malakai

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:51 am

Not sure if anyone would gather them all up all the cables I ordered 2 on ebay same seller in china no shipping cost $8 for the female to female adapters the Y-cable I can only find on Amazon the regular hdmi to hdmi mini I am hoping to find locally it is a hassle maybe contact farnell or the other adafruit I think is UK and ask if they can distribute them.

The wait for the parts from China is going to kill me but they are so cheap I couldn't pass it up. The other thought is with limitations on supply of the Laptop Dock not sure if anyone wants to start buying a lot of these as they could end up with a ton that don't sale
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

davidkennedy85

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:01 am

I made a list of some "easy" ways to hook up your Pi to your Lapdock:

https://daveden.wordpress.com/2012/09/2 ... sberry-pi/

Hopefully it helps somebody out :)

me_at_home

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:44 pm

An extra option for the mini HDMI female to standard HDMI male: http://www.lindy.co.uk/0-5m-high-speed- ... 41350.html
:geek:

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:17 am

me_at_home wrote:An extra option for the mini HDMI female to standard HDMI male: http://www.lindy.co.uk/0-5m-high-speed- ... 41350.html
:geek:
Just to make sure no one is confused, the Atrix lapdock has male micro-HDMI and micro-USB connectors in the dock cradle, not "mini" connectors, which are a different size. Make sure that you order cables/adapters with female micro-HDMI and micro-USB connectors, not mini-HDMI or mini-USB.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Jimakos

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:23 am

Does anyone know where to find this lapdock at low price? There was a nice deal by AT&T but everything seems to be expired :cry:

johnbeetem

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:06 am

On 29 July 2012, AndrewS wrote:When I plug my RPi (via a shaved-down micro-HDMI female -> regular HDMI male adaptor) into the Lapdock's micro-HDMI connector, the white LED (and screen) turn on before plugging in power to the RPi.

But when using the same micro-HDMI female -> regular HDMI male adaptor connected to a HDMI female -> female adaptor connected to a regular HDMI male -> male cable (phew!) the white LED and screen don't turn on, even after powering up the RPi, and even with hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and config_hdmi_boost=4 set in config.txt
And the same adaptor->adaptor->cable combination doesn't turn on the lapdock screen when plugged into my laptop either - one of the cables or adaptors obviously isn't passing one of the signals through correctly... :?
Although the same female->female adaptor and two HDMI male->male cables do work when connecting my laptop to my HDTV!
I recently acquired a Lapdock and I'm trying to get it to work. It may be defective or more likely there's a problem with my HDMI cable and/or adapter. Rather than trying one cable/adapter pair after another to see if anything works, I've been checking the Lapdock hardware itself.

I'm not certain yet, but I think that Lapdock uses the HDMI DDC/CEC ground pin (pin 17 on type A connector, pin 16 on type D micro connector) to detect that an HDMI cable is plugged in. This is fine if you're plugging in an Atrix phone, but many cheap HDMI cables do not implement the individual ground wires and just use foil shielding and the connector shell to provide ground. This works fine in most HDMI applications -- including RasPi, obviously -- but if I'm right such a cable won't work with Lapdock.

johnbeetem

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:40 am

johnbeetem wrote:I recently acquired a Lapdock and I'm trying to get it to work. It may be defective or more likely there's a problem with my HDMI cable and/or adapter. Rather than trying one cable/adapter pair after another to see if anything works, I've been checking the Lapdock hardware itself.

I'm not certain yet, but I think that Lapdock uses the HDMI DDC/CEC ground pin (pin 17 on type A connector, pin 16 on type D micro connector) to detect that an HDMI cable is plugged in. This is fine if you're plugging in an Atrix phone, but many cheap HDMI cables do not implement the individual ground wires and just use foil shielding and the connector shell to provide ground. This works fine in most HDMI applications -- including RasPi, obviously -- but if I'm right such a cable won't work with Lapdock.
Yep, my Lapdock definitely uses HDMI DDC/CEC ground to detect that an HDMI device is connected, and my HDMI cable does not implement the individual ground lines. Rather than trying to get a cable that works -- a slow, frustrating process -- I put a tiny solder bridge on a tiny connector in Lapdock so now it thinks there's always an HDMI cable connected. Now Lapdock works great with RasPi :D

I'm going to write a 'blog post about this at element14. I'll report here when it's up.

davidkennedy85

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:39 pm

johnbeetem wrote: Yep, my Lapdock definitely uses HDMI DDC/CEC ground to detect that an HDMI device is connected, and my HDMI cable does not implement the individual ground lines. Rather than trying to get a cable that works -- a slow, frustrating process -- I put a tiny solder bridge on a tiny connector in Lapdock so now it thinks there's always an HDMI cable connected. Now Lapdock works great with RasPi :D

