johnbeetem

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:45 pm

jasona99 wrote:Boosting the HDMI signal to setting 4 did nothing. I even pushed the connections in very hard before attempting a test.
Out of curiosity, I plugged my actual laptop into the Lapdock. The Lapdock started as soon as I plugged in my laptop, but then died, again. Now I am in the process of rebooting my PC, due to it not switching screens back to normal. :x
Is it possible the Lapdock is broken? I can get a replacement if that's the case.
It might be broken. You might try searching for "Lapdock 100" in the Google search box on the raspberrypi.org front page. I believe I've seen discussions where people have reported getting a Lapdock 100 to work. If you don't find anything there, I'd suspect a bad Lapdock. Perhaps the circuits used to tell if the Lapdock is open or closed is acting up. On the Atrix Lapdock, it detects magnets with Hall-effect devices. You don't have any stray magnets around by any chance? :)

jasona99

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:49 am

I do have some magnets, but I think I will just try returning it, that way I will have a properly working device. I will update if anything happens (e.g. a new Lapdock 100 works).

ActionHank

Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:21 pm

Did anyone manage to successfully set the resolution to 1366x768? Mine defaults to 1280x720 and various variations in config.txt didn't help the matter. Any tips?

johnbeetem

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:06 pm

ActionHank wrote:Did anyone manage to successfully set the resolution to 1366x768? Mine defaults to 1280x720 and various variations in config.txt didn't help the matter. Any tips?
My Atrix Lapdock came up automatically in 1366x768 mode on an early RasPi Model B running Debian "Squeeze". The only thing I needed to do in config.txt was to set "disable_overscan=1" so that RasPi would use the whole screen.

There are a number of comments on config.txt for the Lapdock upstream, starting at: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=352

As always with config.txt, be sure you don't start lines with "#" since that comments them out, and enter options exactly, i.e., lower case with no spaces around '='. Also, make sure config.txt did indeed get edited properly by doing "more /boot/config.txt" to see what's in it. You might want to show us the exact contents of your config.txt -- maybe someone can see if there's something wrong.

Hope this helps.

hackaroto

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 pm

jasona99 wrote:I am trying to make a Raspberry Pi Laptop as well, but I have a small problem: the screen keeps going blank about 5 seconds after plugging it in. :x
My setup is:
Motorola Lapdock 100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PD ... UTF8&psc=1
Hello jasona99, Just to let you know I also used the "Lapdock 100" For Droid Razr and I was having the exact same problem as you...

plug HDMI, screen turns on, 5 sec later, screen shuts down but pi is powered, then dies.

what was happening to me was that it seems that with all my tests I broke my USB ports :(. I tested with a different RPi and it's working now.

How to check if this is your problem:

edit your config.txt and add these lines to force hdmi output:

Code: Select all

hdmi_safe=0
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=47
hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_boost=4
1. plug the RPi to a power source,
2. immediately plug the HDMI cable from RPi to the lapdock - may have to wait, if done continuously it does not work, sometimes I had to wait for about 15 mins for it to respond.
3. immediately plug the USB port from lapdock to PC (yes, PC, not RPi).

I could see the image of the RPi on the lapdock and control my PC with lapdock's mouse/keyboard, the screen did not shut down since the USB was connected to the PC.

So in my case I had a faulty USB and USB is necesary for the lapdock to keep the screen active.

tekgiant

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:33 pm

I'd normally not consider this the best place to ask this, but it's pretty much my last resort since I can't get a response from anyone in any G+ communities or the q&a forum where I posted the question.

Below is the link to my issue. I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/347343/c ... s-raspbian

rsperson

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:47 pm

I am working on the same project. I am using a Motorola Atrix 4G lapdock. There is a detail to work around the connection issue.

http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... ork-around

My version is going 1 step further for connections - If my cable is built correctly then I am 90% done - if not, then I will need to add the switch like the above work around. I will use a micro HDMI adapter with some trimming, a micro USB female to USB-A female extension (5 inch) and a USB-A Male to USB-A male adapter. I will glue the USB Female and HDMI female together - side by side and connect like the phones did. The trimming got down to the wires but didn't remove the insulation. The first cable was for proof of concept - I will trim my real one and keep this one for a spare.

My plan after I make sure this works - is to epoxy the 2 connectors together - will make it a little stronger and add back some strain relief that I trimmed off.

Sorry if the pictures are a little fuzzy - I took them with my phone.

