPPIX and knoppix can be installed, or booted live on a netbook. If you want another distro that can be installed via NOOBS it is all possible, Pidora is based on Fedora.
You could say my love for Linux is terminal ;)

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:32 pm

theoscy wrote:You could, however would struggle to install it on your netbook. Raspbian is based on an ancient distro called KNOPPIX and knoppix can be installed, or booted live on a netbook.
Raspbian and KNOPPIX are both based on debian but other than that there is no realationship between them.

Return to “General discussion”