I'm going to write a 'blog post about this at element14. I'll report here when it's up.
I'd love to see this. To be honest, I'm pretty clueless about electronics. How did you figure out that the Lapdock uses DDC/CEC ground and what does that even mean? Thanks!

johnbeetem

Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:15 am

davidkennedy85 wrote:
johnbeetem wrote: Yep, my Lapdock definitely uses HDMI DDC/CEC ground to detect that an HDMI device is connected, and my HDMI cable does not implement the individual ground lines. Rather than trying to get a cable that works -- a slow, frustrating process -- I put a tiny solder bridge on a tiny connector in Lapdock so now it thinks there's always an HDMI cable connected. Now Lapdock works great with RasPi :D

I'd love to see this. To be honest, I'm pretty clueless about electronics. How did you figure out that the Lapdock uses DDC/CEC ground and what does that even mean? Thanks!
Here's my 'blog entry: http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... ork-around

It covers the detective work and exploration in quite a bit of detail, including the WTF moment and serendipity. This RasPi forum thread was indispensable for setting me in the right direction, especially contributions by veryevil, Nick S, Lob0426, and godFather89. Thank you all, and thanks to those I neglected to mention by name.

johnbeetem

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:46 pm

edd247 wrote:
konduit wrote:So I got all the parts, charged the Lapdock batteries until indicator stopped blinking, and tried to hook this up, but cannot seem to get the Lapdock screen to light up.

Any tips for troubleshooting the Lapdock would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue and I got the lapdock to turn on when I used a different HDMI cable
Sounds exactly like the problem I had. If the HDMI cable does not have individual ground lines (specifically the DDC/CEC ground) it won't work with a standard Lapdock. See my post above for details.

selectnone

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:54 am

johnbeetem wrote:
davidkennedy85 wrote:

Here's my 'blog entry: http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... ork-around

It covers the detective work and exploration in quite a bit of detail, including the WTF moment and serendipity. This RasPi forum thread was indispensable for setting me in the right direction, especially contributions by veryevil, Nick S, Lob0426, and godFather89. Thank you all, and thanks to those I neglected to mention by name.
Very interesting, I look forward to seeing if you manage to find a way to add a full-off switch, I may actually mod my dock if that's possible.

While you're digging, maybe see if there's a reasonable method for disabling the power-dip on closing the screen? (The Pi gets power with the lid open/closed, but briefly turns off when you go from one to the other)

malakai

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 am

Here's a video of a guy tearing it apart and putting it back together not completely clear but oh well

My plan once all my cables arrive dang snail mail is to power the Pi not from the dock. Also the documentation says the HDMI turns off when lid is closed but keeps charging the phone don't have the phone not sure if it see's the power drop when this happens.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/05/moto ... part-hack/
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

King

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:54 pm

selectnone wrote:
...multiple nested quotes...
Very interesting, I look forward to seeing if you manage to find a way to add a full-off switch, I may actually mod my dock if that's possible.

While you're digging, maybe see if there's a reasonable method for disabling the power-dip on closing the screen? (The Pi gets power with the lid open/closed, but briefly turns off when you go from one to the other)
Check out these posts on page 12 for info on the lid. I tried shorting the sensor but couldn't get it to work and didn't like how the bezel warped when trying to remove the magnet.

selectnone

Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:57 pm

King wrote:
selectnone wrote:
...multiple nested quotes...

Check out these posts on page 12 for info on the lid. I tried shorting the sensor but couldn't get it to work and didn't like how the bezel warped when trying to remove the magnet.
I'd quite like to keep the screen-deactivation functionality, so it doesn't drain the battery when on/closed, so I'd be looking more for something to get rid of just that power-dip in-between.

I guess a big capacitor ought to do the trick? My knowledge of capacitors is kinda fuzzy, no idea how big/small I ought to go... time to experiment!

johnbeetem

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:57 pm

selectnone wrote:I guess a big capacitor ought to do the trick? My knowledge of capacitors is kinda fuzzy, no idea how big/small I ought to go... time to experiment!
Supercaps to the rescue! You might be interested in this 'blog post at element14: http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... ock-tricks

davidkennedy85

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

johnbeetem wrote:Here's my 'blog entry: http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... ork-around
Great blog! Thanks for going into detail about all that. I noticed in Drew's article that the revision 2.0 boards don't require you to cut the 5v wire going to the Pi's USB port. I ordered my Pi about a week before revision 2.0 and am really kicking myself for it. Any chance I could replace those resetable fuses protecting the USB outputs with links myself? Maybe add the 0-ohm resistors via modding/soldering? Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about :)

johnbeetem

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:42 am

davidkennedy85 wrote:Great blog! Thanks for going into detail about all that. I noticed in Drew's article that the revision 2.0 boards don't require you to cut the 5v wire going to the Pi's USB port. I ordered my Pi about a week before revision 2.0 and am really kicking myself for it. Any chance I could replace those resetable fuses protecting the USB outputs with links myself? Maybe add the 0-ohm resistors via modding/soldering? Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about :)
Thank you for the compliment! FYI, the modified rev 1.0 board with 0 Ohm resistors in place of polyfuses F1 and F2 will give you the same effect as a rev 2.0 board where F1 and F2 are missing entirely. Actually, it's nice to have F1 and F2 in the layout, since that's a good place to add a USB +5V switch so you can be sure RasPi is off when opening and closing Lapdock. I don't know if this is practical with a rev 2.0 board.

