bmstrong

Re: I made a Raspberry PI Laptop

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:36 pm

croge wrote:Finally received the last component for my cables today, now have a fully-functioning lapdock - Motorola Atrix. Total spent on cable components, £5.59, all from China/Hong Kong.

After firing it up it works like a dream. Very much looking forward to playing around around with it now!

Some simple instructions can be found here for advice on how to build a lapdock and which parts to purchase:
http://rasathus.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/ ... y.html?m=1
Thanks. I'm in the process of assembling mine. What I really want is for someone to make these available for purchase:

http://youtu.be/zPGt2EmQEo8

bmstrong

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:40 pm

timb wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know I have about 100 each PCB mount micro HDMI female, USB micro female, USB B female and HDMI female connectors coming from China. I've designed a small PCB to route the connections. The board will fit in place on the Lapdock and adapt it to standard female USB B and HDMI female connectors.

Once the parts get here I'll post some pictures of the first prototype.
Any movement on this? It's been awhile since you posted. Does anyone in the US have an extra USB 2.0 A female to Micro USB B female adapter cable? I hate to wait for a month for it to arrive. I'm happy to offer something for your troubles. You figure a place like Monoprice would have these readily available.

brendank

Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:36 pm

I'm using a lapdock for the Droid Bionic, A-to-B micro HDMI and USB cables, and micro to standard USB and HDMI converters. The USB is plugged only into my USB A port on the Raspberry Pi.

For some reason, I can't find any information on the battery in the lapdock. Raspbian acts as if the battery doesn't exist. Same thing with PiBang. Is this because I'm using the Bionic dock rather than one for the Atrix or is it because I'm not using a split cable to plug in to the Micro USB power port and the regular USB port? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Mortimer

Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 am

There is no communication between the Lapdock and the Raspberry Pi about battery status on mine. I didn't expect there to be, to be honest. Batteries with built in 'intelligence' usually communicate over SMBus, a derivative of I2C. I wonder if there is an SMBus to USB adapter buried in there somewhere, which might allow interrogation of battery status? I suspect not, as the dock is designed to connect to something that has its own internal power, there is definitely a controller in there though, as this is what drives the battery status indicator on the front.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

johnbeetem

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Mortimer wrote:There is no communication between the Lapdock and the Raspberry Pi about battery status on mine. I didn't expect there to be, to be honest. Batteries with built in 'intelligence' usually communicate over SMBus, a derivative of I2C. I wonder if there is an SMBus to USB adapter buried in there somewhere, which might allow interrogation of battery status? I suspect not, as the dock is designed to connect to something that has its own internal power, there is definitely a controller in there though, as this is what drives the battery status indicator on the front.
Someone who has an Atrix phone can see if the Atrix software displays battery status on the screen. If it does, then it must get that information from somewhere, either by talking to a hidden USB device within Lapdock's internal processor (the one which handles the keyboard and such) or over the HDMI's I2C bus.

For now, just make a little robot that pushes the battery level button every now and then, and use a RasPi camera to tell how many LEDs are on :)

Doc_152

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:05 am

johnbeetem wrote:
Mortimer wrote:There is no communication between the Lapdock and the Raspberry Pi about battery status on mine. I didn't expect there to be, to be honest. Batteries with built in 'intelligence' usually communicate over SMBus, a derivative of I2C. I wonder if there is an SMBus to USB adapter buried in there somewhere, which might allow interrogation of battery status? I suspect not, as the dock is designed to connect to something that has its own internal power, there is definitely a controller in there though, as this is what drives the battery status indicator on the front.
Someone who has an Atrix phone can see if the Atrix software displays battery status on the screen. If it does, then it must get that information from somewhere, either by talking to a hidden USB device within Lapdock's internal processor (the one which handles the keyboard and such) or over the HDMI's I2C bus.

For now, just make a little robot that pushes the battery level button every now and then, and use a RasPi camera to tell how many LEDs are on :)
It does show battery percentage. if it shows the phones or the docks, i honestly cant recall. I try it out tomorrow. I'm running jellybean atm and Its too late (2am) to start flashing back to ginger.

