qkall

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Out of curiousity, has anyone gotten the rpi2 working with the lapdock?

gregeric

Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:11 pm

Rpi 2B works fine with the Lapdock, same cabling as needed for the B+.

cjan

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:48 am

hi, which keyboard layout for lapdock choice?
touchpad mouse curser seems halt random & caps lock key blinking.

retknow

Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Worked with the RPi2

mr_arc

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:35 pm

Just to be clear, when people are saying Lapdock - they mean the earlier ones. Not the Lapdock 100 or Lapdock 500. The Lapdock 100 has the connectors on a cable rather than on board at the back of the unit.
With the Lapdock 100 (I have one), it seems very difficult to get it to power the screen on and stay on.

I'm attempting to return it now as it seems useless, I don't want to perform a song and dance to get it to power on. It defeats the purpose of being portable if it's a faff to actually use.

If I can't return then it's coming to bits and I'll see if this stupid behaviour can be hacked out!

cptdodgerm

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:47 pm

I have recently received my Pi2 and have successfully been using it on my lapdock100. As per instructions on other posts I had to modify the config.txt file and now with a boot sequence i can get the lapdock 100 screen displaying 100% of the time. It can take a bit of time getting used to but considering the lapdock is supposed to get the correct signals from a phone, i am prepared to put up with a slight bit of hassle to get it working.

The boot sequence is as follows:

Pre setup - Make sure the lapdock is fully charged and that you have both the HDMI and USB cables plug into the lapdocks connector and the lapdock screen is in the 'open' position. Nothing is plugged into the Pi2

1. Plug the HDMI connector into the Pi2, and pay attention to the 'power on' led on the lapdock. As you plug the connector into the Pi2, this led will quickly flash. (Lapdock is in a temporary power on state)

2. Once you have seen the power led quickly flash on the lapdock, remove the HDMI connector from the Pi2 but still pay close attention to the power led on the lapdock. After approx 30-40 seconds, this will flash again. This indicates that the lapdock has powered down.

3. Now plug in the HDMI connector again and you should see the screen on the lapdock activate. This where you need to be quick because as soon as you see the lapdock screen activate, you need to plug in the micro usb connector into the Pi2's power port. If you delay plugging in the Pi2's power connector, the lapdock thinks nothing is connected and will power off the LCD. If this happens, you need to start all over again from Pre-setup

4. If you have timed it correctly and plugged the Pi2's power connector in as soon as you saw the lapdock's screen activate, you will see the Pi2 booting into it's operating system. At this point while you see the Pi2 booting, plug in the other USB cable into the Pi2 so that the lapdocks keyboard and touchpad will function.

A couple of things to note. If at any time you power down the Pi2 and remove any of the cables, you must start from Pre-setup to be able to get the lapdock display to work properly. If you try to cut corners it just will not work. I've spent over 4hrs trying all sorts of different combinations in the hope the lapdock would quickly display again once i've powered down the Pi2 and removed it's cables but the only method that worked reliably and 100% was the method i've just described.

If you plan on leaving the Pi2 connected to the lapdock to return to it latter, just shutdown the Pi2 either by command line or via x windows, which ever one you happen to be in at the time BUT make sure you leave all the cables connected. Once you shutdown the Pi2 you will notice the LCD screen display goes off but the Pi2 is still powered on (Pi2 power led still on). Wait till the lapdock turns off it's power, you will know this by focusing on the lapdocks power on led. After approx 30-40 seconds of you telling the Pi2 to shutdown, the lapdock will power down. As soon as you see that led flash again to indicate the lapdock has powered down and provided you have not removed ANY cables from either the lapdock or Pi2, pressing the lapdocks power button will power on everything properly. You will notice the LCD activate and then the Pi2 booting instructions scrolling down the screen.

Like others I was frustrated at how long and cumbersome it took to try and get not only the Pi but also the Pi2 to reliably function with the lapdock 100 and now i can confidently say I have and i am pleased with the results. As long as I follow the procedure I've laid out, all i am basically doing is waiting 40 seconds each time for the lapdock to power down. That's a small inconvenience I am prepared to take :)

Rog

cjan

Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:22 am

sorry guys,
oldest 256M version Rpi did not match Openelec V4 & V5 on lapdock, keyboard & touchpad not work, anyone had V3 or older version link?

peter105

Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:16 am

I also use my raspberry to connect the moto lapdock!

Doc_152

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Just hooked up my newly purchased RPi 2 to my lapdock. Very pleased with it so far. Its even quick enough for basic use. My 11.6" Acer just got some competition.

Bruny

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:31 pm

I think this can serve as handy satellite finder 8-)

Krella Krentoshi

Sat May 23, 2015 11:48 pm

Quick question. I followed the wiring setup for the USB cables exactly as drawn. The pi gets power, but the keyboard and mouse won't work. I get several 'low power USB device' error messages on boot up. What did I do wrong? I have tried hooking up both a B+ and a RPi2B. Keyboard/mouse won't work with either. I have used the lapdock with a phone before the battery linked out on the phone, so I know the lapdock works just fine. Please help!