Shows both connectors - trimmed and untrimmed

Shows the Pi connected much like the phones connected

Shows the HDMI adapter with trimming on 1 side

jasona99

Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:48 am

hackaroto wrote: 1. plug the RPi to a power source,
2. immediately plug the HDMI cable from RPi to the lapdock - may have to wait, if done continuously it does not work, sometimes I had to wait for about 15 mins for it to respond.
3. immediately plug the USB port from lapdock to PC (yes, PC, not RPi).
Thanks! I tried this with the new Lapdock 100 I bought and this was the only way to make it stay on. I do not have a second Pi at my disposal right now, so I need opinions: would splicing the USB cable in the way that was originally suggested fix the problem, or not?

procount

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Does anyone know how to open the case of a Lapdock 100 without snapping it?
I finally got all my cables to connect it to my Model B rev2 Pi (2 x micro m/f USB & HDMI cables plus 2 micro f to fullsize USB/HDMI adaptors, so I backfeed through the USB port and avoid splicing cables).
After connecting it together & opening the lapdock lid I wait until the lapdock turns off, then turn it on again. This way the lapdock detects the HDMi and USB connections and stays on. Seems to work fine except in one respect:
When I use NOOBS v1.3 it gets to the OS selection screen ok, but when it does it's 2nd reboot to run the slected OS, I'm guessing the HDMI resets momentarily, so the lapdock screen turns off and some seconds later, the USB turns the power off to the Pi.
So I want to mod the internal HDMI connector to ground the CEC pin (as mentioned elsewhere) so the lapdock believes the Pi is always connected.
I've removed the 4 screws in the base, and I believe the base should now just unclip off, but it seems very tight and I don't want to snap it.
Anyone had any success getting into the internals of the Lapdock 100? Are there any more hiddne screws or does it just need brute force?
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

samighi11

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 pm

procount wrote:Does anyone know how to open the case of a Lapdock 100 without snapping it?
I finally got all my cables to connect it to my Model B rev2 Pi (2 x micro m/f USB & HDMI cables plus 2 micro f to fullsize USB/HDMI adaptors, so I backfeed through the USB port and avoid splicing cables).
After connecting it together & opening the lapdock lid I wait until the lapdock turns off, then turn it on again. This way the lapdock detects the HDMi and USB connections and stays on. Seems to work fine except in one respect:
When I use NOOBS v1.3 it gets to the OS selection screen ok, but when it does it's 2nd reboot to run the slected OS, I'm guessing the HDMI resets momentarily, so the lapdock screen turns off and some seconds later, the USB turns the power off to the Pi.
So I want to mod the internal HDMI connector to ground the CEC pin (as mentioned elsewhere) so the lapdock believes the Pi is always connected.
I've removed the 4 screws in the base, and I believe the base should now just unclip off, but it seems very tight and I don't want to snap it.
Anyone had any success getting into the internals of the Lapdock 100? Are there any more hiddne screws or does it just need brute force?
I have not dealt with the 100, but I will test this on the Atrix model when I get back. I would make a simple suggestion. For the duration of the initial build, power the Rapsi with another source. that way Raspi won't crash. I have tried this with the Atrix for a training class. this way, Atrix lapdock is a glorified HDMI display. I hope that helps you thru the initial install.

procount

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:59 pm

>>For the duration of the initial build, power the Rapsi with another source. that way Raspi won't crash

Unfortunately this does not work. As soon as the Pi reboots, the HDMI screen goes off and will not come back on again. It does prevent the Pi from turning off when the Lapdock turns the USB off, but it doesn't help if you want to see the HDMI screen.

Actually, I think it is the temporary loss of the USB connection that causes the screen to turn off. when it's all working, removing the HDMI cable and reinserrting it still keeps the screen on. Whereas removing the USB cable and reinserting it causes the screen to go blank immediately. I wonder how the lapdock knows the USB is disconnected... current flow or a data connection...?
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

samighi11

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:07 pm

procount wrote:>>For the duration of the initial build, power the Rapsi with another source. that way Raspi won't crash

Unfortunately this does not work. As soon as the Pi reboots, the HDMI screen goes off and will not come back on again. It does prevent the Pi from turning off when the Lapdock turns the USB off, but it doesn't help if you want to see the HDMI screen.

Actually, I think it is the temporary loss of the USB connection that causes the screen to turn off. when it's all working, removing the HDMI cable and reinserrting it still keeps the screen on. Whereas removing the USB cable and reinserting it causes the screen to go blank immediately. I wonder how the lapdock knows the USB is disconnected... current flow or a data connection...?
I will test NOOBS software when I get back next week on the Atrix version.

johnbeetem

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:45 pm

procount wrote:Does anyone know how to open the case of a Lapdock 100 without snapping it?

Anyone had any success getting into the internals of the Lapdock 100? Are there any more hidden screws or does it just need brute force?
I don't know if the Lapdock 100 is different from the Atrix Lapdock, but here I describe how to open the latter: Opening the Atrix Lapdock. There are screws hidden under the rubber feet, which peel back with a small slotted screwdriver.

