Loonhaunt
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:13 am

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:01 am

fanoush wrote:Yes, I mean the battery button. This is the button I press when the lapdock powered itself off and it simply boots when I press it. In no situation it powered itself off instantly for me. Once I press the button or attach the cables it turns on the screen and boots. Only when usb is not detected it turns itself off in approx 9 seconds after power on. Also once the raspberry pi detects the lapdock (and prints its mouse/keyboard/hub devices to console) the lapdock turns the screen brighthess up (to maximum?) so it definitely knows it got detected by the PI. The lapdock 100 is simply too clever. It needs to know its keyboard/mouse was detected by the usb host device (the PI) and disconnecting usb or hdmi even momentarily via software confuses it and it powers itself off in approx. 9 seconds once it happens.
I have tried this over again several times with two different lapdocks and it does not work with either one. The display will come on then shut off after 2- 3 seconds, then shuts off. Pressing he battery button again does nothing but cause the lapdock's to reboot the RPi where it boots only to have the monitor fail yet again. There must be something that I am not getting.

Dave

Warren
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:21 pm

I apologize if this question was already answered but, I want to know before I order one,

The question is, there are several different models does it matter which one?

Loonhaunt
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:13 am

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:31 pm

I pretty much gave up on the Lapdock 100 as means of using my Raspberry Pi. I am wondering for the last time, if updating the config.txt file by boosting the hdmi_boost would benefit the Lapdock. I believe that my Lapdocks are loosing the HDMI signal and are shutting off. I have done every thing that I have read on every other post available to avoid this issue to no avail at this point. Possibly also utilizing this in combination with hdmi_force_hotplug?

It cant hurt right?

If anyone has gained anything with this in using a Lapdock 100 please let me know.

Dave

Steve Drain
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Exeter UK

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm

Some while back I wrote about my Raspberry Pip, a minimalist approach to linking a Pi and a Lapdock. It took quite bit of work to fit, so I have had another go with a bit more room and more standard components. You can see some pictures of it at http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip3.htm.

JonB
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:43 am

Pip 2 looks really good! I might have a go at that.

However, I am having serious power problems with my Atrix Lapdock and early Model B. With the latest NOOBS (v1.3.4) it runs out of juice all the time. USB devices keep disconnecting and the Pi crashes. Is there anything I can do about it, other than powering the Pi independently (which would render the whole thing pointless)?

All I have plugged into it is the Lapdock, using the original style Y cable for data / power, and my polyfuses F1 and F2 are replaced with links. I had a micro wifi dongle plugged into one of the Lapdock's USB ports, but it kept disconnecting. Lapdock is fully charged.

I am going to reinstall Debian, this time without overclocking. I did try to remove the overclock settings from the config file, but it had no effect.

Does the Lapdock power the keyboard, trackpad and its own ports? Is it capable of providing enough power to the PI?

JonB
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:26 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:35 am

Update: I reinstalled NOOBS and discovered it is actually disconnecting USB devices during the configuration stage. I guess this runs with no overclocking / overvolting.

Brooks
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:22 am

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 am

Hello everyone. Noob here. I just got my Lapdock 100 and am experiencing similar issues as you guys. Although, I did figure out a way to get it to boot (although completely impractical). It's by leaving all the connections in and adding the mini USB power supply.

Now when you boot the computer, the little color screen flashes, the safe mode screen comes up, and then the screen goes black. However, the RPi is still running for a few seconds. After that, it powers down the RPi. However, if you have the secondary power input, it just keeps booting. Wait a few seconds until the little battery indicator will flash red once very quickly. Then turn it back on. Quickly log in and startup before it turns off again. The Pi will boot and run. At this point, it's safe to remove the secondary power supply and it will work like normal.

Even though this is completely impractical, it does help figure out the problem. For whatever reason, even though the lapdock clearly sees an HDMI signal when booting, it doesn't interpret it as a valid signal, and shuts down, as opposed to when it's booted and somehow gets a different signal.

I hope this helps you help me cuz I'm at a loss and about to just toss this lapdock...

samighi11
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:36 pm

I have ordered some of the new Raspi B+ models. I will post ASAP if the model works with the lapdock 4G models. I have been using them for about a year now and they are exceptions for Model A and Model B. Now lets see how Model B+ goes.

I should have them by Friday 7/18 and will post results by then if not sooner.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5881
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:46 pm

samighi11 wrote:I have ordered some of the new Raspi B+ models. I will post ASAP if the model works with the lapdock 4G models. I have been using them for about a year now and they are exceptions for Model A and Model B. Now lets see how Model B+ goes.

