chipmonger

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Postby chipmonger » Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 am

Neat trick I learned today while trying to get wireless going - when using the lapdock with a wireless dongle, if you plug the dongle into one of the two USB ports on the back right of the lapdock, it can be seen by the pi! I'm hoping this means the lapdock acts like a powered USB hub, and won't cause problems with the dongle taking too much power from the pi.

Still working on getting wireless to work properly, but am able to see access points.
JonB

Postby JonB » Thu May 31, 2012 8:09 am

@chipmonger: Yes, I believe it acts like a powered hub (powered from the lap dock, not the Pi). I'm thinking of one of those micro wifi adapters would be a perfect addition... if there is one with the right drivers..

@Lob0426 : apart from the comments made in the thread you linked to about twisted pair / shielding, there is the problem of the amount of force you'd need to exert to connect / disconnect that block connector. Every time I have tried to remove one from a PC motherboard, it has been stiff as hell (yes, even after disengaging the clip) - they aren't really designed to be plugged / unplugged constantly. Nice idea though!
Lob0426

Postby Lob0426 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:10 am

The DB25 is just a test connector really for interference. I am still looking for a decent connector. The centronics style would work great but they are pretty expensive. You probably could use a male/female pin header setup. If you built the setup into a cased design it would pull on the case rather than the board. Looks like I might get a Pi soon, Newark is asking for updated card info. My card date expired a month ago so have to give them the new date and security number. Otherwise it would have shipped today. Don't know why it expired it has only been three months since I ordered. lol. Oh well will call them tomorrow and see if I can get it on its way. Wish me luck.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!
JonB

Postby JonB » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:49 am

Ah Lob0426, I see.

Maybe an edge connector? Like a ZX-Spectrum? Oh... maybe not! ;)
chipmonger

Postby chipmonger » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:39 pm

JonB wrote:Ah Lob0426, I see.

Maybe an edge connector? Like a ZX-Spectrum? Oh... maybe not! ;)

Clive said to just use a little Blu Tack.
Lob0426

Postby Lob0426 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:10 am

Called Newark and updated card details today.
I got an email saying it has been shipped $35 + $5 for shipping UPS.
I might actually get to join the Pi owners by next week.

tech_monkey

Postby tech_monkey » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:52 am

Seems Oyyy.co.uk have sold out of lapdock for the moment.
Oh and with the correct adapters I reckon you could use a USB Y cable. But first need to wait for my PI only 12 days left. And then wait for the lapdock, which might take longer.
One thought using this method, I would be injecting 5V into the USB socket on the PI.
http://www.casatech.eu
Montala

Postby Montala » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:30 am

It is still available on Amazon for £69.99, which is admittedly a higher price, but is a way to get one for those who are still interested in going down that route.
tech_monkey

Postby tech_monkey » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:16 pm

http://www.casatech.eu
AndrewS

Postby AndrewS » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:15 pm

chipmonger wrote:
AndrewS wrote:I'm just hoping that http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Micro-HDM ... 007D1T9RO/ fits okay...

You might just have to shave down the end of the adapters that plug into the lapdock due to the curve where the male connectors are. I did this for my micro USB adapter end, and will most likely do it for the replacement micro hdmi adapter.

My micro-HDMI -> HDMI adaptor turned up yesterday. From the pictures I'd seen online, I assumed it'd be the "width" of the adaptor that'd be the problem, but it was actually the "depth" of the adaptor that causes problems. As chipmonger said I had to scrape away the rubbery-plastic (using a penknife) from the adaptor to fit the "curve" of the docking port, in order that the adaptor pushes down far enough onto the microHDMI plug to make a proper connection. But it works fine now. :D
Still waiting for my micro-USB adaptor to turn up, so some 'width surgery' may still be necessary too ;)

tech_monkey wrote:Seems Oyyy.co.uk have sold out of lapdock for the moment.

Given the low prices these are being sold for, I'm assuming they're end-of-line clearances, which would mean that oyyy probably won't get them back in stock?