EDIT: It shows only the phone's battery percentage. On the lapdock battery tab it tells you to check the 5 lights on the front.

fredoll

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Just got the cables for my Droid Lapdock.

here are the refs from dx.com

http://dx.com/p/66079
http://dx.com/p/173210
http://dx.com/p/172524
http://dx.com/p/123738

bmstrong

Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:25 pm

nerd7473

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Very cool, I am making a portable raspberry pi that will be in an Otterbox 3000 I think that would be very cool I will also add a 4.3" display with sound. I can't wait to get done with this project. Also how do I get sound on open arena all I hear is crackling and it cant seem to load the sound files for some reason is there an easy fix?
nerd7473

sam1275

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm very amazing and happy to see this, you find out a great way to use Respberry Pi without Chinese low quality monitor and other parts, but in a affordable price. :lol:
I have my Pi on the shipping way and I plan to make a platform like yours, I found "Motorola Lapdock 100" is similar but cheaper than yours, does it also compatible with the Pi?

Doc_152

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:31 pm

My raspdock is now operational. Not quite finished yet, still some bugs and glitches to work out. But i'm writing on it right now.

Where can i get a hold of that supercap to fix closed lid reboot?

Btw anyone stoked about the accelerated gui? i know i am!

sepeters

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:57 am

coolty wrote:So I think I may have f***ed up on my atrix lapdock. I cut the micro-USB cable from the lapdock's side. I was hoping to solder up a longer usb cable to it, but the colors are all wrong.

That, and the tiny wires. Can anyone help? I need to know what colors on the lapdock cable match up to what colors on a regular USB cable? (ex: brown to ?, tan to ?, etc)

Please help!

Thanks.

edit: pictures (don't worry, the torn up part is just the stupid shielding tape)
Well I was doing the same thing and ran into some problems yesterday by making a bad assumption... After seeing this forum post today I realized maybe I shouldn't assume and just follow my notes on which colors went to which pins from when I deconstructed the micro usb connector.

V+ = 2x Purple
D- = Black
D+ = White
"sense" = NC = Green
Gnd = Blue

I have replaced the Micro USB male connector with a USB Type-A Female connector, I probably should have used a mini-usb female because my flap doesn't close all the way but I couldn't find a female connector easily.

Hope this helps those of you out there doing a replacement on the Micro USB port.

Steve

LDighera

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 am

A glance inside the rear cover (three screws, two under rubber feet) of the Motorola ATRIX LapDock reveals an RF shielded circuit with what appears to be an antenna taped to the cover. I'm unsure if this is BlueTooth or WiFi, but it may offer additional functionality.

Best regards,
Larry
[email protected]
There is no expedient to which a man will not resort
to avoid the real labor of thinking.
-- Sir Joshua Reynolds

Mortimer

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 am

I can't imagine why they would put something like that in there in the first place. I have an Atrix Lapdock too, and the manual mentions nothing about any wireless capabilities of the lapdock itself. Why would Motorola produce a lapdock for a device that already has Bluetooth, Wifi and 3G capabilities, with additional Bluetooth or Wifi? It wouldn't make sense.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

johnbeetem

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:56 pm

LDighera wrote:A glance inside the rear cover (three screws, two under rubber feet) of the Motorola ATRIX LapDock reveals an RF shielded circuit with what appears to be an antenna taped to the cover. I'm unsure if this is BlueTooth or WiFi, but it may offer additional functionality.
I could be wrong, but I think that's just the flexible flat cable that powers the LED that blinks when you're charging the Lapdock.

LDighera

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:31 pm

I guess I was mistaken. The first time, honest.... :-)

To make up for misleading intrepid potential LapDock owners, I offer this link to the best deal on a LapDock power supply I was able to find: http://amazon.com/gp/product/B002QDLGDY.
30W Laptop Notebook AC Adapter Charger Power Supply for HP Compaq Mini 700 PC HP Mini 1100 series Laptops [19V 1.58A,30W]
Price: $7.47 & FREE Shipping
While LapDocks are still available, eBay sellers don't seem to offer the power supplies, or charge double if they do. This item is not OEM, and is labeled as 18VDC, but it seems to work just fine at 1/3rd the price...
-- Sir Joshua Reynolds

Anonymousmkiii

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 pm

I have a lapdock for the Droid Razr (its a 100 still) and was trying to solder a normal size USB onto it. However, the usb has 6 cables, with colors Red Black Gree White, Brown and Grey. Can anyone help me out? id like to get this working.