For my rev 0.0 board I replaced F1 and F2 with 1A non-resettable fuses to get lower resistance with some protection. Any board modifications void warranty, so be careful.

Lob0426

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:32 am

johnbeetem wrote:
davidkennedy85 wrote:Great blog! Thanks for going into detail about all that. I noticed in Drew's article that the revision 2.0 boards don't require you to cut the 5v wire going to the Pi's USB port. I ordered my Pi about a week before revision 2.0 and am really kicking myself for it. Any chance I could replace those resetable fuses protecting the USB outputs with links myself? Maybe add the 0-ohm resistors via modding/soldering? Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about :)
Thank you for the compliment! FYI, the modified rev 1.0 board with 0 Ohm resistors in place of polyfuses F1 and F2 will give you the same effect as a rev 2.0 board where F1 and F2 are missing entirely. Actually, it's nice to have F1 and F2 in the layout, since that's a good place to add a USB +5V switch so you can be sure RasPi is off when opening and closing Lapdock. I don't know if this is practical with a rev 2.0 board.

For my rev 0.0 board I replaced F1 and F2 with 1A non-resettable fuses to get lower resistance with some protection. Any board modifications void warranty, so be careful.
You can solder a piece of wire over the top. That will bypass the fuses. Or you can remove the fuses and solder a piece of wire back in.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

davidkennedy85

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:31 pm

johnbeetem wrote:FYI, the modified rev 1.0 board with 0 Ohm resistors in place of polyfuses F1 and F2 will give you the same effect as a rev 2.0 board where F1 and F2 are missing entirely.
I read this part of Drew's post but guess it didn't really register:
"Fresher" Pi's now have either 0-ohm resistors on F1/F2 (Model B Revision 1.0 + ECN0001) or no F1/F2 pads at all (Model B Revision 2.0).
When I looked again, I realized my Pi has those 0-ohm resistors too :D

davidkennedy85

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm

I'm thinking about buying a bunch of those micro HDMI female to HDMI male adapters and reselling them in the US. They're such a pain to get... I figure people would be willing to pay a few extra bucks to get them in this century.

Would anyone be interested?

malakai

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Well mine after 14 days just hit my local post office not sure if I'll get it today or not I had the same idea but if you beat me to it I'm in. I have acquired 2 more docks since I ordered so I need at least 2 of each I am in no hurry but I bet either way they would sell.

I still don't know that the docks will even work as I can't test them without the adapters what a pain :x

malakai

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 am

Ok so it seem this cable does not provide data haven't fully tested but when plugged into the laptop dock the keyboard does not work. I have a male to male adapter not split into a y and it does give keyboard and mouse so this must be just a data cable.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB2 ... B0047AALW6

So sad it looks no nice and tidy need a 9v battery to verify with my usb cable tester but 3 laptop docks tried and the cable would not give anything but power to the pi :(

malakai

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 am

Odd thing I can't get penguinspuzzle to work when docked?

It runs but no keys work only CTRL+C to force out I see the keystrokes when I hit the prompt but it doesn't respond in game anyone else have this problem can you test have tried different memory splits update can't figure it out.

selectnone

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:49 am

malakai wrote:Ok so it seem this cable does not provide data haven't fully tested but when plugged into the laptop dock the keyboard does not work. I have a male to male adapter not split into a y and it does give keyboard and mouse so this must be just a data cable.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB2 ... B0047AALW6

So sad it looks no nice and tidy need a 9v battery to verify with my usb cable tester but 3 laptop docks tried and the cable would not give anything but power to the pi :(
How are you connecting that y-cable? Where are you adding adapters?

I would assume that the red usb-plug only contains the power-leads, so should go to the pi's power-socket, via a micro-usb adapter - the other plugs would transfer data

malakai

Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 am

Right now on ver.1 board rev 003. I am just backfeeding the power through usb port. But have tried every combination possible even feeding original power through adapter. Everything works just that game for some reason won't respond to keys I can't find anything else that is non responsive to touch pad and keyboard I am just bugged why that game has issues with it and wonder if eventually I won't find something else that does the same thing.

Return to “General discussion”