Oh and with the correct adapters I reckon you could use a USB Y cable. One thought using this method, I would be injecting 5V into the USB socket on the PI.

Yeah, so to be on the safe side you probably want to disconnect the 5V line from going to the Pi's (full-size) USB port, as veryevil's earlier picture shows.

For such narrow-gauge wires, I find just using my teeth to strip them works fine :|
rrolsbe

Postby rrolsbe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:54 pm

I purchased one of the closeout $50 LapDock Bionic units today. I do not have the cables I ordered to completely connect my Pi to this unit yet but thought I would see if the LapDock would supply power to the Pi. With the LapDock lid open, battery fully charged and power supply connected to 110, I performed the following power tests. Nothing I connect to the two USB ports on the back of the LapDock appear to be getting power. I connected a USB LED light, USB mouse no indication of power to either. I then connected a USB cable to micro-usb cable between the Pi power connection and both (one at a time) the USB ports on the LapDock, no indication the Pi was receiving any power. I then plugged the Pi directly into the microusb phone connection (the one on the left side located on the flip up panel on the LapDock) and none of the status LEDs on the Pi turned on. I also have the Atrix LapDock coming from an Ebay order. What are the differences between the Bionic and Atrix LapDocks. I thought both units should at least supply 100ma of current (with the lid open) out the two standard USB ports on the back of the units. That should power an USB LED light/mouse just fine? I read on another forum that the two standard USB ports on the back where turned off when the lid is closed (to save battery power); however, the power on the microusb connector located on the flip up panel always supplies power.

Any ideas, is this normal??
Regards, Ron
veryevil

Postby veryevil » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:05 pm

The lapdocks do not enable usb power until the HDMI is connected. This is built into them. Luckily connecting the unpowered PI via hdmi will enable the ports which in turn power the Pi.
rrolsbe

Postby rrolsbe » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Veryevil

Thanks for info about the HDMI connection requirement to enabled ALL USB power on the LapDock units. So if the HDMI cable is connected between the Pi and the LapDock, the power is always available on the microusb connection on the LapDock flip out(even if the lid is closed - assuming the battery is not dead or the charger is plugged into 110)? With the HDMI connected, the lid controls the power to the two standard USB ports on the back? Guess I will have to wait for my HDMI adapter/cable to test even the power.

Thanks Again Very Much
Regards, Ron
JonB

Postby JonB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 am

Well my connectors turned up and I spliced a Y cable together and setup the config.txt (disable_overscan=1 / hdmi_drive=2).

Wow, what a picture. It's really sharp, pixel perfect. So what I need now is a demo so I can check the sound is working - any suggestions?
JonB

Postby JonB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Has anyone been able to get the trackpad recognised as a trackpad rather than a mouse?

I ask because I'd like to use multitouch gestures. .var/log/Xorg.0.log reports it as a mouse with 1 button on /dev/input/event0 (although the "emulate centre button" works - click both buttons simultaneously gives paste in terminal).
Joe_T

Postby Joe_T » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Afik, the trackpad does not support multitouch on the Lapdock 100, this is a hardware design.
As far as sound goes, Debian Squeeze has an audio file you can test. It is located in one of the menus, I don't have my Pi in front of me so I can't tell you for sure where it is located.
JonB

Postby JonB » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05 pm

We'll see, Joe.... Not all Lapdocks are created equal, you know. Atrix is the latest model. Meybe I'll be lucky!

;)

[Edit: You win, mate : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge5UWtV4u7A ... darn it! ]
Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Postby Jim Manley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 pm

This looks like so much fun, I just ordered a lapdock and cables via Amazon (free SuperSaver shipping - the only way to fly :) ). I was strongly motivated by the most recent (and now, the absolutely last) time I unplugged the rat's nest of cables from my Pi, gathered up the full-sized 86-key keyboard, mouse, USB hub, etc., and dumped it into my backpack in order to take it to an event to show it off. However, since my 19-inch DVI monitor won't fit in my backpack (with profuse thanks from my poor already-aching back), I've always had to bother someone to take over a monitor on their desk since there often hasn't been a projector (with HDMI/DVI) in the confined spaces where I've shown it (usually just someone's cubicle).