LDighera

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Here's a clue: http://pinout.net/pinout-scheme/507/USB ... SuperSpeed

Google's your friend.
-- Sir Joshua Reynolds

Anonymousmkiii

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:32 am

LDighera wrote:Here's a clue: http://pinout.net/pinout-scheme/507/USB ... SuperSpeed

Google's your friend.
Thanks, but unfortunately none of these are close to the pinout i am looking at, beyond the RBWG for standard usb. I've tried soldering the brown, grey, and black wires together, but that is still as inconclusive as not being plugged it. And 8 million renditions of googling pinouts for the lapdock ant usb have also been inconclusive, as not a single one mentions a 6-pin usb setup as i have seen.

johnbeetem

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Anonymousmkiii wrote:I have a lapdock for the Droid Razr (its a 100 still) and was trying to solder a normal size USB onto it. However, the USB has 6 cables, with colors Red, Black, Green, White, Brown and Grey. Can anyone help me out? I'd like to get this working.
On 27 August sepeters wrote a comment about this:
sepeters wrote:Well I was doing the same thing and ran into some problems yesterday by making a bad assumption... After seeing this forum post today I realized maybe I shouldn't assume and just follow my notes on which colors went to which pins from when I deconstructed the micro USB connector.

V+ = 2x Purple
D- = Black
D+ = White
"sense" = NC = Green
Gnd = Blue
I believe sepeters was writing about the Atrix Lapdock, but it's probably the same as your 100 except for the colors. Note that there are two +5V wires: this is because the micro USB plug is used to charge the phone so it needs some extra conductance. The ground wire is supplemented by the shield tape around the bundle.

I hope you carefully recorded how the wires were connected to the micro USB connector. Then you should be able to use the standard USB pinouts, leaving the ID wire unconnected.

The six wires go to the 30-pin JHDMI connector on the Lapdock's main PC board. I've analyzed the pinout of this connector for the Atrix Lapdock at my element14 'blog entry, which some people have found useful for Lapdock surgery.

Hope this helps.

jasona99

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:33 pm

I am trying to make a Raspberry Pi Laptop as well, but I have a small problem: the screen keeps going blank about 5 seconds after plugging it in. :x
My setup is:
Motorola Lapdock 100
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PD ... UTF8&psc=1

Micro HDMI to HDMI
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W9 ... UTF8&psc=1

Micro HDMI to Micro HDMI and Micro USB to USB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390527670535?ss ... 1497.l2649

And finally, the USB to USB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120880153677?ss ... 1497.l2649

I have NOOBS 1.2.1 and I have forced HDMI (force_hdmi_hotplug=1 or something like that) in the Raspbian config.txt, and yes, I have a revision of the Raspberry Pi that allows backfeeding through USB, so no splicing is needed.

Any ideas would be great!

johnbeetem

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm

jasona99 wrote:I am trying to make a Raspberry Pi Laptop as well, but I have a small problem: the screen keeps going blank about 5 seconds after plugging it in. :x
That's very strange. I've heard of that problem happening with a Lapdock 500, but not a Lapdock 100 which from what I read works like an Atrix or Bionic Lapdock.

