CryShade

Controlling the Pi from a phone/pc far away?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Hey there,

I want to control my Pi from an Android phone or computer far away from it, What is the best solution for doing this and will I need any extension boards or the LogiPi FPGA board to do this? And I mean that the Pi is far away from my home computer, like in a quadcopter thats flying.

ThomasS

Re: Controlling the Pi from a phone/pc far away?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 pm

There is a forum post here on the topic, http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 7&p=394325, but personally I tried it yesterday and its a bit of a faff :? ! Even though there aren't too many steps, a lot of the programs seem to require other programs and extensions. Instead, I use Team Viewer on my PC with XRDP (sudo apt-get install xrdp) on my Pi, a remote desktop service which connects to your local computers. Then, from your PC you open Microsoft's remote desktop connection program, type in your Pi's ip address, and you have your raspberry Pi desktop :) .
ThomasS

DominusPi

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:49 pm

You could forward a port that you would then use to connect to the pi as if you were in your local network (I think)

I'm not an expert though, but try looking into that. ;)
Cheers !

brs

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Are you looking for a direct wireless link or are both the Raspberry Pi & controller connected to the Internet? How far is far? Do you have line of sight between the two?

redhawk

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:57 pm

You have 2 options, a) run an Apache web server with CGI scripts to call external commands, or b) access the Pi remotely with ssh (using ConnectBot for Android).
Before getting started your Pi must have a valid internet connection and an external IP address that doesn't change.
Next you must access your router to create a port forwarding rule to expose services require for remote access.
Since the internet is full of dirtbags trying to pwn your machine I would suggest changing your default login password, and change the port numbers for your ssh service and Apache web server to something less common.

When I was on holiday in Vietnam and Thailand last year I had my Pi running remotely for a cool 4 weeks on and off (power source controlled via a special latching circuit triggered by land line incoming call detection).
It was great fun I could do everything on my Pi despite being 6000 miles away, stuff like check my road cam / weather cam, upload files, access the BBC iPlayer (cos I was missing out my favourite sci-fi series).
I also had ssh running on my Pi this provided an encrypted proxy network layer so I can use my Android phone (via SSH Tunnel) on unsecured free Wifi without getting hacked. :)

Richard S.

CryShade

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:10 am

brs wrote:Are you looking for a direct wireless link or are both the Raspberry Pi & controller connected to the Internet? How far is far? Do you have line of sight between the two?
Both of them should be connected to the internet.

I should be able to see the quad but, I know that using my own internet for it will only let it go 30 feet. Also I have planned to put a camera on it so I can see what I'm doing.

CryShade

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:20 am

redhawk wrote:You have 2 options, a) run an Apache web server with CGI scripts to call external commands, or b) access the Pi remotely with ssh (using ConnectBot for Android).
Before getting started your Pi must have a valid internet connection and an external IP address that doesn't change.
Next you must access your router to create a port forwarding rule to expose services require for remote access.
Since the internet is full of dirtbags trying to pwn your machine I would suggest changing your default login password, and change the port numbers for your ssh service and Apache web server to something less common.

When I was on holiday in Vietnam and Thailand last year I had my Pi running remotely for a cool 4 weeks on and off (power source controlled via a special latching circuit triggered by land line incoming call detection).
It was great fun I could do everything on my Pi despite being 6000 miles away, stuff like check my road cam / weather cam, upload files, access the BBC iPlayer (cos I was missing out my favourite sci-fi series).
I also had ssh running on my Pi this provided an encrypted proxy network layer so I can use my Android phone (via SSH Tunnel) on unsecured free Wifi without getting hacked. :)

Richard S.
Thanks, Rich

I will try looking more into setting up the Webserver, but were you using the B or the A option when you where 6000 Miles away?

redhawk

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 am

Yes I was using both A and B options although Apache had SSL enabled I didn't need to view it via a secure network because SSL or https:// is encrypted anyway.
The trouble with free hotel Wifi is you can never tell whether your communications are secure there is always a change of a man-in-the-middle attack even if you're using WPA2 encryption. :)

Richard S.

CryShade

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:15 pm

redhawk wrote:Yes I was using both A and B options although Apache had SSL enabled I didn't need to view it via a secure network because SSL or https:// is encrypted anyway.
The trouble with free hotel Wifi is you can never tell whether your communications are secure there is always a change of a man-in-the-middle attack even if you're using WPA2 encryption. :)

Richard S.
Ok, well what option will work best when the Pi is in the quad like 50-60 feet up?

redhawk

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:23 pm

Ahh in that case you would probably want a reliable Wifi dongle. :)

Richard S.

CryShade

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 pm

redhawk wrote:Ahh in that case you would probably want a reliable Wifi dongle. :)

Richard S.
I do have a dongle, but do I still need to use your a/b option? And do you have a tut/easy way setting this up?
Also what type of dongle, a dongle that recieves network and Connects to it, or one that has a specific network set up to it so it can be controlled from everywhere ish?

Return to “General discussion”