I should have them by Friday 7/18 and will post results by then if not sooner.
The lapdock works just fine as long as your cable does not rely on trying to backfeed the pi. Power must come in through the microusb slot.

samighi11
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
samighi11 wrote:I have ordered some of the new Raspi B+ models. I will post ASAP if the model works with the lapdock 4G models. I have been using them for about a year now and they are exceptions for Model A and Model B. Now lets see how Model B+ goes.

I should have them by Friday 7/18 and will post results by then if not sooner.
The lapdock works just fine as long as your cable does not rely on trying to backfeed the pi. Power must come in through the microusb slot.
Do you have one already and tested?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5881
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:03 pm

I don't own one, but I have access to them and yes, I have tested it.

riklaunim
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 pm

If you need more power on the RPI (like for USB) then you will have to power it separately with stronger power adapter. Model B on its own will work, but like B + Gertboard was underpowered when powered from Lapdock.

User avatar
MisterC
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:02 pm
Contact: Website

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:07 am

HI all,

Had the same problems with "No HDMI Input" and not powering up. I had it working yesterday, and then it became inoperable for unknown reasons. Only being a newbie, I wasn't keen to do any soldering after looking up a bunch of posts. I checked the micro-USB to USB-A cable by changing it, and voila! Sorted. Still looking into why, though. If anyone has an idea why that may have been the issue, any help would be hot.

Cheers,

MrC.

User avatar
MisterC
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:02 pm
Contact: Website

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 am

MisterC wrote:HI all,

Had the same problems with "No HDMI Input" and not powering up. I had it working yesterday, and then it became inoperable for unknown reasons. Only being a newbie, I wasn't keen to do any soldering after looking up a bunch of posts. I checked the micro-USB to USB-A cable by changing it, and voila! Sorted. Still looking into why, though. If anyone has an idea why that may have been the issue, any help would be hot.

Cheers,

MrC.
Found it. I was in a rush, and had forced one of the micro-USB female pins down and out. It was bridging between the pins and the shield. Ugh. So simple, and I had a proper heart attack about it!

User avatar
Lob0426
Posts: 2198
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm
Location: Susanville CA.
Contact: Website

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:58 pm

The Lapdock works fine with a B+.

I still was using the older style cable with separated power and USB ( and a power switch). It was a tight fit as the microUSB power and HDMI connectors are very close on the B+. I will be making a new cable that fits better, but the old one works for now.

Using a back feeding cable is out for the new board.

I updated and upgraded the SD card from the Lapdock then used Win32DiskImager to copy it. Then I transferred it to a Micro SD card. Booted first time and I had WiFi and all working. I did not have the Seagate GO HDD plugged in. When I plugged in the GO and booted I lost the keyboard and touchpad. Then I rebooted and did not have WiFi. The third time I rebooted everything worked. It has worked for the last several boots.

It acted like the hub on hub fight that we had with the Lapdocks earlier on. Could also be a power issue. But so far it seems to have worked itself out for now. I might try powering the HDD from the RasPi rather than the Lapdock USB if the problems come back.

Other than that the RasPi B+ sits kind of off sided on the Lapdock compared to to a B Model.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Chris1975
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:37 am

Hi. Does anyone else use MoC? Some of the keyboard controls aren't working for me. In particular the volume controls. Any help would be appreciated.

James75
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:29 pm

Hello all, I have read this post from start to finish (plus anything else I can find on there web) and I cannot find the ans to my problem. Pls help if you can.....

My problem is with the keyboard mapping / configuration for the Lapdock 100 model. I have read the info on page 26 of this post and I have my keyboard set up as suggested (but for a UK keyboard).

Now the funny thing is, when I first boot up and enter my login details (using latest Raspian Wheezy dist) the keys behave as they should in that initial terminal window, however as soon as I launch the GUI with startx, all goes to pot. I think it is then changing into a US keyboard as @ is entered by 'shift + 2' which is where it is on my MacBook instead of 2 keys to the left of 'L'.

Has anyone else had this issue or got the faintest idea on how to sort this strange behaviour ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have been working on getting the lapdock functional all week and this is the last hurdle that I have fallen at (although there have been many other hurdles too but have been able to resolve all other issues due to the excellent info on this and other websites!!).

My knowledge is pretty limited so please could any responses be newbie-friendly.

Many thanks

James.

James75
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:38 am

James75 wrote:Hello all, I have read this post from start to finish (plus anything else I can find on there web) and I cannot find the ans to my problem. Pls help if you can.....