Here's a couple of obvious things to try:
1. Make sure the Lapdock is fully charged by pressing the little button below the front edge of the keyboard. All five tiny white LEDs should light up.
2. Check RasPi voltage from TP1 to TP2. When back-powered from a Lapdock over a short USB cable, it should be nearly 5.0V. That's what I get on my set-up. If it's not, you may have an iffy USB cable or adapter.
3. When Lapdock is hooked up, does it provide power to RasPi continuously? When the HDMI cable is attached to RasPi, Lapdock should power up the Micro USB plug and RasPi's red power LED should light up and stay lit. Since you're seeing the Lapdock screen turning on at all, I suspect the HDMI connection is OK.
4. Does your RasPi work OK with a different HDMI monitor? It's always good to try to narrow down the problem.

jasona99

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 pm

johnbeetem wrote: 1. Make sure the Lapdock is fully charged by pressing the little button below the front edge of the keyboard. All five tiny white LEDs should light up.
2. Check RasPi voltage from TP1 to TP2. When back-powered from a Lapdock over a short USB cable, it should be nearly 5.0V. That's what I get on my set-up. If it's not, you may have an iffy USB cable or adapter.
3. When Lapdock is hooked up, does it provide power to RasPi continuously? When the HDMI cable is attached to RasPi, Lapdock should power up the Micro USB plug and RasPi's red power LED should light up and stay lit. Since you're seeing the Lapdock screen turning on at all, I suspect the HDMI connection is OK.
4. Does your RasPi work OK with a different HDMI monitor? It's always good to try to narrow down the problem.
1. The Lapdock is most definitely charged (I even tried with it plugged in).
2. I have no way to test this right now, but I have switched the HDMI cables with that of my monitor after the Pi boots with power from the Lapdock. The Pi fully boots and displays the login prompt, so the Pi has power. Side note: I plugged the Pi into my wall outlet and managed to get my Lapdock to start, and the same thing happened to the screen, it came on, then turned off after a few seconds.
3. The Pi is powered continuously.
4. Yes, the Pi works with other HDMI monitors.

I noticed that it sometimes takes a few tries before my Lapdock actually turns on, as if nothing is plugged in to the HDMI, so that could be a problem as well, or maybe a factor causing my problem. I also noticed that before it dies, my Lapdock's screen gets significantly brighter, this could be another thing contributing to the problem.

johnbeetem

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 pm

jasona99 wrote:2. I have no way to test this right now, but I have switched the HDMI cables with that of my monitor after the Pi boots with power from the Lapdock. The Pi fully boots and displays the login prompt, so the Pi has power. Side note: I plugged the Pi into my wall outlet and managed to get my Lapdock to start, and the same thing happened to the screen, it came on, then turned off after a few seconds.
3. The Pi is powered continuously.
4. Yes, the Pi works with other HDMI monitors.

I noticed that it sometimes takes a few tries before my Lapdock actually turns on, as if nothing is plugged in to the HDMI, so that could be a problem as well, or maybe a factor causing my problem. I also noticed that before it dies, my Lapdock's screen gets significantly brighter, this could be another thing contributing to the problem.
It could be something flaky with the Micro HDMI cable or more likely the adapter. Those things are really tiny and don't give a me lot of confidence. I'm puzzled about #2: the way an Atrix Lapdock detects that a phone (or RasPi) is plugged in is using the DDC/CEC ground line. [Gory details here.] If it's pulled low (e.g., shorted to the other grounds by the phone or RasPi), then Atrix Lapdock powers on the Micro USB plug, and if Lapdock is open it also powers on the screen and Lapdock USB A ports. If you unplug the HDMI cable from RasPi so you can plug in a different HDMI cable to it, this should cause Lapdock to power off assuming it works the same as an Atrix Lapdock.

You might try skewing the Micro HDMI connectors a little and see if that makes a difference. There may be poor alignment somewhere.

The changing brightness behavior is a poser.

Another thing you might try is setting config_hdmi_boost to a higher value, e.g., 4. This shouldn't make a difference since if it were too low HDMI shouldn't work at all, but it's an easy thing to try and does make a difference if the voltage is a little low.

jasona99

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:44 pm

Boosting the HDMI signal to setting 4 did nothing. I even pushed the connections in very hard before attempting a test.
Out of curiosity, I plugged my actual laptop into the Lapdock. The Lapdock started as soon as I plugged in my laptop, but then died, again. Now I am in the process of rebooting my PC, due to it not switching screens back to normal. :x
Is it possible the Lapdock is broken? I can get a replacement if that's the case.

Return to “General discussion”