The next step will be to construct a shallow case that has the same footprint as the lapdock to contain the Pi, USB hub, power adapters, stub cables and external connectors (all on one side at the back, of course :) ), etc. Two stub cables will come out of the back of the case that will plug into the back of the lapdock, a power cable will come out of the back of the case, and with WiFi inside the case, I'll be able to drop the lapdock and case into my backpack in one motion, and it will be rat's nest no more, to boot!

Thanks very much for the inspiration and excellent write-up here and in the wiki.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
Joe_T

Postby Joe_T » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:31 pm

JonB wrote:We'll see, Joe.... Not all Lapdocks are created equal, you know. Atrix is the latest model. Meybe I'll be lucky!

;)

[Edit: You win, mate : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge5UWtV4u7A ... darn it! ]

Lol.. the Lapdock 500 supports 2 finger scrolling etc... maybe we'll get lucky and they'll have a fire sale on those :D
Lob0426

Postby Lob0426 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:35 pm

I just ordered a atrix lapdock for $69.95. Comes with a set of adapter cables for other cellphones. Ordered a HDMI male to HDMI micro female adapter. With these Ishould be able to use both a RasPi and my Panda Board ES with the Lapdock. The adapter may take up to three weeks to get here as it is only available from china. These lapdocks are currently available from Motorola at $99.99 as Motorola cameo out with an updated version. It is the pro 500 with. 14.5" screen.

This is going to make it very easy to work on both the RasPi and the PB. I have been watching this thread and it has developed very well. Good job people. I hope to design an adapter that will make the RasPi a drop in for the lap dock.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Postby Jim Manley » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Lob0426 - When I looked at the Motorola site, it's still showing the 100 at $249.99 through checkout without actually buying it - where did you see it for $99.99 from Motorola?

The advent of the 14.5-inch 500 is very interesting as that suggests that the retail/enterprise sales of the 100 were sufficient for Motorola to make a sufficient profit on it, even though they're still widely available at less than 20% of the list price only a year after they first became available in volume. That also just goes to show how much profit such accessories accrue, as we're already becoming aware of how inexpensive the constituent parts and even assembly labor are - and the after-market entities selling off the 100s are still making a profit even at these depressed prices.

I'm already budgeting for an upgrade to a 500 a year from now! :D
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
Lob0426

Postby Lob0426 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I saw $99.99 at the Motorola site on sale a couple of days ago. The page is completely gone now. I found this at amazon for new.

http://www.amazon.com/AT-Laptop-Dock-Mo ... 20&sr=8-26

This is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-ATRIX- ... 574wt_1010

Montala

Postby Montala » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 pm

I see that the EBay one included a couple of cables also, which I assume would come in handy for connecting a Raspberry Pi?
Lob0426

Postby Lob0426 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:52 pm

The cables are so you can adapt other cell phones to the dock. You have to build an adapter that runs power to the micro USB power on RasPi and data from a USB on RasPi to the Lapdock you then need a HDMI male to HDMI micro female adapter to one of those cables. The best would be a short HDMI micro female to HDMI male cable. I have not been able to find one at all.

The one cable is a micro B female to micro B male (picture shows male/male) you will tap into the data lines with a USB A male end. This has been discussed further up this thread. None of this is real hard. The wires are kinda small but it just takes some patience and some research on the web as to USB color codes. The Lapdock is a great solution for working with a RasPi. The original price was prohibitive at $349+.

The Lapdock provides a screen, a pointing device, a powered USB hub (only two ports :? ) and a keyboard in a unified package. Add to that a battery and charger. I had ignored these Lapdocks due to the price. It is a good thing the OP looked into these.

godFather89

Postby godFather89 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:42 pm

What is the maximum uptime that someone achieved with lapdock + raspberry running on battery?