My problem is with the keyboard mapping / configuration for the Lapdock 100 model. I have read the info on page 26 of this post and I have my keyboard set up as suggested (but for a UK keyboard).

Now the funny thing is, when I first boot up and enter my login details (using latest Raspian Wheezy dist) the keys behave as they should in that initial terminal window, however as soon as I launch the GUI with startx, all goes to pot. I think it is then changing into a US keyboard as @ is entered by 'shift + 2' which is where it is on my MacBook instead of 2 keys to the left of 'L'.

Has anyone else had this issue or got the faintest idea on how to sort this strange behaviour ? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have been working on getting the lapdock functional all week and this is the last hurdle that I have fallen at (although there have been many other hurdles too but have been able to resolve all other issues due to the excellent info on this and other websites!!).

My knowledge is pretty limited so please could any responses be newbie-friendly.

Many thanks

James.
Hi all,

panic over !! I have found the answer. This was in the 'changing keyboard language in lxde' post:

Report this postReply with quotePermalink
by Lirex » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:56 am
You can in user's home, the user create a file .xsessionrc


best in terminal

nano .xsessionrc --> Enter

setxkbmap de (override with your language)

Ctrl + o --> Enter

Ctrl + x

Logout - Login

now u have automatically your desired keyboard layout.

Lirex


Reading other posts I think my problem might have something to do with the fact that I have set up a static IP address. Either way it works a treat now!

James.

Steve Drain
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Exeter UK

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:20 pm

[quote="Lob0426"]Using a back feeding cable is out for the new board. [B+]

But not for the A+.

This new board is the holy grail as far as I am concerned. My previous minimalised Raspberry Pips have all required a lot of fiddling and some compromise, but I can fit an A+ and all the extras in a cheap case easily:

Image

More details at:

http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip4.htm

samighi11
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Steve Drain wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:Using a back feeding cable is out for the new board. [B+]

But not for the A+.

This new board is the holy grail as far as I am concerned. My previous minimalised Raspberry
Pips have all required a lot of fiddling and some compromise, but I can fit an A+ and all the extras in a cheap case easily:

Image



More details at:

http://kappa.me.uk/raspberry_pip4.htm
Wow. This is amazing. Can you do a step by step built and parts how to? Lapdocks are hard to come by these days, but w A+ I want to built some for our school (hate to admit, but for minecraft and python coding).

I like the reset and power switches. And love the capacitor to avoid cover closure issues.

With the b+ I have been able to reduce cable lengths since the ports are near each other, but would love to have a plug in board.

Thanks for sharing. Impressive use of A+

User avatar
Lob0426
Posts: 2198
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm
Location: Susanville CA.
Contact: Website

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:28 pm

The newly released A+ does back-power.

The Lapdock has an internal 4 port powered USB powered hub. The keyboard and the touchpad are internally connected. There are two external connectors. These are both high power USB ports.

I have had no trouble using either to power a USB HDD or a WiFi dongle. The Lapdock will run about 2 to 3 hours with a B model so should run up to 4 hours with an A+. Those figures are with an HDD with the OS attached and the WiFi. Without the HDD it should add a couple more hours.

The A+ size should really make it work well with the Lapdock.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

User avatar
Lob0426
Posts: 2198
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:30 pm
Location: Susanville CA.
Contact: Website

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:21 am

Just received an A+ that my brother bought for me. Connected it to the Lapdock, installed from NOOBS, used WPA GUI to connect by WiFi. Works very well. I need to make a new cable to use the A+ as a back-powered device.

Running update && upgrade on it now!

Much more compact than the B, A or B+. Now if they would offer it in 512MB one of these days.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Bill_A
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:21 am

I bought one off ebay 61.95 with shipping but it has a cable with 2 male plugs. one micro usb power and the other with micro hdmi. Its a lapdock 500 motorola. I skinned back the wire to see how its wired up and its not as simple as yours. I am hunting adapters female to female both hdmi micro and usb micro before I try cutting and soldering.

If I were to take pictures of the wiring do you think you could give me some help or advise on how to wire it if I cant find the adapters.

Bill.

LapdockLuv
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:50 pm

Bill,

Contact nosofer AT googlemail.com. He has made a USB splitter cable and also has access to an HDMI cable which I purchased to use RPi with my Motorola 100 Lapdock. I believe these will work with the 500 as well.

Bill_A
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Thank you. I will email them.
LapdockLuv wrote:Bill,

Contact nosofer AT googlemail.com. He has made a USB splitter cable and also has access to an HDMI cable which I purchased to use RPi with my Motorola 100 Lapdock. I believe these will work with the 500 as well.

Return to “General discussion”