Regarding the DDC/CEC ground wire, it should always be shorted to the other grounds if your Lapdock is plugged into RasPi whether RasPi is on or off. The only time this wouldn't be the case is if your HDMI cable omits the DDC/CEC ground wire, in which case an Atrix Lapdock doesn't come on at all.

procount

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks, I think the Lapdock 100 is quite different, but I think the HDMI issue is a red herring anyway. Since my screen does come on, the CEC line must be being grounded properly with my cables, as you mention.

I have found that I can get it to boot an OS through NOOBS v1.3, but an external PSU is required.
Here is my procedure:.
1. Enure lapdock is not powered by mains adaptor and is charged sufficiently.
2. Connect HDMI to Pi.
3. Connect USB to Pi. I have a model B rev 2 so the USB will power the Pi directly. The PI will power on, but not the screen at this point. After 5-10 secs, the lapdock will power off.
4. Now it is fully off, with the lid open, pressing the battery button will start the Pi again with the screen on this time.
5. Noobs boots to the OS selection screen. Now attach an external PSU to the PI through its micro USB socket to ride through the loss of power in the next steps.
6. Select an OS. The Pi will now reboot. Loss of the USB connection will turn the HDMI screen off.
7. Disconnect the USB lead from the lapdock to the Pi. Wait 20 secs or so for the Lapdock to turn off the USB power (The battery switch LED appears to flash when the power is turned off).
8. Reconnect the USB lead from the Lapdock to the Pi.
9. If the screen comes on, great. If not, press the battery button.
10. The screen should come on and display the selected OS.
11. Now you can remove the external PSU to the Pi.

Mortimer

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:12 pm

I concur with this. This was my experience with NOOBS 1.3 and Atrix Lapdock 4G: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 50#p431501
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Syliss

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:36 pm

I have the Atrix lapdock that ive used with my pi. I have used both noobs 1.2 and 1.3 without any issues with powering off the device on install. But i do have my power and data cable spliced (y cable with only power to micro), going from the micro usb connector on the lapdock to both the microusb and usb on the pi. I personally don't look having the pi running off power from the normal usb port or feed back thru usb as i have a rev 1 board.

freebirds

Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:41 pm

procount wrote:
"I finally got all my cables to connect it to my Model B rev2 Pi (2 x micro m/f USB & HDMI cables plus 2 micro f to fullsize USB/HDMI adaptors,"
"3. Connect USB to Pi. I have a model B rev 2 so the USB will power the Pi directly. The PI will power on, but not the screen at this point. After 5-10 secs, the lapdock will power off."

Procount and other members, could you please be specific when describing cables and ports. Did you connect a male A USB or a male micro USB to the PI's female A USB port or female micro USB port? Did you also connect a power adapter to the pi?

Mortimer

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 pm

This is how I run mine...

Works fine even with a GertBoard attached.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

samighi11

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:19 am

Mortimer wrote:This is how I run mine...

Works fine even with a GertBoard attached.
Where did you get the micro hdmi extender? I can't find any.

Also, are you back feeding the power? And it works that with the current draw? Interesting. My cables are all split micro and usb

Let us know the exact details.

Ninjafishleg

Power via USB

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:37 pm

It is posible to have the pi powered via the usb slot from a usb hub.

Just wanted to throw that out there...

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:40 pm

Yes. That is what is refered to as 'back feed power' above.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

fanoush

lapdock 100 - brightness control?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi. I have both Atrix Lapdock and Lapdock 100. They indeed behave differently in many aspects. One seems to be the brightness control.

On Atrix lapdock brightness control is builtin and work just fine without the pi noticing anything at all (unlike sound volume control keys which send key codes and must be handled by pi in software).

With Lapdock 100 the brightness control doesn't work for me at all. And sadly the keys do not sent any key codes to the pi so I am not sure how this is supposed to work. However when the pi boots once it detects lapdock's usb keyboard/mouse the brightness is automatically set to maximum! So it looks like maybe it can be software controlled?

Anyone with lapdock 100 can verify how brightness control works for him?
Anyone with lapdock 100 and compatible phone can verify if the brightness is software controlled (i.e. you can change it via android controls from the phone)?

freebirds

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:12 pm

hackaroto wrote: "Edit your config file."

Could you please specify the entire path of the config file? Where is it in the filesystem?

Where in the config file do I copy and paste your script? At the beginning of the config file or the end?

This raspberry pi forum is not newbie friendly nor student friendly. I should not have to ask simple questions for clarification.

freebirds

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Are members advising to write a script in the config file and open the lapdock to short a wire? Or do one or the other? If the latter, which is the better option?

freebirds

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:35 pm

To add to my above questions, does this apply to both the atrix lapdock and lapdock 100?

Return to “General discussion”