Lob0426

Sun May 24, 2015 1:49 am

Krella Krentoshi wrote:Quick question. I followed the wiring setup for the USB cables exactly as drawn. The pi gets power, but the keyboard and mouse won't work. I get several 'low power USB device' error messages on boot up. What did I do wrong? I have tried hooking up both a B+ and a RPi2B. Keyboard/mouse won't work with either. I have used the lapdock with a phone before the battery linked out on the phone, so I know the lapdock works just fine. Please help!
You may have reversed the data wires to the USB.

Red
From Female Micro B -------------------------------- Power to micro USB power connector of RasPi

White
From Female Micro B -------------------------------- Data + to USB A conn. to USB port

Green
From Female Micro B -------------------------------- Data - To USB A conn. to USB port

Black
From Female Micro B -------------------------------- Ground to Micro USB power connector of RasPi

There may be a second Black, or more common is the shielding being used as the second.
Or one of the wires pulled loose as you tried to wrap it all up.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Krella Krentoshi

Sun May 24, 2015 3:28 am

I thought a wire may have pulled loose too. Red and black is going to USB power plug. White and green is going to USB A port. A black wire from the USB A is connected with the other black wires, because when I didn't have it connected I had power fluctuations.

I took it all apart and resoldered everything. The power works just fine, yet I still can't get the keyboard/mouse to work. :-(

Lob0426

Sun May 24, 2015 5:51 am

Did you try reversing white and green?
Last edited by Lob0426 on Sun May 24, 2015 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krella Krentoshi

Sun May 24, 2015 5:52 am

Nooooo........?? Do u mean connect white to green and green to white? I will try that right now.

Krella Krentoshi

Sun May 24, 2015 6:05 am

ITS ALIVE!!!!! MWAHAHAHA!!! I could kiss you...thank you so much!! The boot code even says something about 'Motorola Lapdock', but it was going too fast for me to read it.

Again, THANK YOU!! :lol:

Lob0426

Sun May 24, 2015 6:12 am

I don't know why reversing them sometimes works. It is always worth trying!

I have a Pi2 on my Lapdock now. Works pretty well. Have not fixed the sound as yet, but that is usually simple to fix. I have an OctoPi image on it right now. But the base install is Raspbian.

Have fun playing with it!

Richard

Krella Krentoshi

Sun May 24, 2015 6:21 am

My WiFi dongle is actually working better now than it ever has.... I'm downloading the Pi Store app now. I can't wait till the next Ham club meeting, my little brother's science teacher has a Pi club after school, and came to talk to us about how amateur radio can be used with the Pi. Now that the Pi and lapdock are playing nice, I will be able to show another way the pi can be used, and it should make using the Digital modes a lot easier!! I will see what, if anything, I can do to help with the sound issue, I can't seem to be able to figure out how to load mp3s onto the card so lxmusic player can see the files. That will be my next project, before I tackle the amateur radio stuff :D I also want to see if I can turn it into a regular FM radio receiver.... :twisted:

Again, thanks so much!!

johnbeetem

Sun May 24, 2015 3:50 pm

Lob0426 wrote:I don't know why reversing them sometimes works. It is always worth trying!
A USB device's D+ and D- have pull-up and/or pull-down resistors to identify the device as low-speed, full-speed, or high-speed. If you reverse D+ and D- the USB host gets confused.

Lob0426

Sun May 24, 2015 4:40 pm

The simplest answer I have for reversing the wires is;

Some manufacturers do not bother to follow the established color code, or the wires get reversed during manufacture. The manufacturer does not care as long as the cable works in the end. They are not going to throw out cables that work just because the color code is wrong!

I actual do not care either as long as I can get it to work. ;)

I just know it has worked in the past. :lol:

Richard

Krella Krentoshi

Tue May 26, 2015 2:06 am

BTW, was a fix ever found for the keyboard switching the @ and " symbols? I have noticed a few more than that not being correct

Lob0426

Tue May 26, 2015 3:21 am

You need to go into raspi-config and set the keyboard up. Just use the standard keyboard, 105 key, and set it to your country. Also make sure Locales is setup also. You might as well do the time zone while you are in there!

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
at the command line or in a terminal window.

Do you have the symbols wrong on the Lapdock itself! I know there were some from foreign countries that had changed symbols.

Krella Krentoshi

Tue May 26, 2015 4:10 am

"Just use the standard keyboard, 105 key, and set it to your country. Also make sure Locales is setup also. You might as well do the time zone while you are in there!"

I think its listed as a generic keyboard. I saw several Motorola keyboards listed, but I'm not sure what this one is. As far as location and timezone, I do have all that right, thank goodness! :-) I will fiddle around with the keyboard more

Lob0426

Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 am

I just use the standard keyboard that is listed, but in U.S. English.

Return to “General discussion”